A bit of a different Mixed Tech concept

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
posted on February 16th, 2014, 4:13 pm
Well... I am currently working on a big (aka really big) proposal to the fleet operations community. But an essential part of it is the mixed technology concept that would be within it.

I was thinking that there would be a research station and similar to the Borg technology you have so many slots of research. However! You are researching your allies' technology. For example: Lets say it was applied to the Romulans (hypothetically, not proposing it would be). And what I could do is research the Intrepid's Tricolbalt ability and it'd be equipped on all of the Cehlaer class vessels, or I could research the Klingon Cluster Torpedo and have it equipped on the Generix class. There are lots of possibilities with this.

I was thinking that probably it'd be similar in concept to how the Stock A2 Tech Assimilator would work... except you don't need to capture and decommission a ship to do it. Instead you research your ally's tech and then certain tech can be applied to specific ships. (The ship it applies to would be preset, and the more high of a tier the technology is the more research slots it takes)
posted on February 17th, 2014, 8:15 pm
I like this, it would definitely make capturing a construction ship a high priority in a match.

How would it work as far as UI implementation? Would you have a set # of possible technologies, and when you select a tech would you have a specified number of ships to apply it to?
posted on February 17th, 2014, 11:53 pm
If I understand this correctly, then there would have to be some more enhancements to the STA2 engine in order to accommodate this. Here's why...

EG (Stock STA2):
(1) Assimilated Akira, now Researches Chain Reaction Pulsar 6 times before cubes get them.
(2) Assimilated Sovereign, now Researches Corbomite Reflector ONCE before cubes get them.
(3) You CANNOT chose which cubes get Corbomite and which ones get Chain Reaction Pulsar. They will all get first the Pulsar, then the Reflector (if they have the slots).
posted on February 18th, 2014, 12:31 am
Yeah I understand. There will have to be some changes.

And to clarify Y-Wing.

It would be merely a research facility that your construction vessel would build. And you basically research the ally's weaponry and tech as you would research in the Borg Technology Complex. So if we had say 30 research slots, the Sovereign's Engine Overload ability would cost say 4 slots while the Intrepid's Tricobalt would cost 2 or 3. The Negh'Var's Ion ability would cost 5 slots. And so on and so forth.
posted on February 19th, 2014, 3:52 am
That sounds great, and it would be pretty easy to code. My favorite feature for a mod! :D

Now as I mentioned in another post recently, if you want players to have this ability through both allies and captured constructors, you would need two different structures. Or alternately, you could have two versions of the special that are identical, which would allow players to get two tricobalt torpedo specials on their Cehlaers, for example. They would both do the exact same thing and thus be pointless, but players would be free to do it if they wanted to.
posted on February 23rd, 2014, 2:50 pm
Much like. :D

My one concern would be that preexisting ships would have to run through a repair or refit facility in order to use those abilities.

FO has 'modded' ships that are unlocked by research and allies. Could some of the programming problems be solved by simply adding more ships (refits)? One might utilize the special yard already in-game for building these refits, add them to the standard yard's palette, or make a new yard. I like the first of those three.

And while on the subject. It'd be nice if ALL ships were key-linked. The specials don't seem to have one...
posted on February 23rd, 2014, 4:30 pm
Jinseta Yensei wrote:Much like. :D

My one concern would be that preexisting ships would have to run through a repair or refit facility in order to use those abilities.

FO has 'modded' ships that are unlocked by research and allies. Could some of the programming problems be solved by simply adding more ships (refits)? One might utilize the special yard already in-game for building these refits, add them to the standard yard's palette, or make a new yard. I like the first of those three.

And while on the subject. It'd be nice if ALL ships were key-linked. The specials don't seem to have one...

There are two big ways this could be coded: as a copied special ability added to the ships that has the new tech requirement, or as a new copy of the ship that has the special and the ship has the tech requirement. Unfortunately this would be whole lot harder to code currently, so having the ships be refitted before they can use the tech is probably not an option
posted on February 23rd, 2014, 4:56 pm
I see. What about constructable refits? Do the research, the ships become available, and then build them at a yard of sorts.
posted on February 23rd, 2014, 5:47 pm
Well it depends on the ship.

For example, in Tryptic's mod I just added a bug and 5-15 refit for puretech dominion. But I did it by stealing the mixed tech variants of those ships and modifying them, that way all the ship entries were already in place. So if there is a mixed tech variant availabile then it can be done this way.
posted on February 24th, 2014, 7:21 pm
Sounds like the way to go.

It seems pretty easy to add new ships to the game. It was the first thing I was able to do with the old stock. I don't know about adding new research.
posted on February 24th, 2014, 11:15 pm
Well, adding new ships is easy. But those ships will not follow fleet ops weapons rules like the torpedo miss chance, pulse damage reduction or any passives. Adding that is what's nearly impossible without a scripting language