STA2WidescreenPatch - finally a proper widescreen patch

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on April 14th, 2023, 1:54 am
Hi,

I released STA2WidescreenPatch on GitHub which finally adds proper widescreen resolution support to Star Trek: Armada 2 after 22 years. Besides widescreen support, it also adds support for arbitrary resolutions supported by your monitor (e.g. 1152x864) which were not supported by the original game.

It works on all versions: demo, 1.0, 1.1, GOG.com, and Patch Project 1.2.5.

Info, instructions, and the download for the patch can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/Ligushka/STA2WidescreenPatch
posted on April 14th, 2023, 3:07 pm
Amazing work! Thank you!

Confirmed it works with my Armada 2 - v1.2.5 installation.
posted on April 14th, 2023, 3:08 pm
yochenhsieh wrote:Amazing work! Thank you!

Confirmed it works with my Armada 2 - v1.2.5 installation.

Fantastic, thanks for testing and for reporting success.

Enjoy the game! :)
posted on April 27th, 2023, 9:02 pm
Thanks, that is awsome!

I did play quit a few skirmish missions and some campaign missions for the last few days, and it works very well. No problems so far.

I do have crashes once in a while, but I got them before with the exact same error code, so nothing to do with your work :)
posted on April 29th, 2023, 1:41 pm
Well done :thumbsup:
posted on May 5th, 2023, 7:31 am
DOCa Cola wrote:Well done :thumbsup:

Was there ever a way to get something like this for the menus in Fleet Ops? Or at least to just get a screen-filling-black background around the menus like in the GOG version of Armada 2? When I try to use the GOG wrapper on Fleet Ops the menus become glitchy and/or snap to the upper left of the screen.

Also was there ever a backdoor or some way of getting save and load buttons for the singleplayer escape menu in Fleet Ops 3.2.7? 4.0 has those but 4.0 has unstable memory management.
posted on May 5th, 2023, 10:37 am
JanB wrote:
Was there ever a way to get something like this for the menus in Fleet Ops? Or at least to just get a screen-filling-black background around the menus like in the GOG version of Armada 2? When I try to use the GOG wrapper on Fleet Ops the menus become glitchy and/or snap to the upper left of the screen.

A2-FO is incompatible with the GOG patch. There won't be further development for A2-FO.
JanB wrote:Also was there ever a backdoor or some way of getting save and load buttons for the singleplayer escape menu in Fleet Ops 3.2.7? 4.0 has those but 4.0 has unstable memory management.

This isn't possible. The save/load buttons just do not exist in 3.2.7. The menu was rewritten from scratch for A2-FO. Since our priority was always multiplayer, i just didn't consider adding them at the time. Reimplementing these missing buttons among other singleplayer improvements were a planned addition for 4.0 back then.
posted on May 6th, 2023, 2:10 am
Just want to report that I have success tested this in these OS:
Windows XP SP3
Windows 7 SP1
Windows 10 22H2
Windows 11 22H2

All on real hardware, not virtual machines. Great work!