Borg Repair Yard

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
posted on June 12th, 2013, 2:52 pm
Hey everyone :)

So I've been thinking (gasp, I know lol) and it just seems silly that the Borg have no way to repair ships other than regeneration. It doesn't make sense that they'd just let heavily damaged vessels float around the base waiting for them to fix themselves. At the same time I realize there is a balancing issue. So this is what I'm thinking.

Borg Regeneration Center or Vessel Alcove or some other name that makes sense.

Specifications:
-Only one can be built
-Make it sorta expensive for balancing but can still be constructed for early game
-A) You have to research which chassis the center can repair. Larger chassis cost lots of resources. Want to repair Scoutcube? Then you have to research that ability. One for each chassis and expensive for the big ones. Perhaps set a limit to the number of researchable chassis, like with the Borg Transmission Matrix.
OR
-B) Regenerating vessels at the center costs resources per second. Similar to the Recycling Center consuming supply, maybe the Regen Center consumes all three.
OR
C)- Some combination of the two.
-Optimize-Grants small cost reduction to research or decrease the resources consumed
-Assimilate-increased regeneration rate(cause assimilating lets you adapt and improve)

So what does everyone think? Doable? Not doable? I'd like to hear as many thoughts as possible. Oh and 'ahem'

Resistance is Futile :borg: :assimilate:
posted on June 13th, 2013, 12:15 am
yeah i see your point,

i think your right about costing resources and research to do it to help balance it out
posted on June 13th, 2013, 12:46 am
If the Borg get a repair yard, I'd prefer only Probes and Scout Cubes (or ones without regen modules) to use them.
posted on June 13th, 2013, 1:40 am
I like the idea. A Borg Halo comes to mind.

I like the consumption of resources, but not of supply. Using CC might make more sense, but you would defiinately need to increase the rate of CC gain to compensate.

Perhaps there could be a Halo that operates in a similar manner to Romulan singularity stations. Borg ships retreating to this station can have a regeneration buff once inside the station's range. Balancing it's benefits economically is also a good idea, but you can also alter a vessel's attributes while in the Halo's field.

For example, you get reduced attributes while in the field. Speed or weapon firing rate would be my first choice. You can further balance this by allowing the Halo to affect stations within it's range. Since the regen buff would probably be lesser as the chassis got bigger, stations would see the slowest regen buff, but suffer the same reduction in attributes. This means you will want to keep the Halo a good distance from the Complex or turrets.

If that still isn't a good enough balance, you can also distribute the regen buff equally among everything within range. Just like the Romulan singularities; get too many ships and the buff is no good. This is also a good reason to keep it away from stations. This would also require a player to guard it with ships.

You could also use this to lessen enemy ships' attributes if they enter the field.
posted on June 13th, 2013, 5:14 am
Last edited by cabal on June 13th, 2013, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jinseta Yensei wrote:Perhaps there could be a Halo that operates in a similar manner to Romulan singularity stations. Borg ships retreating to this station can have a regeneration buff once inside the station's range. Balancing it's benefits economically is also a good idea, but you can also alter a vessel's attributes while in the Halo's field.

The field would make sense in-universe as a nanite cloud while also making it easy to see the borders.
posted on June 13th, 2013, 8:41 am
Maybe a state of hibernation for Borg vessels could fit the problem. In previous versions there was the Uplink ability for each Borg vessel. What if the Borg vessel would loose its movement ability and fire power during the state of hibernation. In this state the vessel would gain a higher regeneration rate until the hull was fully regenerated. This ability could only be activated in sensor range of a Borg station construction. So just parking the Cube in the next nebula would not work.
posted on June 13th, 2013, 2:12 pm
I like the ideas of a nanotechnology cloud or a special ability. But the reason I think that couldn't be done is balancing. If a Borg player could fix all those powerful ships quickly at base and then come back it would be too overpowered. Which is why I suggested a station that can only fix one ship at a time. I suppose that could be applied to the nanotechnology field idea or the ability one. Only one ship in the field at a time or only one ship can use the ability at a time.
posted on June 13th, 2013, 2:24 pm
Oh, I see. Yes that's an argument. But on the other hand what sense does it make to have one ship in the repair yard .. it feels rather unborgish to me. Personally I don't see the problem in the ability to regenerate somehow in the base for as many ships as you want. The trick is to bring this ship out of the game's reality for some time for the gain of faster regeneration as usual. The rate at which a vessel would regenerate could be a nice balancing wheel for the devs since it isn't too complex to make it fit.
posted on June 13th, 2013, 6:52 pm
borg in series allways should win as they are so overpowered..... only heroes stand in their way

borg in fo need to be balanced....

repaire in some way is good idea, but carefully to save balance of the game...
posted on July 18th, 2013, 8:58 pm
Maybe some already existing station could have a regeneration beam that, when used on a borg ship, regenerates it.
I like your idea regardless of how it's done(in a non-game breaking way, of course.)