Armada 2 planets modding issue

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on August 22nd, 2012, 9:58 pm
Greetings. New to the FO forums but not FO. I am working on my personal build of Armada 2 and want to get rid of planets and colonizing. I'll use the crewgain line to get crew from stations and am using stock A2 with 1.1 patch and Upgrade Project 2.0 with the Midnight Universe stuff.

I want to use the MU planets in the background and just have a dilith moon and a metal moon using the dilith moon model.
The problem is when I deleted planets the AI won't build correctly. If I change a dilith moon to metal the AI will build a mining station next to it but the second it completes, it decommisions it, then builds another and decoms and so on. Once I add a planet back to the map the AI functions properly. Does the stock A2 engine require the presence of a planet on the map to funciton properly and did Fleet Ops get around this only by the recoding?
posted on August 22nd, 2012, 10:38 pm
welcome to the forum

if my limited understanding of the stock ai is correct, then the ai uses build lists to decide what to make. if that build list still references planet based metal mining i think the ai would get confused as it can't satisfy the instruction to build an orbiting metal mine. you might need to learn how to fiddle with the ai to get it to be happy with mining from moons.
posted on August 22nd, 2012, 11:26 pm
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

You need to make sure you changed the AI mining tendencies as linked here: http://guide.fleetops.net/guide/modding ... t.aip-File
posted on August 23rd, 2012, 3:50 am
At Myles: I'm just testing the borg right now and they have no orbiting station so they shouldn't be affected?

What I've done is use the blue dilith moon from Midnight Univers for dilithium and the red dilith moon for metal. I changed the line resource = to "resourcetritanium" so it's metal. Me playing as the borg is fine, it mines metal from the red moon. But the AI still builds the mining and the second it's done it decoms it. Over and over.

At DN: I added mining tendancies for metal = 1.0 to each of the 4 AIP's, hard_aggressive, hard_defensive, hard_offensive, and hard-very-aggressive but still didn't work. Do I have to put those references in each of the 5 AI build lists of each race?

The build lists are stock in that the first mining station gets location 1, then loc 2, 3 and then 4. Is something referencing a planet being needed on the map in some other file? Thanks for all your help.