Notes for Modders: How to use the replacement weapon to crea

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on January 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm
Anyway sorry for the long title, I was thinking last night and came up with an idea about creating a refit yard, here's how:

For our example I shall be explaining it for one ship but it could be repeated with 12+ ships assuming you can see the special weapon buttons when the ship and station are selected.

Ok step 1, take the ship you want to be refitted and use the fusion weapon to merge it and the refit yard. (This is the only step I'm not sure about, I will try it when 1.2.5 is released, it depends on whether the ship will position itself right whether this whole idea will work)

step 2, The new fused ship and yard has a new model showing both together in they're appropraite places hence this will require some modelling skill, alternatly if you have 3dsMax 3-5 you could try animating the yard so it completely encloses the ship.

step 3, the new fused object would be called something like refitcru2 and would have several weapons for your upgrades, lets use for example, add torp upgrade.

step4, clicking add torp upgrade would use the new replaceweapon command to launch your refitted ship, which would be the old one with an extra torp in this case and restore the yard to its origional condition.

You can repeat this with as many different ships as you like, just create different fusion weapons.

I tried to keep this simple but if you want to use it and don't understand something just ask, hope this helps someone.
posted on January 17th, 2008, 12:40 pm
as far as my knowledge goes the armada2 fusion weapon will crash when used with stations. But you could try that with some kind of mobile refit vessel :) a flying yard. that could look cool
posted on January 17th, 2008, 2:24 pm
From what I'm aware you can just give the refit yard a ship classlabel and set engines to 0 but thats what i'm not sure about whether it will work as the ship would have to do all of the manouvering.

I was playing a standard game the other night and tried to fuse some cubes but they just sat there and started spinning really fast, the ships lining up with each other has never been great but hopefully it wont matter if one has no engines.
posted on January 20th, 2008, 3:19 pm
Oh I do hate it when the cubes do not integrate and just spin, bastards! Anyway yeah it would be awesome to see a mobile refit construction ship (made to look like a shipyard) do upgrades.