Armada 1 in Windows 10

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
posted on April 25th, 2017, 11:57 am
Works perfectly! Thanks for sharing that Edmor :woot:
posted on April 26th, 2017, 1:28 am
:thumbsup:
posted on November 14th, 2017, 5:58 am
I won't try to post this twice. Your "host" for the forum seems rather bent on trying to track what browser+system I am attempting to post from (never mind my IP doesn't change).

I have Armada 1 and I tried newer OSes to run it from besides Windows 7, this did not work. Here's the thing: I finally got Windows 7 on this machine again and tried running that newer install which I also tried to play on Windows 8.1/Windows 10, it failed in exactly the same place. So I went onto a different drive and copied an older install which I knew worked and attempted to load it from there, worked PERFECTLY (needed application profile for full effect in my GPU settings for that game specifically, disable crossfire for it). By perfectly I mean I am not using any compatibility settings at all.

The other install would flat out crash once instance loaded, never mind some other graphical problems (crossfire or not).

I tried emailing the main staff member and they have not checked that inbox or they decided to never get back to me. This is a shame because I want to share that install so it can be possible to find out what is being screwed up by win8+ that prevents this game from running properly, even when ran from an OS that it does work on.
posted on December 19th, 2017, 10:10 pm
I followed eriedlinger instructions. When I open DXWnd and click on Star Trek Armada (It has the green dot) nothing happens. Has anyone else run into similar issues?
posted on January 21st, 2018, 1:25 am
use dgvoodoo

i tried dxwnd before but it never got the game working properly.
posted on January 29th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Hi all,

My Armada I crashes instantly to the desktop just like everyone else's. This is not so much of a fix, as it is a workaround.
I have Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (16299.192), 3rd gen Intel i5 and Intel HD 4000 video card. Game patched to 1.3.
This is the way I got the game to work, it's very sloppy, doesn't work every time, but it's doable:

Try to run the game with the shortcut on the desktop, it will crash, but press and hold enter then click on the game shortcut. Release enter when you managed to run the game (sometimes it will run windowed)

If the game starts windowed, quit the game and attempt the above again (the game might also not detect the video card properly, if this happens, try to run the game again)

Once you get the game to run properly and the video card is detected properly in the video settings menu, customize your settings and apply them, then exit the game

Go to the game folder and make ARMADA.PRF read only

That's it, every time you start the game, you need to perform the Enter and click trick
(please note, the main menu bink video cinematics will not work, not even with a codec installed)

I hope someone releases a proper patch eventually, this is an epic game
posted on January 31st, 2018, 4:23 am
pkkilleru wrote:Hi all,

My Armada I crashes instantly to the desktop just like everyone else's. This is not so much of a fix, as it is a workaround.
I have Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (16299.192), 3rd gen Intel i5 and Intel HD 4000 video card. Game patched to 1.3.
This is the way I got the game to work, it's very sloppy, doesn't work every time, but it's doable:

Try to run the game with the shortcut on the desktop, it will crash, but press and hold enter then click on the game shortcut. Release enter when you managed to run the game (sometimes it will run windowed)

If the game starts windowed, quit the game and attempt the above again (the game might also not detect the video card properly, if this happens, try to run the game again)

Once you get the game to run properly and the video card is detected properly in the video settings menu, customize your settings and apply them, then exit the game

That's it, every time you start the game, you need to perform the Enter and click trick
(please note, the main menu bink video cinematics will not work, not even with a codec installed)

Why even try to play armada 1 anymore? Fleetops is a much more stable game and has no issues with crashing at all.
posted on January 31st, 2018, 8:55 pm
picard456 wrote:

Why even try to play armada 1 anymore? Fleetops is a much more stable game and has no issues with crashing at all.

The story is worth playing....
posted on February 1st, 2018, 2:41 pm
The guide that I wrote has helped those interested.
There is some other still complaining about issues for Armada 1 and they can’t get it to launch just like Armada 2.
I would say the best bet is voodoo.

My guide is listed in this thread from a previous post.

- JC
posted on February 2nd, 2018, 5:09 am
eraldo20 wrote:
picard456 wrote:

The story is worth playing....

Valid point. That is something that I miss about the old games was the story gameplay...
posted on February 2nd, 2018, 2:27 pm
I got armada 1 to work on windows 10. Forgot how shitty the graphics were lol think it would be cool to remake armada 1 on fleetops with better graphics.
posted on February 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm
I created a patch on GitHub that allows Star Trek Armada 1 to work with full HD on Windows 10. I am playing on 1920x1080 and the game look very good.

Checkout my wiki: https://github.com/elishacloud/dxwrapper/wiki/Start-Trek-Armada-1
posted on February 14th, 2018, 8:24 pm
I can confirm eriedlinger's patch works like a charm on Windows 10 and the main menu animations work as well.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :woot:
posted on February 24th, 2018, 12:11 pm
Hi everyone,

I was really grateful, when I found this post and the directdraw.dll fix worked perfectly fine. So a big thanks. :thumbsup: But after I rebooted my system, everything was messed up. When I try to start a single player mission (in this case 'Premonitions) I just see a slowly turning planet and hear some garbled sound. No ships, and worse, no Picard. After some some time, or when I hit the spacebar, it stops and I get a map entirely covered in fog and no ships. No buttons are visible and I have to abort the mission. I tried everything. Reinstalling, dgvoodoo, installing and not installing the updates etc etc. I don't understand what happened. In one moment it works and I am playing several missions and in the next moment it just a mess.
I really hope, someone can help me, as I didn't find any other mention of this specific problem.
btw, I am running Win10 64-bit with a Nvidia GTX-770. If any other information is needed, please ask.
Thanks in advance. This is so annoying. I can already feel the gray hair growing. I am trying to fix this for several days.
posted on February 24th, 2018, 11:57 pm
Good graphics? Lol
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6