Constructors/Mining stations construct mining ships.

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.

Question: Who built the mining ship? And is it a good idea?

Total votes: 15
Epic idea, either way!1 votes (7%)
The constructor, and awesome idea!0 votes (0%)
The mining station, and I love this idea!5 votes (33%)
The constructor, obviously.2 votes (13%)
The mining station made it!2 votes (13%)
I don't know...1 votes (7%)
The constructor made it, but it doesn't matter cause it's not a good idea.3 votes (20%)
The mining station, but really, this isn't a good idea.0 votes (0%)
I don't care, it's not a good idea.1 votes (7%)
posted on July 18th, 2013, 6:41 pm
Last edited by CreepersNemisis on July 18th, 2013, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well it just makes sense. They build mining stations, which come with pre-built mining ships. What built the mining ship? The constructor or the mining station? So which has the capability to build a mining ship? The constructor or the mining station?(See edit 1.) Either one would be really useful.

If you have an idea of how to make this better or you see a problem with it, please comment below! I'll try to put any good ideas here as an edit! =)

EDIT 1:
Shadow made the good point that since mining stations don't have industrial replicators or the like, then if it should turn out that miners are built by mining stations, they should be built more slowly than by starbases.
posted on July 18th, 2013, 8:25 pm
I doubt either built it. It was probably made at a shipyard, you just don't see it.
posted on July 18th, 2013, 8:31 pm
One thing, mining station do not have resources as base does (crew,industrial replicators, big construct facilities), so these miners from mining station should build slover than from base.
posted on July 18th, 2013, 8:41 pm
Tyler wrote:I doubt either built it. It was probably made at a shipyard, you just don't see it.

Bbbut...
I can build mining stations without a shipyard.
I can quene ships and they will never stop building.
So then what am I?
Shadow24 wrote:One thing, mining station do not have resources as base does (crew,industrial replicators, big construct facilities), so these miners from mining station should build slover than from base.

Good idea! =D Adding to OP.
posted on July 18th, 2013, 8:58 pm
CreepersNemisis wrote:
Tyler wrote:I doubt either built it. It was probably made at a shipyard, you just don't see it.

Bbbut...
I can build mining stations without a shipyard.
I can quene ships and they will never stop building.
So then what am I?

There's more to the Federation than one little system. Reckon the freighter-building starbase (which kinda predates the mining station) just appeared out of nowhere?
posted on July 18th, 2013, 9:16 pm
Obviously, the starbase was built by a construction ship. Which then abandoned it. (Well, there was that time travel incident...)
posted on July 18th, 2013, 9:54 pm
Gameplay-wise,

It would be an extremely nice feature to have mining ships build from the mining stations, but the feature would change the gameplay of Fleet Ops a little bit. The change wouldn't necessarily be bad, but it would force players to change tactics. Specifically:

- A player can now build and operate extremely remote mining stations during the early part of the game with less consequence.

- A player can use mining stations in conjunction with shipyards to create large numbers of mining vessels at remote locations.

- Raids on mining vessels now have less of an impact since vessels can simply be rebuilt at the station.

- If a resource hike was imposed on mining vessels built in mining stations, it would give players a new strategy option- create mining vessels at the starbase cheaply or build remote mining stations and get them operational for more cost.

- If a time delay was imposed on mining vessels built in mining stations, it would allow raids to stay about as dangerous as they are in the current version.
posted on July 18th, 2013, 11:00 pm
So you're promoting a resource hike? If you are I might add it to the OP.
posted on July 23rd, 2013, 4:57 am
I feel if mining stations were to build Mining ships the ships should take longer to build by at least 75% more than a Yard built one. Offensive values and defensive values be 1 less than a star base built one . Example, If it takes 60 seconds to build from a star base then the Mining colony built should be thus 60 seconds plus the 3/4 %(45 seconds) penalty added on. So a ship would take roughly a 105 seconds to build. Maybe as an added penalty the mining/ refining shuts down while the mining ship queue is enabled. :-\ Not for the Dominion Race since the already have the ability to switch modes on their resource ships.
posted on July 23rd, 2013, 3:34 pm
If they got that nerfed, I doubt there would be any practicability left to building them at all. I can think of maybe one situation where it would be worth it to me. I do understand a longer build time, and more resources... Mining shut down maes sense, but in my opinion it would be overnerfing... Then again, there will be plenty of changes in the next version.
posted on August 29th, 2013, 3:17 am
I do like this idea, and I think increasing the construction time is enough of a nerf. If that isn't enough, perhaps some sort of modular upgrade could be added to the mining station. Initial stations would be unable to produce miners and would have the same economic requirements. Having a 'upgradable' module would require a larger investment in the station as well as the miners.

The basic idea would be to encourage this kind of construction ability only in areas where a player has already fortified the position. The ability would basically serve as further fortification.
posted on August 29th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Jinseta Yensei wrote:I do like this idea, and I think increasing the construction time is enough of a nerf. If that isn't enough, perhaps some sort of modular upgrade could be added to the mining station. Initial stations would be unable to produce miners and would have the same economic requirements. Having a 'upgradable' module would require a larger investment in the station as well as the miners.

The basic idea would be to encourage this kind of construction ability only in areas where a player has already fortified the position. The ability would basically serve as further fortification.

That's an interesting thought but I think the point is that the station already has the ability to build a constructor.
posted on August 30th, 2013, 1:14 am
CreepersNemisis wrote:That's an interesting thought but I think the point is that the station already has the ability to build a constructor.

True, but it seems some would want the build time and miner attributes to nerf that ability. Increasing the build time is a good nerf to me, but altering miner attributes seems too complicated from a strategic standpoint. That's where's the module comes in as an additional nerf.