Resource Consumption Experiment

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
posted on August 23rd, 2012, 4:08 pm
I have an interesting experiment to propose. This will require the most skilled players to ensure that games is more likely to not end pre-maturely because someone makes an irreversible mistake in the early game.

Observation:
The resources used in the admirals log is usually deep in the tens of thousands if not somewhat into the hundreds of thousands.

Hypothesis:
Games with more players will tend to take longer than games with fewer players, and as a result, more resources will be consumed.

Experiment:
Run enough 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, and 4v4 matches so that each faction wins at least 3 times per match type. Chart all factions resource consumption at the end of each game, averaging out resource consumption on teams that have two or more players as the same faction, noting which team won the match, and which team lost the match, and whether or not it was the winner or loser who consumed the most resources. At the end of the experiment, average out all of the factions highest resource consumption in each game and in each game type, and round the result up so that the resulting figure only has one non-zero (eg: 1,318,502 would round to 2,000,000). Record supply consumption as well.
posted on August 23rd, 2012, 5:30 pm
eg: 1,318,502 would round to 2,000,000

I dont understand that part.
posted on August 23rd, 2012, 5:32 pm
Drrrrrr wrote:
eg: 1,318,502 would round to 2,000,000

I dont understand that part.

I don't understand the whole topic.
posted on August 25th, 2012, 4:36 am
The point is to round up to one significant figure (so only one digit in scientific notation, or only one non-zero digit).

I'm not completely sure why rounding up and using only one sig fig is necessary, though. One possibility is that since we'll have giant numbers here if we round in this manner and there is actually a difference (assuming we have a good sample size) between factions, that will show a significant difference in resource consumption.

Assuming I understand the topic correctly, the idea is to compare resource spending between factions. I don't know how useful data will be, though, because economy is a large part of every RTS and having a better economy, even if only by a few percentage points, often leads to victory.