Benefit of boarding enemy vessels

Share and discuss your gameplay strategies.
posted on April 18th, 2015, 4:50 pm
Nice to meet you!

I'm playing Fleet Ops on a regular basis and I'm very fond of playing the Klingons. :wub:

I know that they have the Vutpa' class refit that grants the abality of superior boarding capability.

My question to you: Is there any advantage you gain by trying to board enemy vessels?

I consider it mainly a waste of time an material. Even as a Borg I would prefer the optimize directive. If you really wanna beat your enemy just kill his ships...

:assimilate:

Maybe I have forgotten one crucial aspect about this topic so I'm eager to hear your comments on this.
posted on April 18th, 2015, 6:45 pm
Boarding enemy vessels has benefits depending on your play style. For one thing, it grants units without production costs. (sadly the reclaim value of breaking these ships down is pretty low) the other benefit is that, during a firefight at least, it gives your enemy, AI or Player, yet another target or targets to have to deal with, so even if you can't get the captured ship home for repair, it still provides that temporary benefit as either a screening vessel or a harassment ship.

Plus of course, there's the unit bonuses for capturing a constructor ship to build the alien tech shipyards, or capturing fed repair ship, or any of the unit-limited ships if you're fighting someone the same faction as you. (such as dominion carriers and troop ships, klingon troop ships, fed warp-ins, etc)

If you get really accomplished at the tactic, you can capture a mining facility and resource collector and get a free boost to your production while simultaneously robbing your foe of their lifelines.
posted on April 18th, 2015, 7:23 pm
eoraptor wrote: Boarding enemy vessels has benefits depending on your play style. For one thing, it grants units without production costs. (sadly the reclaim value of breaking these ships down is pretty low) the other benefit is that, during a firefight at least, it gives your enemy, AI or Player, yet another target or targets to have to deal with, so even if you can't get the captured ship home for repair, it still provides that temporary benefit as either a screening vessel or a harassment ship.

Plus of course, there's the unit bonuses for capturing a constructor ship to build the alien tech shipyards, or capturing fed repair ship, or any of the unit-limited ships if you're fighting someone the same faction as you. (such as dominion carriers and troop ships, klingon troop ships, fed warp-ins, etc)

If you get really accomplished at the tactic, you can capture a mining facility and resource collector and get a free boost to your production while simultaneously robbing your foe of their lifelines.

I couldn't have said it better myself... :)
If you think about it the "transporter ability" is the most powerful weapon of all!...
Basically without the ability to boarding enemy vessels you play totally different (obsolete) era of Star Trek game!...
The tactical advantages of the transporters in combat are so many that i could not even begun to describe them (eoraptor say it the best)!... :)
posted on August 4th, 2015, 12:03 pm
There's also a bug to where even if there is a cease-fire in place in the first 10min, 5min or whatever, you can still transport to enemy vessels and take them over. This only works with the Borg because they don't have shields to destroy first.