Instant action no longer works since I upgraded to win 10

Program aborts? Network configuration? Graphic errors? Bugs? Post your question here.
posted on August 2nd, 2015, 3:52 pm
Worked perfectly under windows 7 64 bit, I've tried all the compatability settings but none of them work, tried reinstalling fleet ops that doesn't work. I upgraded to win 10 pro 64 bit if that helps.

If I load the Armada 2 executable that works, and I can play the orginal game fine, but Fleet ops crashes as soon as I click launch. I've attached the log file, can anyone help?

Attachments

exceptArmada2.txt
(96.73 KiB) Downloaded 598 times
posted on August 2nd, 2015, 4:09 pm
The log has this line near the top.
Code: Select all
exception message : Access violation at address 0DD6F610 in module 'nvd3dum.dll'. Read of address 000000EC.

That's an Nvidia made file that their driver uses. You'll want to download and install this Windows 10 driver they made and then tell us how it works afterward.
posted on August 2nd, 2015, 4:41 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, I had already installed that. I've just tried reinstalling the driver using Display Driver Uninstaller first to completely wipe it then downloaded the driver again from Nvidia, and no joy :'(

Thank you for the suggestion though.
posted on August 3rd, 2015, 6:05 pm
im sure ive heard people say they put an older version of the file in the directory there program is in and works but i cant really help more as ive not had any issues so far with windows 10
posted on August 6th, 2015, 4:15 am
go to \AppData\Roaming\Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations and open the FOData.ini and change "D3D9=False" to "True" and it will be fine. The problem is that lack of DirectX8 support in Windows 10.

Even more of a reason I am happy NX is being made and moving away from this disgustingly outdated version of DirectX
posted on August 6th, 2015, 4:02 pm
after D3D9=True

I get Access violation at address 0063ADDA in module 'Armada2.exe'. Read of address 00000050.
after the map loads
posted on August 6th, 2015, 4:12 pm
nevermind i did a clean install and it works now
posted on August 14th, 2015, 8:49 am
Having the same problems. When I changed it to true the game now launches, but as soon as I try to place any structure it instacrashes.
posted on August 15th, 2015, 1:25 am
Hravik wrote:Having the same problems. When I changed it to true the game now launches, but as soon as I try to place any structure it instacrashes.

Ditto on his problem. I tried the D3D9 fix, and had no luck there. :(
posted on August 25th, 2015, 9:51 am
redmanmark86 wrote:go to \AppData\Roaming\Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations and open the FOData.ini and change "D3D9=False" to "True" and it will be fine. The problem is that lack of DirectX8 support in Windows 10.

Even more of a reason I am happy NX is being made and moving away from this disgustingly outdated version of DirectX

Sorry it has taken me a while to reply have been away. And thank you for this, it was a partial solution.

Like others the game would start but would crash as soon as I complete building my first structure. To completely fix it I had to set the game to run in compatibility mode for windows 7 as well! The game now plays fine!

Thank you to everyone who has helped me with this, off to play now! :D :D :D
posted on October 8th, 2015, 3:46 am
Tried the Dx9 fix, and Win 7 compatibility mode. Still no dice. Doesn't crash, but not I can't select an avatar to start the match.
posted on July 23rd, 2016, 3:48 am
I am unfortunately having the same (or similar) problem. After manually switching to D3D9, it no longer crashes instantly, but now randomly crashes... And almost always does when I try to place a station. I would imagine that activating compatibility mode would fix the problem, but as my mouse cursor splits (one, the real cursor, or so I surmise, gets stuck at the upper left-hand corner of the screen... and while I can control the other, it cannot click on anything. I have tried loading a save game in which I had already selected an avatar and confirmed that it is not just avatar selection) when I enable any sort of compatibility mode I have been unable to test whether it still crashes.

When it does crash, the problem appears to always be in the "FleetOpsHook.dll" for some reason.

Any ideas for how I might go about fixing this? (And should I post a saved error report?)

Edit: Just realized this could be considered a necro. My apologies.