[NX] A few things I'd like to see

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
posted on April 6th, 2014, 9:55 pm
Just realized nobody has asked for the hull contoured skin shields yet. The style could be defined with a line like shieldtype = x where x could be one of several numbers, each defining a different style. For instance, 0 could be bubble shields (and probably default), 1 could be the double shields the Descent uses, and 2 could be skin shields. To go with this, the ship or station would have a line defining the shield texture, rather than the shield mesh, which would be dynamically generated. Additionally, by defining shield textures rather than meshes you would be able to create a smoother transition from full shields, to half, to crippled, by fading from one texture to the other. Shield remodulation, the corbomite reflector, and other shield altering specials would have their own shield texture defined but make use of the appropriate vessels's shield type.
posted on April 7th, 2014, 12:15 am
game mode
(would have to be singleplayer only) many games have done something similar already with territories. a hybrid of campaign and skirmish. large scale things could be decided in the galaxy map such as fleets that can be moved around, at the end of each game an amount of ships can be sent from one location to another.

a map of the galaxy, divided into sectors. a map taken from the map list (or made specifically for this game mode) is used to represent each sector. it starts off with each race in their respected locations in the star trek universe. basically you can go on a campaign to conquer the whole galaxy for any of the chosen factions. the further you get into an enemy territory the more stations and ships the enemy starts off with.

all stations are placed randomly (this gives replay-ability) tho they could be placed strategically if this turns out to not work well.

each map you start off with an certain invasion force and the enemy doesnt know you are there and will only send out scouts at the start as soon as they find you they start preparing an armada to send to you, you have to set up a base as quick as possible.

you win when you conquer the galaxy muhahaha... and so on
posted on April 9th, 2014, 7:23 pm
In other space strategy games like Galactic Civ or Legend of Pegasus "Each ship is fully customizable; gamers will be able to place weapons and armor and other equipment during the modding phase and then watch their fully customizable ship launch with all the additions fully rendered on the models. "

So, this option would be useful in the future NX version :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WawAFisGpDw

Attachments

build a ship2.jpg
build a ship2.jpg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
build a ship2.jpg
build a ship2.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
posted on April 9th, 2014, 8:22 pm
Different kinds of theaters: Established Base vs. Beyond Frontier with the implied impact on ship behaviour:

Proximity to maintenance and yard facilities (in a larger-than-map sense, unless the size of maps would increase by some orders of magnitude) should encourage standardisation, ships would employ standardised systems and loadouts to ease repairs, minimise yard time and maintain large armaments.

Conversely, in the absence of such facilities, ships have no motivation to keep to standards and therefore may slowly adapt to the roles they are used in to maximise their survivability: System effectivities may bleed over from those less employed to those more employed and loadouts may eventually start to include salvage.

--

Finer granulated crew representation: Number of active crew vs. incapacitated crew vs. detained crew:

As ships take damage or are boarded, crew members not only die but also become disabled. A ship should track disabled crew members and slowly bleed them over into active crew members.

If a ship is boarded, crew may surrender at some point (at last: when all members are dead or disabled) and be detained by the new owner.

Injured crew would continue to bleed over into active crew on both sides after intra-ship combat is resolved in any way (though on the detained side, the rate should probably be lower).

On boarding by an ally of the original owner (including the original owner itself), active detained crew would join the boarding crew in intra-ship combat. If captured, among the disabled crews those in control and those detained would be swapped (mayhap not in all situations; allied crew might be a diplomatic resource... ).

Detained crew (both active and disabled) is cleared (or transferred) on docking with maintenance facility. Depending on faction may be traded for supplies or points toward special effects (say, mercenary warp-in, skipped mercenary pay rate, etc.), mayhap after transport to off-map.

--

Ship voice dependent on communications officer: Voice may change temporarily during heavy combat due to injuries, will change permanently after capture and re-capture or in other complete-loss-of-crew scenarios.
posted on April 11th, 2014, 6:41 pm
hellodean wrote:game mode
(would have to be singleplayer only) many games have done something similar already with territories. a hybrid of campaign and skirmish. large scale things could be decided in the galaxy map such as fleets that can be moved around, at the end of each game an amount of ships can be sent from one location to another.

a map of the galaxy, divided into sectors. a map taken from the map list (or made specifically for this game mode) is used to represent each sector. it starts off with each race in their respected locations in the star trek universe. basically you can go on a campaign to conquer the whole galaxy for any of the chosen factions. the further you get into an enemy territory the more stations and ships the enemy starts off with.

all stations are placed randomly (this gives replay-ability) tho they could be placed strategically if this turns out to not work well.

each map you start off with an certain invasion force and the enemy doesnt know you are there and will only send out scouts at the start as soon as they find you they start preparing an armada to send to you, you have to set up a base as quick as possible.

you win when you conquer the galaxy muhahaha... and so on

So, basically Empire at War but Trek instead of Wars. Not sure if you have EAW or not but there is a total conversion mod thats just for Star Trek only. There you go its already done. 8)
posted on April 11th, 2014, 9:33 pm
If i remember right the NX version will be modible via the text editor. If so, perhaps someone can write a simple conversion program that takes the commands in an ODF from Armada II and converts them to equivalent commands in the NX version. Like = "Shieldstrength" converts to "New Command" Etc. Something that would change just the commands and not the numbers assigned to that command.

Don't know if it's possible but would make converting current mods for FO easier I think, instead of having to redo the entire mod and all the ODF files. (Or whatever type of file NX is using)

Just a thought....
posted on April 12th, 2014, 9:20 am
SPARTAN078 wrote:If i remember right the NX version will be modible via the text editor. If so, perhaps someone can write a simple conversion program that takes the commands in an ODF from Armada II and converts them to equivalent commands in the NX version. Like = "Shieldstrength" converts to "New Command" Etc. Something that would change just the commands and not the numbers assigned to that command.

Don't know if it's possible but would make converting current mods for FO easier I think, instead of having to redo the entire mod and all the ODF files. (Or whatever type of file NX is using)

Just a thought....

If the odf commands do all have equivalent commands in NX, then an Excel macro can be written which does the import, conversion, and export.
posted on April 12th, 2014, 10:34 pm
optec: //edit: whoops, almost forgot: Random events
This is probably one of the features I'm looking (and implementing) forward to most: making space and maps more vivid and interactive. This is something on my wishlist for a decade now, but we were never able to implement it in a real good way for A2. We will definitely focus on that for NX

i like the idea of an improved map. most strategic games lacks of it.
here are some of my ideas.

- perhaps making possible to link maps together with wormholes or warp.

- moving objects like asteroids, asteroid-field etc., ships with strong shields can fly through other take damage or be destroyed.

- black hole with effect, perhaps a planet, asteroids, asteroid-field etc., moving in an orbit around.

- planets with objekts in an orbit

- sun with effect, moving asteroids in ellipse - orbit having a cometary tail near the sun. Ships hull vaporize slowly

- destroyable objekts. an asteroids would going to be an small asteroid-field, planets would going to be asteroids and asteroid-field´s and a sun would going to be dwarf-star. All with effects to near ships and stations. Don´t think a borg-ship is able to adapt to an super-nova ;)

-perhaps ships, that are able to reforge a detroyed planet/asteroid, restart a sun, or build a black-hole

-with a sun and linked maps it would be possible to build a bunch of solar-systems with races start in each one. perhaps a mainmap that is connect with all others

-randomly ion-storms, randomly gravitation-waves etc.

-perhaps some hidden wormholes, that only opens if there is a ship nearby. perhaps randomly placed.
posted on April 17th, 2014, 8:38 pm
Had a mini-map related idea. At present, you can assign a map icon to various things, from map objects to ships and stations. This icon, however, is always just a cut and paste from the texture, like most other sprites. I would like the option to have the icon tinted according to team color for ships and stations. This would allow modders to make the mini-map more informative by, for instance, giving cruisers one icon and battleships another so that a player may get a better idea of fleet movements by glancing at the map.
posted on April 18th, 2014, 6:55 am
Complaints:
My biggest gripe with the A2 Engine was how low movement autonomy behaved. Lord knows how many times my teammates had to endure me bitching about losing ships due to this... :blush: Ships would still move to chase enemies that came within range. As a result, low movement autonomy didn't keep ships from wandering off to their deaths like (I think) it should have. PLEASE put a button in the new engine that keeps a ship from moving, besides rotating in place to point directional weapons at nearby enemies.

MadHatter wrote:I want micromanagement to feel like I'm giving ships orders which are carried out in an orderly manner. At present micromanagement feels like an exercise in optimism -- maybe the ships will do what I asked, maybe not. I'm positive that some things called out as errors in some of the replays are in fact the game doing something lunatic.

I'm really excited for the new engine. With what the FO dev team accomplished on A2 - FO hardly resembles that outdated, broken game - I can hardly imagine what will be possible with the new engine.

Feature requests:
  • More gameplay modes (modification The Void is a great example)
  • Something to do besides shoot at enemies; I know the devs mentioned they would like to make gameplay more like the show where trading, diplomacy, exploring etc. are involved. I would really like to see this.
  • Related to my last point, strategic points on a map besides moons, such as trading posts, refineries, comm stations, spatial anomalies (so many episodes revolved around some weird wormhole/singularity/ion storm/whatever
  • Strategic structures on the map (ex. DS9, wormhole, minefield in Sacrifice of Angels)
  • Adding on to the above point, bonuses/drawbacks for building structures in certain places. Maybe building in a field of small asteroids has some negative effect, building near a Starbase has some positive effect, like faster re-crew rate. These effects could affect a station's hull points, build cost, build time, or any other attributes of the structure...
  • Ex. Perhaps some crazy superweapon station has to be built near a Tritanium extractor because of all the metal needed to fabricate it...
  • Or perhaps build time is (base value) + (distance to nearest Tri moon)*(constant). In this way, strategic decisions about where to build this superweapon would be influenced. Do I have lots of time to build it? If so, build it near the starbase, behind my defenses. If I am in a rush to build it for whatever reason, I may build it in a more vulnerable position near the moon.
  • Following up on that last point: I think it would be great if there were little nuances like this which rewarded the player who takes a second to think through what he is doing and be strategic, while not impeding the novice player. (Novice guy's superweapon may just take a few seconds longer to build, but it's doubtful he will notice that)
    Majestic wrote:I'd love to see a torpedo munition count and have them resupplied from a repair yard.
  • This would add to the strategic value of forward yards, and the experienced player would benefit from his knowledge of proper yard placement while the novice would simply lose some torpedo firepower later in the battle if he was not careful.
  • Some kind of supply/demand pricing system for trade, similar to Sins black market
  • As several others have mentioned, random map events
  • Damageable ship models and the return of depletable moons as hellodean suggested

And I agree with MadHatter, drone971, Optec, Majestic, hellodean... great ideas.
posted on May 21st, 2014, 12:03 am
Last edited by Fisher 2000 on May 22nd, 2014, 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
> A new Federation ability "hazard team" (from elite force + elite force II) this ablity could be upgraded and introduced ether to interpid class starships or a deep space ship like the galaxy or something. when researched, once selected the ablity and a ship it transports a hazard team to the enemy ship and disables a random subsystem and then beams back :D > promethus class starship (one time offer)
> Earth spacedock (map object)
> Bigger maps + possibly more player slot spaces for AI
> Deep Space Nine map object 0
> The Pirate Station from Star trek Voyager: Elite Force
> For The NX Engine it would be pretty cool to see random species entering the battle zone and offering assistance to the alpha quadrant races, the Dominion and Borg can just hijack these ships
> The Doomsday Machine as a map object (TOS)
> THE VULCANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> The ablative amrour ability from star trek voyager: endgame (surely starfleet made use of that tech O.O)
> Admiral Janeway as a slectable avatar :woot:
> Domnion need to calm down in long AI games on hard ( they built like 300 ships and overwheld everything)-.-
> Ability to give AI resources (like in STA2)
> Luna Class Starship (attached Image)

Attachments

Titan_Luna_class.jpg
Titan_Luna_class.jpg (498.69 KiB) Viewed 762 times
USS_Titan_2_by_Animaniacarts.jpg~original.jpg
USS_Titan_2_by_Animaniacarts.jpg~original.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 762 times
posted on May 21st, 2014, 7:07 pm
Ferren wrote:
-with a sun and linked maps it would be possible to build a bunch of solar-systems with races start in each one. perhaps a mainmap that is connect with all others

That would be cool - all of the instant action maps could be plotted into a larger map of the galaxy, allowing for some sort of "galactic conquest" mode where the goal is to take over all the strategic sectors for bonuses. The mode wouldn't have to be too fancy, the bonuses could be stuff like 'Taking over this sector allows you to gather titanium 10% faster'.

The concept of the Federation trying to conquer the galaxy wouldn't make much sense as far as the plot of the shows go, but I'd play it!
posted on May 21st, 2014, 7:57 pm
Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun had a feature like that. Players would choose GDI or Nod and fight for control of the planet. When one side had all of the map, it was reset. Parts of it were recycled for the single player campaign of Emperor Battle for Dune. You could attack any territory adjacent to any of your territories and the AI could do the same. Rather than having a strictly linear story like Starcraft, the campaign was more free-form and the story could be altered by your actions. Emperor's campaign also saved the state of the maps so the next time you went there all the craters remained and if you had used up all the resources you could have serious problems.

Anyway, I agree. Something along those lines for FO, either as a campaign or a multi-player mode, would be a fun addition.
posted on May 23rd, 2014, 7:36 am
A co-op campaign would be cool were a pair of players could play it together. They control either two separate groups/factions or share a group. This would make replaying the single player a more common occurrence.
posted on June 25th, 2014, 7:18 pm
After messing with a fighter launch replaceweapon for a carrier, I would like to see some additional lines for the replaceweapon or even a dedicated fighter launch weapon for NX. The issue is that fighters spawn, then simply move to the nearest target through the carrier's hull rather than moving forward a bit to clear the hangar. I would like newly deployed fighters to behave like newly constructed ships or a construction ship's worker bees in that they would start from a build or launch hardpoint, which could be rotated, then move forward enough to clear the carrier's model. This would likely also allow fighters to have collision so you don't have half a dozen looking like just one because they're occupying the same space.

Additionally, the replaceweapon will currently lose it's child fighters if they are replaced and then spawns more despite the fighters still recognizing the carrier as their parent. I would like it to keep track of the replaced fighters, though I don't consider it as important as the other things listed.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7