Fleetops Discord!

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
posted on December 18th, 2017, 8:18 am
Last edited by ray320 on April 13th, 2020, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey everyone, Ray here. I wanted to extend an invite to the fleetops community to join the new Fleetops Discord! You may have seen FunnyStuff post a link to this discord in the tournament thread as a he plans to use it for tournament communications. I think Discord could be a great benefit to our community, and help to keep players engaged and communicating together. This is something I've been talking about with some fleetops members for a while, and with the upcoming tournament think this is as best a time as any to try out Discord.

For those of you unfamiliar with discord, it is a VOIP service like teamspeak, with some additional features. My biggest hope for it is that we can utilize the messaging features in it to help schedule games, talk about flops and try to bring the whole community into the fold. Basically it acts like an instant messaging service that you can divide into different channels, providing a forum for the entire community to use to discuss things in a way that teamspeak doesn't currently allow, and the forums on this site are not tailored for. Also on the sidebar it provides a list of everyone who is online at the moment, giving us an up to date list of potential partners for game. People currently are using a mix of TS and steam to find games, im hoping Discord can help centralize our user base, and that the community enjoys some of the additional features that Discord can offer. Be sure to check out the music bot if you stop by, and let me know what sorts of changes you want, or channels you would like to see, I have based this discord off of another that I am a member of, but it really should be tailored to serve the community.

So I hope you will stop by and check out the Flops discord, I can talk in detail about the features, but it is really better to just experience it for yourself. I know lots of people really like teamspeak and that is great, it is up to you guys to decide what you like best, I just want to extend the offer to the community to try it out and see for themselves.

Thanks,

Ray
posted on December 23rd, 2017, 7:49 pm
Hey all, it's been great to see so many people joining discord, its really helping people communicate and schedule games. Good to see some activity and people enjoying playing! If you haven't already done so please go ahead and join the fleet operations discord https://discord.gg/A3p744V.

On another note, we are also posting replays on Discord. As the fleetops video database does not seem to be properly functioning, this is going to be a great way to index replays. They will be searchable, so you can find the replay your looking for. If you are a commentator and have not yet talked to me, please do so we can get you set up to post replays on the channel.
posted on December 24th, 2017, 3:36 pm
Discord is trash, its freeware and it really shows.
posted on December 24th, 2017, 6:10 pm
I’m sorry you feel that way. I’m not sure exactly what features of discord you are referring to as trash, but discord has made great strides in the last year. I would encourage you to come try it out, it is proving to be a useful tool (particularly the text channels) in helping people coordinate and play games.
posted on December 24th, 2017, 7:25 pm
I've been using Discord for everything the past year (work, study groups, ect). I'm not sure where all this Discord hate is coming from, but it's definitely my favorite plugin/tool for chatting. It seems like quite the gem to me.
posted on January 24th, 2018, 6:00 am
Hey just wanted to give this thread a bump for flops players who haven't yet joined discord. There are a ton of us on the discord now scheduling games, and we are playing games daily. New members keep joining, some who had not seen this post but heard about our discord from their flops friends, so I wanted to give this some more visibility! It is really proving to be a very useful tool for our community, please join!
posted on July 15th, 2019, 10:24 pm
Hey, I'm trying to join this discord, but the link is dead. Is this still a thing? If so can you please shoot a fresh invite?
posted on July 16th, 2019, 2:25 am
posted on April 13th, 2020, 1:06 pm
Could there be a new invite please?
posted on April 13th, 2020, 8:15 pm
I have updated the link included in the initial post on this thread. I also will include a link here: https://discord.gg/9sUmWxJ>

You can also find the link included at the bottom of the fleetops home page. Please let me know if you have any issues joining, hope to see you on the discord soon!