fed warp-in avatar

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
posted on May 20th, 2013, 2:41 pm
got this idea from "Y Wing Driver" in the "Improving the Teutoburg" thread about a fed avatar focused on warp in

perhaps they could multi refit old designs? more selective of what those upgrades are?
(cross between romulan refits and borg modules per ship)

boosts to
engines/shields/weapons/range/specials etc

all modern ships could be standard stats only
extra science stations to keep improving ships as the game progresses

thoughts?
posted on May 20th, 2013, 2:52 pm
don't like. :P

this avatar collects just as much resources as the other avatars, enough to build some new ships, but instead asks starfleet to send it a bunch of old ships and spends the same amount of resources on refitting them.

this just would work in a map where everyone else is collecting resources to build fleets.

a separate game mode with no moons, and everyone uses limited reinforcements from their mother empire would be interesting, but that's a lot different from what you're suggesting.
posted on May 20th, 2013, 2:57 pm
Last edited by hellodean on May 20th, 2013, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fair point mr myles

edit
tho using modern ships and continuously upgrading them could work for another race perhaps i suppose
(so all ships are available from start butneeds advanced stations to upgrade to higher tiers(some can be upgraded more than other or something))
posted on May 20th, 2013, 2:59 pm
hellodean wrote:a fair point mr myles

sorry to be a total wet flannel :)

hellodean wrote:edit
tho using modern ships and continuously upgrading them could work for another race perhaps i suppose

interesting idea. maybe the iconians will go this way. less ships, but more time spent teching these ships.
posted on May 20th, 2013, 3:55 pm
Considering a warp in avatar.

Here are some general thoughts. ;)

Well first of all the big advantage (moddingwise) would be that there are enough shipdesigns left wich are currently not used in fleetops.

Would be interesting but i think the whole Federation gameplay would have to be reconsidered (for this avatar) !

Because you would nevertheless need a certain amount of buildable ships to hold the line.......
On the other hand would be cool to consider multiple warp ins (4 or 5 different) replacing a big shipyard rooster.
Those warp ins would not have to be composed of only older ships

Maybe only one Yard for this avatar and more warp in buildings with research options for the ships they warp in..

Would also be cool to make this avatar more reliend on space trade (since we have the trade dock again :dance: :dance: )
posted on May 20th, 2013, 5:18 pm
I'm pretty sure the Iconians planned as a pure Warp-In race, no proper Yards.
posted on May 20th, 2013, 5:39 pm
Yes if the iconians end up as an interesting warp in faction that would be nice too of course :D
posted on May 20th, 2013, 11:45 pm
I kind of liked how Star Wars Empire at War handled it. You didn't build any ships, all your reinforcements were called in and based on cost and time. The only thing you couldn't do was call in ships to an area that you didn't have line of sight.

Frankly that seems better to me than magically building ships and finding crew for those ships in mere minutes. :lol: It also allows for better gameplay as you have more flexibility as to where you place your stuff especially on maps that have choke points. It makes for a much more interesting game if that lone ship that you is approaching that you would normally ignore might just be scouting for a massive fleet that would drop in on top of you.
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 6:17 am
Here are my two cents on a warp-in avatar:

A warp-in avatar would still play similarly to Mason and Rinser, but both of his 'special' ships would be warp-in ships.

The warp-in slots for this avatar would probably be raised slightly, probably to around 12.

Since Mayson specializes in defense and Rinser specializes in attack, the warp-in avatar would focus on raised System Values - so support ships would become more important, and ships would repair faster when out of battle.

Like hellodean suggested, it would be cool if warp-in ships got slight hikes in stats. The hikes wouldn't be a total game changer, but perhaps getting a Galaxy or Ambassador would be a bigger deal under this avatar then other avatars.

This avatar's extra warp-in slots would be balanced by the limitations he would have on his 'special' ships - after all, if it took 4 slots to call one of his special units, he could only order 3 ships total.

Canonically, this avatar would be in charge of deep space ship repair and maintenance, which is why he would have a larger selection of warp-in ships.

I really liked what Falaffelboy said about the trade dock. It would make sense that an avatar like this would be more reliant on trade then others - I'm not sure how this could factor into gameplay, but it would probably also serve to balance the expansion of the avatar's warp-in slots.

As far as special ships go, I would love to see one aggressive 'canon' cruiser and one 'experimental' support cruiser. The Galaxy X class comes to mind, but the Galaxy X has been overused in STA II mods.

Thoughts? Thanks for reading!
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 1:40 pm
i dont think the galaxy x would be used but it would be good if all of the warp in ships could for a cost be refitted a few times (small ships have less upgrade slots, bigger ships have more)

you could upgrade an excelsior to the level of the one that fought the defiant for example
galaxy could have up to 4 upgrades, duel phaser targeting (doubles phaser damage, improved shields etc etc)

they would have to sit idle while the upgrade constructs

if you max out upgrades you could pay to remove it from the warp in slot

surely it would be cheaper to fit in some new gadgets on an old chassis than to build a whole one from scratch
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 2:28 pm
hellodean wrote:surely it would be cheaper to fit in some new gadgets on an old chassis than to build a whole one from scratch

no. otherwise starfleet would consist of a bunch of nx classes with upgraded bits. starfleet designs and builds new ships precisely because refitting old ships doesn't cut it. adding new tech to old ship designs would either be impossible, or very expensive. current navies don't keep old designs indefinitely. naval shipbuilding paradigms have changed as well, a dreadnought would be almost irrelevant in the days of naval aviation might.

i think the excelsior lakota design should be a veteran bonus. like the galaxy becomes a venture refit. these veteran ships probably have a very popular captain (eg picard) or a high ranking officer's presence or support (eg admiral leyton).
posted on May 23rd, 2013, 6:34 pm
hellodean wrote:i dont think the galaxy x would be used but it would be good if all of the warp in ships could for a cost be refitted a few times (small ships have less upgrade slots, bigger ships have more)

you could upgrade an excelsior to the level of the one that fought the defiant for example
galaxy could have up to 4 upgrades, duel phaser targeting (doubles phaser damage, improved shields etc etc)

they would have to sit idle while the upgrade constructs

if you max out upgrades you could pay to remove it from the warp in slot

surely it would be cheaper to fit in some new gadgets on an old chassis than to build a whole one from scratch

I really like the idea of being able to remove ships from the warp-in slots. I'd definitely pay a sum of money (1300di + 800tri) to remove a Decent or something like that. It would also be cool if that ability was exclusive to the warp-in avatar. It would allow him to warp in more ships then other avatars, yet still be balanced with the other Fed avatars.

Like Myles said, I'm not sure that the Federation would upgrade all of their old chassis. It would be nice to have the option though.
posted on May 25th, 2013, 3:00 am
Yes all together some very nice Ideas!!

A very interesting Bonus for a warp in avatar to choose the ships wich should be warped in!!

Also the thing with the deep space repair and stuff.

As I stated the 4 or 5 different warp ins, I ment it in a very similar way like Y Wing driver mentioned it.

By the way dude I like your overall idea! :thumbsup:

but more like a researchable mechanic where you can tech up the possibilities to warp in i think up to the ability to warp in a fleet of 6 Ships with a long cool down time. But on the other hand.....to be able to choose the ships is cool