The Veteran Club

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 5:19 pm
This idea descended from the "New Warp-In Avatar" Topic.
I'll take the federation as an example.

The Veteran Club is a space station, that can only build once, like the Starfleet Command.
It is a meeting place for the crews of the veteran vessels, to play pool, hover ball, or visit the "LAH" (Large Area Holodeck) etc.
It is a place to talk about the unique techs that has been developed by the crews before. A place to create more unique stuff, to make a good ship with a good crew even better.

The station allows the player to promote high rank vessels to veterans. Without it you can't promote a vessel. If the station is destroyed you have to build it again before you can promote a veteran again.
The standard number of veteran slots will not be change -. but there could be two ways to gain more veteran slots:
1. Just like buying supplies in the starbase (I know that will be removed soon) you can buy more veteran slots with supplies.
2. Slots will slowly gain if more than 80% of them are used. With a max-limit of course.

You can build an extension repair dock to the Veteran Club. This will grant your veterans the possibility to warp out of a battle for emergency repairs (fullrepair), the chance that they will do that is 90%. Without the repair dock there is only a 20% chance that a veteran vessel will warp away to save its self from being destroyed.

The repair dock works like a normal shipyard, but only for your veterans.
If there is no repair dock the vessel will warp out of the map for emergency repairs (Lifesupport and Engines) and will warp back to one of your ship yard when that repairs are done.

If you promote a vessel to a veteran it will warp to the station, to get its special ability and stuff.
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 6:27 pm
I like it!

This idea seems like it would sync well with the Klingons in particular, since Klingons would definitely have an designated place to honor their mighty captains. It would work for Federation veterans as well, as Federation craft usually are 'refitted' to some level at veteran status.

I'm not sure how I feel about veterans being able to warp out of battle on a moment's notice, but I love the idea of the shipyard expansion - it makes the upgrades to veteran vessels seem more sensible and less 'click this button to get twice as many stats as before!'

I could see a building like this also being created for the Borg - an 'adaptation node' or something.
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 6:40 pm
interesting idea, personally if any race were to get a building like this, i'd see it as a klingon "hall of honour" thing. they are more likely to compare battle technique. the starfleet officers would be relaxing.

as for the idea of warping out, i don't like that at all for any race. any half wit could figure out the strategy of run away, but it doesn't happen in game. that's for gameplay reasons, but you could hand wave it by saying that fleet battles are fought with anti warp jamming fields to prevent ships from entering warp to run. it never happened in ds9 either (as far as we saw).
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 8:34 pm
I think the main reasons you wouldn't run from a battle using warp drive are;

1) Warp Drive is usually the thing that goes down first. In any given trek battle, after the first hit, some random ensign shouts "We've lost warp drive!"

2) Even if your warp drive is still functional whilst the rest of your ship is falling to pieces, the amount of power it takes to go to warp would mean you'd most likely have to divert power away from weapons, shields or life support. Not a comforting option in the middle of a battle. You can just *bing* warp either, you need to set a course and so forth. Takes a while to "configure" as it were, and whilst you're doing that, if you have diverted power from some other subsystem, you are sitting there even more vulnerable than before.
posted on July 20th, 2013, 7:09 am
Hey!

I thought this was kind of a cool idea - since there is lots of discussion happening on the site, I thought that I would bring this thread up to the top for more debate.

I was thinking that the 'shipyard' portion of this station could possibly be a mandatory refit yard for when a vessel is promoted to veteran - a vessel would travel to this yard, undergo a quick refit, and then emerge a 'veteran' vessel. This would happen instead of a simple 'click this button to become a veteran!' After all a ship should have to be refitted at a yard to gain extra weapons and increased system stats... right?

An implementation like that would add a wait time and building requirement for veteran vessels, but since the building would allow the user to add new veteran slots, it would be worth the time.
posted on July 21st, 2013, 1:36 am
I thought they removed warp drive and only gave it to warp-in s had a good reason... Otherwise it's a great idea...