machinima Top Ten Star Trek Movies

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
posted on May 28th, 2013, 11:25 am

why is it not in the order you would put it in?
because you wish it!
posted on May 28th, 2013, 11:57 am
words cannot describe how much wut is in my head right now.

have they even watched an episode of star trek?

insurrection was the best of the TNG movies precisely because it was most like a TNG episode. everyone complained because nemesis was too action movie and nothing like the show. FC was like nemesis, but got away with it because it was so enjoyable. having a star trek film be like a star trek show is what star trek films should be aiming for. otherwise don't use the star trek universe, go make an original (ha) film.

star trek 2009 in such a high position? i can't think of words visceral enough to convey how much suffering i wish upon you. star trek 2009 has almost nothing to do with the original show, it's pretty much just leeching off of the name "star trek". it's everything that was wrong with nemesis, but without the benefit of a cast that starred in a star trek tv show.

generations had the enterprise "lit properly"? kindly commit suicide. look around your room and tell me if it has even "TV show" lighting. of course it does, today's lighting technology is already great. in the 24th century there is no excuse for such cliché directorial choices.
posted on May 28th, 2013, 12:45 pm
out of curiosity, if you think those films are to action oriented, do you think that of the DS9 dominion battles?
posted on May 28th, 2013, 1:37 pm
hellodean wrote:out of curiosity, if you think those films are to action oriented, do you think that of the DS9 dominion battles?

Nope, those were in the minority by far, and not too much. also there was an actual show to accompany the cool lazor battles. nemesis/fc/2009 were mostly action with little room for good story. star trek's strength was always story telling. not lazor battles.
posted on May 28th, 2013, 5:50 pm
1) 2009
2) 1st contact
3) Wrath of kannnnnn!!
4) Voyage home
5) The Undiscovered Country
6) into the darkness.
7) star trek the motion pitcher.
8) the search for Spock
9)Star trek Nemasus.
10)Star trek the final frontier
11)Insurrection
12) generations.
posted on May 28th, 2013, 6:31 pm
Star Trek 2

Star Trek 8 (the Borg one)

Star Trek 6 Undiscovered Country

And the rest all have the same amount of suckage. The worst offenders were Star Trek Insurrection and Star Trek Generations.

I actually did enjoy JJ Trek as an action movie but definitely not as a "Star Trek" movie. I absolutely hate alternate universe episodes.
posted on May 29th, 2013, 4:11 pm
I would kinda agree that would be the majority view. The core fanbase has more respect for the series. Sadly, you've gotta sell beyond that. ST 2009 is legit in my book. The characters and tech are the same. Besides I believed Star Trek desperately needed a clean slate and I figured the series doomed before ST 2009.

Tooooo that end-

1: 2009
2: First Contact- "No! Nooooooooo!"
(also "Don't fire! We're here to help you!" "Bull****!")
3: The Wrath of Khan
4: Generations
5: Insurrection
6: The Motion Picture
7: The Voyage Home
8: The Undiscovered Country
9: The Search for Spock (Christopher Lloyd!)
10: Fsking Nemesis- The old fart should've roasted with his illegitimate freak show.

Nemesis was also made worse in my book since on account that I read in a trek magazine that the film-makers were planning on killing Picard. I came this || close to screaming 'SOB' in the theater.
posted on May 29th, 2013, 4:45 pm
1. Insurrection
2. First Contact
3. Undiscovered Country
4. Voyage Home
5. The Wrath of Khan
6. Generations
7. Nemesis
8. Star Trek 2009
9.The Motion Picture
10. Into Darkness

Some may wonder why Search for Spock is out for me... I watched it several times and there is hardly anything I can remember of that movie. The motion picture is too long, Star Trek 2009 is too dumb and into darkness has a nice beginning but badly sucks in the second half. We don't want to discuss Star Trek 5, right? For me as a German the trouble with ST V already begins with the title...
posted on May 29th, 2013, 5:10 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Marian Hope wrote:Some may wonder why Search for Spock is out for me... I watched it several times and there is hardly anything I can remember of that movie.

you can't remember the tentacle monster that attacked the klingons? that was the unintentionally funniest scene in the movie.

Lt. Cmdr. Marian Hope wrote:For me as a German the trouble with ST V already begins with the title...

are you telling me that "final frontier" translates into something funny in german? or do you guys have some different meaning for a frontier?
posted on May 29th, 2013, 5:15 pm
No, some idiot translated The Final Frontier with: At the edge of the universe(Am Rande des Universums) ;)

The literal translation would have been Die Letzte Grenze, or Unendliche Weiten (which is the phrase used in German instead of Final Frontier even though it has a different meaning)
posted on May 29th, 2013, 5:34 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Marian Hope wrote:No, some idiot translated The Final Frontier with: At the edge of the universe(Am Rande des Universums)

whoa, that really is somebody set up us the bomb territory. :lol:
posted on May 29th, 2013, 10:50 pm
Myles wrote:you can't remember the tentacle monster that attacked the klingons? that was the unintentionally funniest scene in the movie.

It didn't attack them, it was just minding its business crawling around the spent torpedo casing, when suddenly Kruge decided that he wanted to look like a badass in front of his crew. Then nonchalantly pass it off as "nothing to report" :P
posted on May 30th, 2013, 9:32 am
This clearly shows up one thing - that guys don't like Star Trek at all. So they use every possibility make it worse.
I'm not that good with understanding them, native German. ^^'

Anyway - if they watched the movies, they had some pre-made checklist with stuff on it they don't like to tick it when it is in the movie.

I really don't know what to think about those guys... better don't think about it at all... would be a waste of time ;)
posted on May 31st, 2013, 3:26 pm
1. The Wrath of Khan
2. First Contact
3. The Undiscovered Country
4. The Voyage Home
5. Star Trek 2009
6. Insurrection
7. Into Darkness
8. The Search for Spock
9. Generations
10. Nemesis

My top three are because of the villains, Khan was awesome. Personally I LOVE the Borg and First Contact is the only movie with them. Christopher Plummer as General Chang was very good, liked the bolted on eye patch haha. Voyage Home I thought had a very episodic like feel. Plus it was pretty darn funny. I'm okay with alternate timelines so 2009 doesn't bother me really and I'm glad that the new movies are keeping the franchise alive. Insurrection was definitely episodic like a few others said, very enjoyable. Plus Riker's move in the space battle was cool. Worf: "Yes, he would." haha. Same with Into Darkness as 2009, both enjoyable, and easier to take knowing its helping the franchise. I know people who are getting into the older stuff because they liked the new movies so I say let 'em keep making new ones to draw people in. I liked Kruge in SfS, but the whole regeneration with the planet was strange. Plus Kirk's son dying was kinda sad. Generations was a cool idea that I think could have been done better. Kirk and Picard working together was cool but it could have been for a better reason instead of random planet with billions of random aliens needs saving from strange 'paradise' inducing wave. Nemesis was just a bad ending to the TNG movies. Picard clone as the bad guy? It's like they tried to do a mirror universe movie without the mirror universe part. And Data dying? I get they wanted to make it like he finally becomes 'Human' by making the ultimate sacrifice but that was just dumb. Two emergency transport things couldn't have been taken? The only reason I'm okay with Nemesis on my list is cause B4 becomes Data when Data's programming asserts itself in B4's body in the comics leading up to Star Trek 2009 which are considered canon. Otherwise The Motion Picture would be my number 10. Final Frontier was just a failure of a movie across the board. It had a few decent scenes few and far between and the rest was absolute garbage. So that's my list :)