Armada 1 and 2 crashes in windows 8

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
1, 2, 3, 4
posted on August 4th, 2015, 7:41 pm
Here is at least 1.2 http://www.moddb.com/mods/nathanius-arm ... a-12-patch

Dont know if you need 1.1. first or if its included.
posted on August 4th, 2015, 8:02 pm
yh just tried and nope it dies although im sure i got it up yesterday very odd but havnt played a1 in years so no big loss to me only thing i can suggest if you really wanna play a1 is try a virtual machine
posted on August 4th, 2015, 9:55 pm
Tried that too with virtual box, only the safemode was possible.
posted on August 6th, 2015, 5:41 am
go to \AppData\Roaming\Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations and open the FOData.ini and change "D3D9=False" to "True" and it will be fine. The problem is that lack of DirectX8 support in Windows 10.

Even more of a reason I am happy NX is being made and moving away from this disgustingly outdated version of DirectX
posted on August 6th, 2015, 5:32 pm
eh isnt Fleet Operations for Armada II?

We´re speaking here of Armada I.

Although i didnt tested Armada II yet on Windows 10
posted on August 7th, 2015, 1:12 am
OK. I'll start a new topic for Armada 1 in Windows 10.
Sorry for the confusion. But still thanks for all the suggestions.
posted on July 25th, 2016, 11:34 pm
I bought A2 on Ebay and it arrived today. I haven't played in at least 10 years, since I lost my original disc and have upgraded computers since then. Anyway, I got A2 to install and play, somewhat, on Win8 without any patches. The issue is I cannot save the game progress. About 30 minutes into "Invasion" I decided to attempt a save and it crashed. Is the solution to install FO and the A2 classic mod?
posted on July 26th, 2016, 5:54 pm
Flock_17 wrote:I bought A2 on Ebay and it arrived today. I haven't played in at least 10 years, since I lost my original disc and have upgraded computers since then. Anyway, I got A2 to install and play, somewhat, on Win8 without any patches. The issue is I cannot save the game progress. About 30 minutes into "Invasion" I decided to attempt a save and it crashed. Is the solution to install FO and the A2 classic mod?

I got armada 2 working without FO, we play weekly events at UFPlanets.

However if you want a guide for step-by-step, i can link it here:
https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?59 ... da-2-Setup

and if your interested to join in some weekly events, you can find this weeks event here: (and you dont have to be a UFP member)
https://ufplanets.com/events.php?4901-S ... k-Armada-2
posted on July 31st, 2016, 8:20 pm
JCarrill0 wrote:
Flock_17 wrote:I bought A2 on Ebay and it arrived today. I haven't played in at least 10 years, since I lost my original disc and have upgraded computers since then. Anyway, I got A2 to install and play, somewhat, on Win8 without any patches. The issue is I cannot save the game progress. About 30 minutes into "Invasion" I decided to attempt a save and it crashed. Is the solution to install FO and the A2 classic mod?

I got armada 2 working without FO, we play weekly events at UFPlanets.

However if you want a guide for step-by-step, i can link it here:
https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?59 ... da-2-Setup

and if your interested to join in some weekly events, you can find this weeks event here: (and you dont have to be a UFP member)
https://ufplanets.com/events.php?4901-S ... k-Armada-2


Thanks for the info. I did install A2 from the disc and used the 1.1 and 1.2.5 patches and the game works pretty good. It crashes after the save. That's OK. I am puzzled by the fact that after installing FO with the classic STA2 mod there is no save button when playing single player. But, for now, running the original A2 is good with me.
posted on August 1st, 2016, 5:53 pm
Flock_17 wrote:
JCarrill0 wrote:
Flock_17 wrote:I bought A2 on Ebay and it arrived today. I haven't played in at least 10 years, since I lost my original disc and have upgraded computers since then. Anyway, I got A2 to install and play, somewhat, on Win8 without any patches. The issue is I cannot save the game progress. About 30 minutes into "Invasion" I decided to attempt a save and it crashed. Is the solution to install FO and the A2 classic mod?

I got armada 2 working without FO, we play weekly events at UFPlanets.

However if you want a guide for step-by-step, i can link it here:
https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?59 ... da-2-Setup

and if your interested to join in some weekly events, you can find this weeks event here: (and you dont have to be a UFP member)
https://ufplanets.com/events.php?4901-S ... k-Armada-2


Thanks for the info. I did install A2 from the disc and used the 1.1 and 1.2.5 patches and the game works pretty good. It crashes after the save. That's OK. I am puzzled by the fact that after installing FO with the classic STA2 mod there is no save button when playing single player. But, for now, running the original A2 is good with me.

Thanks, I'm glad its working, I'm actually working on a armada 1 fix as well!
posted on August 3rd, 2016, 5:45 pm
I'm glad to see that someone like A1 more than A2 :)

Is there any success fixing A1 for Win8/8.1??

I managed to get A1 working on 8.1 using "dgvoodoo", however I can't save game and game freezes after that
posted on August 4th, 2016, 3:03 pm
OpetJa wrote:I'm glad to see that someone like A1 more than A2 :)

Is there any success fixing A1 for Win8/8.1??

I managed to get A1 working on 8.1 using "dgvoodoo", however I can't save game and game freezes after that

This is mainly for armada 2, try this thread:
www.fleetops.net/forums/armada/armada-1 ... 1?start=31
I also have a link to my armada 1 guide there as well
posted on September 10th, 2016, 7:45 am
Hello everybody. After searching the www for fixes and multiple tries (and multiple errors), not to mention the nerves, I have managed to get both Star Trek Armada 1 and 2 to work on Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and probably on Windows 10 (although I haven't checked).

For Star Trek Armada 1 use the following tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZbNsgs3zo. All credits go to the author. For your convenience here are the steps (I have made a zip of the files... download them from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/isot2gt51jc5yjm/Fixes_for_Star_Trek_-_Armada.zip):
1. Install the game.
2. Install the official v1.2 patch.
3. Install the unofficial v1.3 compatibility patch.
4. Copy dgVoodooSetup.exe and the dlls from dgVoodoo\MS to the install folder.
5. Execute dgVoodooSetup.exe and configure the settings according to the settings from the images (do the settings exactly otherwise it will not work correctly)

PS: This approach (unlike the one stated earlier using dxwnd) allows playing at full resolution.

For Star Trek Armada 2:
1. Install Star Trek - Armada II - Fleet Operations (v3.2.7 - http://armadafiles.com/files/armada-2/mods/total-conversions/fleet-operations/star-trek-armada-ii-fleet-operations-3-2-7/details) using the Star Trek - Armada II CD.
2. Create a folder named mods under the Data folder in the installation folder.
3. Extract the content of STA2_Classic.zip (http://www.moddb.com/games/star-trek-armada-ii/downloads/a2-classic) to the mods folder.
(optional 4. If you own the CD you can use the DOCa Cola exe from http://www.gamecopyworld.eu/games/pc_st_armada_2.shtml, rename it to Armada2.ldl and copy to the Data folder in the installation folder.)
5. Launch the mod from Options > Mod Settings (you can also create a shortcut directly to the mod from the same menu). You may get a false-positive from the AV, but rest assured it is only the loader. The files are clean!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help (if I can) :)
posted on September 10th, 2016, 2:00 pm
adriantc wrote:Hello everybody. After searching the www for fixes and multiple tries (and multiple errors), not to mention the nerves, I have managed to get both Star Trek Armada 1 and 2 to work on Windows 8.1 (64 bit) and probably on Windows 10 (although I haven't checked).

For Star Trek Armada 1 use the following tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdZbNsgs3zo. All credits go to the author. For your convenience here are the steps (I have made a zip of the files... download them from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/isot2gt51jc5yjm/Fixes_for_Star_Trek_-_Armada.zip):
1. Install the game.
2. Install the official v1.2 patch.
3. Install the unofficial v1.3 compatibility patch.
4. Copy dgVoodooSetup.exe and the dlls from dgVoodoo\MS to the install folder.
5. Execute dgVoodooSetup.exe and configure the settings according to the settings from the images (do the settings exactly otherwise it will not work correctly)

PS: This approach (unlike the one stated earlier using dxwnd) allows playing at full resolution.

I am currently working on an actual fix, where we will be patching Aramda 1, stay tuned at UFPPlanets.com

adriantc wrote:For Star Trek Armada 2:
1. Install Star Trek - Armada II - Fleet Operations (v3.2.7 - http://armadafiles.com/files/armada-2/mods/total-conversions/fleet-operations/star-trek-armada-ii-fleet-operations-3-2-7/details) using the Star Trek - Armada II CD.
2. Create a folder named mods under the Data folder in the installation folder.
3. Extract the content of STA2_Classic.zip (http://www.moddb.com/games/star-trek-armada-ii/downloads/a2-classic) to the mods folder.
(optional 4. If you own the CD you can use the DOCa Cola exe from http://www.gamecopyworld.eu/games/pc_st_armada_2.shtml, rename it to Armada2.ldl and copy to the Data folder in the installation folder.)
5. Launch the mod from Options > Mod Settings (you can also create a shortcut directly to the mod from the same menu). You may get a false-positive from the AV, but rest assured it is only the loader. The files are clean!

Let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help (if I can) :)

The regular Star Trek Armada II works on win10 and lower. Simply Put in the CD, Patch to 1.1, then use The Unofficial Patch to 1.25 (check my link in the above post) As we host the Armada II games on a regular Basis.

The classic a2 mod for FO is also a nice alternative, but doesn't fully give you the original feel. I like using both methods.
posted on September 10th, 2016, 2:44 pm
JCarrill0 wrote:The regular Star Trek Armada II works on win10 and lower. Simply Put in the CD, Patch to 1.1, then use The Unofficial Patch to 1.25 (check my link in the above post) As we host the Armada II games on a regular Basis.

The classic a2 mod for FO is also a nice alternative, but doesn't fully give you the original feel. I like using both methods.


In my case it didn't work. I could not install it directly (as the installer wouldn't start) so I tried installing it in a VM, patching it to 1.1 and then to 1.2.5. Then copied it to my real machine and it would give the memory not enough error. If I selected compatibility settings for Windows XP SP2 then it would not show the error, but after a few screen blinkings the game crashed.
1, 2, 3, 4
Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest