Blown away!!!

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
posted on January 26th, 2014, 2:24 am
Hi

Just stumbled across Fleet Ops when playing Armada II for the second time this weekend - had no idea it existed.

The difference in the game is absolutely mind-blowing! What an amazing feat! :thumbsup:

Makes you realise just how dated the original game is and what might have been if Activision had kept on with the Star Trek games.

I've not had much of a play yet, but my only gripe is no warp, really spoils it for me and makes the game a bit too slow paced - especially when warp drive lies at the heart of Star Trek.

That aside... wow. Just... wow!
posted on January 26th, 2014, 4:29 am
Have you played Armada 1? I personally never liked the addition of warp in A2. What's the point of carefully creating choke points in the map editor if the players can just warp on by?

I think everybody on this site agrees on one thing though; Fleet Ops is teh coolness.
posted on January 26th, 2014, 2:02 pm
I haven't played Armada 1, no. So there was no warp in that? Just seems a bit too slow and clunky for me and at the end of the day warp is part of Star Trek lore.

It would be good if you could at least switch it on when playing against the AI.

Regardless, still an amazing transformation for the game... just wow! :D
posted on January 26th, 2014, 2:32 pm
welcome. yep there was no warp in a1.

chokepoints could still be done in a2, but the map maker had to be more clever about it. warp was impossible when near sources of gravity, such as planets or black holes.

i think the biggest reason i'm happier with warp taken away, is that warp removes an entire gameplay element: positioning. in fleetops if you send your ships out to do something, you leave your bases unguarded. it makes you think strategically about where you commit your forces. also where you build your bases. coming home for repairs is also a longer process. warp would destroy all that. in a2 entire fleets could reposition themselves almost instantly.

warp as an option in the menu would be brilliant. default setting off.
posted on January 26th, 2014, 3:01 pm
Warp makes balance difficult, and escaping from torps is too easy with warp.

Against ai this wouldn't be so bad but vs real players it would drastically change things.
posted on January 27th, 2014, 8:24 pm
I suppose - would be good if impulse was faster though - get bored waiting for ships to get places.
posted on January 27th, 2014, 8:29 pm
DeltaVega wrote:I suppose - would be good if impulse was faster though - get bored waiting for ships to get places.

Play on a smaller map or increase game speed.
posted on February 20th, 2014, 1:25 am
I have encountered Fleet ops before but back then I didnt have a job. I always thought they have done an incredible job so I chipped in with a very small amount of donation that is 5 EUR, Im earning only 3 dollars an hour :(. I hope it keeps their spirit up to slowly push forward those upcoming features list they have. This mod is really like a new game. You cannot describe with words how awesome it is.
posted on February 21st, 2014, 7:00 am
yeah Iv been playing fleet ops off and on for a while now and im still amazed at how great it is. its a true successor to ST Armada. As for warp I felt it was kinda game breaking. I mean it was cool and all but it didn't really fit in game play wise. so im REALLY glad they left that out of the mod, also the ability to fly higher or lower was weird game play wise too.