Armada 1 in Windows 10

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
posted on February 27th, 2018, 5:46 am
J4ckDo3, It sounds like your game install has been corrupted somehow.

1. First of all my DirectDraw fix is not compatible with other fixes like dgVoodoo. Make sure you remove all other tools like that before you install my fix.
2. Try re-installing your game, deleting the 'Star Trek Armada' folder and reinstalling. I suspect something go corrupted.
3. If you still have issues please send me your log file ddraw-armada.log.
posted on March 2nd, 2018, 6:59 pm
I can confirm eriedlinger's solution with the 2 ddraw files in the gamefolder on Build 16299.
posted on March 7th, 2018, 4:44 pm
eriedlinger wrote:J4ckDo3, It sounds like your game install has been corrupted somehow.

1. First of all my DirectDraw fix is not compatible with other fixes like dgVoodoo. Make sure you remove all other tools like that before you install my fix.
2. Try re-installing your game, deleting the 'Star Trek Armada' folder and reinstalling. I suspect something go corrupted.
3. If you still have issues please send me your log file ddraw-armada.log.

Thanks for your kind answer. Sorry for the long delay. I had some major problems here and didn't get to it sooner. I reinstalled everything as you said and the problem persists. Here is my log file. Would be so great if you could help. BTW, I also tried different copys of the game and installing it in VMs of XP an W98 and copying the files over to Win10 just in case that the installer behaves strangely. Always the same problem. Under Win 98 in Software renderer everything seems to work find except for abyssimal performance.

Attachments

ddraw-armada.log
(1.56 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
posted on March 8th, 2018, 6:54 am
Interesting. I am not quite sure what the issue is. I am using a GeForce 780 and not seeing an issue. A few things to try:

1. Right-click on armada.exe and go to properties and disable all Compatibility options.
2. Open regedit and go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers". Find the entry for "Armada.exe" and delete it.
Note:Be careful not to delete anything else as you can mess up your computer if you delete the wrong thing.
3. Open Nvidia Control Panel and disable G-Sync/vertical sync for Armada. I have seen this cause issues with other games.
4. Try setting Windows "Scaling and layout" to 100% and then rebooting your computer. Scaling options can be configured in the Display Properties.
5. Make sure you are running at least version 1.2 of Star Trek Armada, version 1.3 is the one I am using.
posted on March 8th, 2018, 10:21 am
Thanks again,

I tried everything you suggested. Still no change. I think I'll give up for now. So many days now I tried to bring this childhood gem to life again. Maybe it is some specific thing in my hardware or driver configuration. It's impossible to tell, I think. Thank you so much for your help, but I think I'll have better luck installing Windows XP in dualboot or finding/building an early 2000s PC for such games.

Have a nice day. If I find something out, I will post it here for people who maybe have the same problem.
posted on March 10th, 2018, 3:06 am
J4ckDo3 wrote:Thanks again,

I tried everything you suggested. Still no change. I think I'll give up for now. So many days now I tried to bring this childhood gem to life again. Maybe it is some specific thing in my hardware or driver configuration. It's impossible to tell, I think. Thank you so much for your help, but I think I'll have better luck installing Windows XP in dualboot or finding/building an early 2000s PC for such games.

Have a nice day. If I find something out, I will post it here for people who maybe have the same problem.

Here is some help:
From my understanding, and to start dualbooting may not have the desired effect. If you were to dualboot your hardware might not be supported. Next, there is an easy simple way to get Armada working on Windows 10. You can use Armada 1.2 or 1.3 it does not matter, next get dgvoodoo 2.0. Here is a link to a video I found on how to get it working after trying dxwnd but having no luck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZbNsgs3zo. If you are still unable to follow please reply or PM me and I will get back to you.
//edit:
You don't have to edit any of your registry keys or anything with dgvoodoo, you simply run the setup in your Armada folder and then change the settings in the application (in the video it shows recommended settings, i only changed mine slightly, any watermark settings I don't use). You do not need to run the application with the game because it still uses those settings without the game being open, like a hook or constant basically, if you have modded copies of Armada as well such as BattleStations mod you can do the same thing, just run the setup in the folder of that copy of Armada, but you do not need to change the settings as the settings save locally so the settings are the same in any copy of dgvoodoo you open in any folder.

Good luck and happy Armada!
posted on March 11th, 2018, 6:02 pm
Hi,

That's really kind of you, but I haven't let anything untried to this point. I followed the exact same YT-video for several times point by point and I am still getting the same error as before. I really don't know what it could be at this point. For now I am leaving it alone. Last thing would be to try it on my wife's Laptop. Maybe the integrated chipset there does a better job. But at this point I don't really think that it is a renderer issue. It really seems more like an issue with missing files. But as I said, I even tried installing it with win98 in VM and copying the files over. Maybe I'll try it one last time. But let me say, I am really overwhelmed by the kindness of you guys. I really appreciate it.

Greetings,

J4ckDo3

EDIT:

The strangest thing is, when I initially installed it some weeks ago, it worked like a charm with dgvoodoo2 in 1080p. But after reboot, this problem began.
posted on April 2nd, 2018, 1:59 am
eriedlinger wrote:I created a patch on GitHub that allows Star Trek Armada 1 to work with full HD on Windows 10. I am playing on 1920x1080 and the game look very good.

Checkout my wiki: https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki/Star-Trek-Armada-1

Thank you! Confirmed working with Windows 10 (1803). :)
I'll update the first post.
posted on April 14th, 2018, 2:32 am
Hi everyone!

I've followed eriedlinger's instructions and have been able to get the game running on windows 10. I'm running it on a laptop which has 2 gpu's and the game only chooses the integrated GPU which might be the cause of a specific issue

The minimap and the fog of war are both blacked out. I tried to force the system to use the nvidia card but it did not work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

gameplay image.jpg
Blacked out minimap & fog of war
gameplay image.jpg (118.84 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
Menu.jpg
Ingame menu
Menu.jpg (77.46 KiB) Viewed 2410 times
posted on April 19th, 2018, 12:58 pm
I have the same exact problem. Same GPU. It appears to be a problem with the hardware. I can use an external monitor with an HDMI cable and the game runs fine. Also runs great on my desktop PC with only one graphics card.
posted on May 15th, 2018, 4:55 am
[QUOTE=Dark Tmn]With this patch everytime i try to change the resolution it is auto scrolling to the bottom and closes the drop down menu and easy way to fix this or at least get it to select one while scrolling so i could get it after some work?[/QUOTE]
Anyone have an idea on this issue?
posted on May 15th, 2018, 5:58 am
JCarrill0, Try clicking on the drop down menu and holding the mouse down. If you let up the mouse then the drop down menu disappears.

Neumann1701, You must use the integrated GPU because this game uses DirectX 7 and the Nvidia card only supports DirectX 9 and above. See here for details: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3733

I created a test patch that may at least partially fix the issue on your laptop. You can download the update here: https://github.com/elishacloud/wiki-attachments/raw/master/dxwrapper/Games/Star%20Trek%20Armada%201/Armada-Testfix.zip

Let me know how this test patch works for you.
posted on May 15th, 2018, 5:19 pm
Just tried your latest patch and its giving me no difference to the previous fix for windows 10 - the game is playable but the map is pretty much entirely black, outside the playable area is textured but everything else is pretty much just black and buildings/ships are pretty black although there is some texture to them - i'm not really sure what's went wrong
posted on May 21st, 2018, 11:36 pm
I just downloaded and installed the latest intel hd graphics driver and my laptop is now displaying the game correctly. With the last revision and the test revision.
posted on May 22nd, 2018, 8:39 pm
Irimi wrote:I just downloaded and installed the latest intel hd graphics driver and my laptop is now displaying the game correctly. With the last revision and the test revision.

Glad to hear that, if you need any other assistance please feel free to reach out.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6