More than one classlabel per ODF

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on July 3rd, 2007, 9:33 pm
One feature of armada 1 modders benefitted from, is the ability to assign more than one classlable to an odf, is it possible to re-enable this in Armada2?
posted on July 4th, 2007, 7:24 am
Last edited by DOCa Cola on July 4th, 2007, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdmarilRyan wrote:One feature of armada 1 modders benefitted from, is the ability to assign more than one classlable to an odf, is it possible to re-enable this in Armada2?

really? interesting, i will check and see if it is doable. from the very object orientated system used in armada 2 i fear it is not. it should be very similar to armada 1 too, so i wonder how it is possible there.

edit: by the way, the first version should be available later today through armada2files.com
edit2: splitted the topic
posted on July 6th, 2007, 5:53 pm
could you give me a sample or link to a file where that was used in an armada 1 mod?
posted on July 6th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Maybe its the most stupid question ever asked but:
What do multiple class-lables do?
posted on July 6th, 2007, 8:15 pm
this could if i got this right allow to have a shipyard were to build vessel which could at the same time be a research station with research pods. i haven't heard of an armada 1 mod with that feature - if that's what you meant ryan
posted on July 6th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Okay, I see.
So we wouldn't need to build research-stations anymore and could tech all the cool stuff right where it is built in.
In which way could we benefit from that? You're the modders, so you propably already know what this is good for and how it could be used in the game.
I'm suffering from my limited imagination in this point.  :sweatdrop:
But it sounds quite cool. Thanks for the explanation!
posted on July 6th, 2007, 9:57 pm
No mod using it was released to my knowledge but I know very little about armada1, a mod called universal armourgedan used it (but was canceled as far as I know)

I could well be wrong and have misunderstood the meaning, but even if it isn't possible in A1, to be able to do it in A2 would still be very very helpful. Modular bases that you can expand without construction ships, or improvable defencive platforms which you can build turrets onto or something. I'd personally like to combine starbases, mining bases and trading stations into a large command station which is your main station.
posted on July 6th, 2007, 10:15 pm
yea, it would really be a nice addition to modding. i took on that idea a few times.

in theory everything is possible, but would involve a lot of reverse engeneering. even if the c++ source code would be available it would still be a LOT of work. much "collision" checks are not in armada that would need to be programmed first. so i'd say it is not doable. the current data structure used in armada doesn't allow technically to combine those gameobject attributes.
posted on July 8th, 2007, 12:31 am
On the other hand, could you edit or create new classlables, that are less restrictive than some of the current ones? (I'm just bouncing ideas here, my C++ experience ended somewhere between maths calculations and basic arrays.)
posted on July 8th, 2007, 8:38 am
creating may be possible but handler functions for them also would be required. with the source i'd say it would be quite easy to create an "universal" class i guess. i still have to work still with lot of memory adresses which is a time consuming matter. so hard to tell, but if so, not in the near future.