Modular Starbase/Research Stations

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on March 12th, 2019, 4:39 am
I've been looking at this and trying to figure out how to control where a Research Station builds individual pods, like wanting certain ones at certain locations only. I'm trying to make a Modular Base that uses the research station as a base but the individual built stations keep building to locations I don't want them other times they do build where I want them. Is there a way to control where a Research Pod or Station is built on a Research Station?

http://guide.fleetops.net/guide/modding/fo-odf-commands/gameobject/craft/producer/researchstation
posted on March 12th, 2019, 5:52 am
The only ingame example of this is the Klingon Field Yard, I recommend you check out not only the odf files but the SOD models as well.

There is no way to make an extension build on the exact hardpoint you want, since it's based on the order you build them. You can reserve 1 hardpoint for 1 extension, but not multiples.

What you CAN do however, is what the Fleet Ops devs did. They gave the research station model multiple pod hardpoints at the exact same point, right in the center. Then they modified the extension models so that their origins line up with that point. So for example when the Field Yard builds the Special Forces extension, it's actually "building" it smack in the center of the field yard, but the Special Forces model was created with an origin point floating in space to the left of the actual segment. As a result, it builds in the proper position relative to its parent, regardless of which hardpoint it uses.

I could be wrong about this; it's been so many years and there are so many surprising details about how this game is coded. But this is my understanding of how it works >_>
posted on March 12th, 2019, 5:24 pm
Tryptic wrote:The only ingame example of this is the Klingon Field Yard, I recommend you check out not only the odf files but the SOD models as well.

There is no way to make an extension build on the exact hardpoint you want, since it's based on the order you build them. You can reserve 1 hardpoint for 1 extension, but not multiples.

What you CAN do however, is what the Fleet Ops devs did. They gave the research station model multiple pod hardpoints at the exact same point, right in the center. Then they modified the extension models so that their origins line up with that point. So for example when the Field Yard builds the Special Forces extension, it's actually "building" it smack in the center of the field yard, but the Special Forces model was created with an origin point floating in space to the left of the actual segment. As a result, it builds in the proper position relative to its parent, regardless of which hardpoint it uses.

I could be wrong about this; it's been so many years and there are so many surprising details about how this game is coded. But this is my understanding of how it works >_>

I've already tried they but it didn't work out right. I can't redo the models they are existing models from other Mods and I'm having a Research Station build them instead of Research Pods. Even though the FleetOps Klingon Field Yard is also a Research Station I'm getting the same result as trying to build a pod or station on a Research Station that doesn't have the hardpoint stated in the model; at least that's how the crash log shows it.

Plus I don't want to use the Klingon Field Yard as a base for the Modular Starbase because I find that model ugly (no offense to the FleetOps Devs) but for the set up for this mod all races are getting a modular facility and I don't want to use the same model for each.

The fact is one facility builds the stations to the right locations all the time. It's the second attached Research Facility doesn't build the stations in the right spot unlike the first one is. Every test has the selected stations building on the right section.
posted on September 9th, 2019, 7:46 am
The workaround is to make a replaceweapon that repalces the starbase with the upgraded model. The AI can't use that method however (nor can he use the Klingon station's by the way), so you'll have to add the upgraded version of the station of the constructor ship's construction list and hide the button so the player can't exploit it.