Janeway Was Stupid!

What's your favourite episode? How is romulan ale brewed? - Star Trek in general :-)
posted on July 21st, 2016, 5:27 pm
I've been looking at the blueprints for the Intrepid Class cruiser here and discovered that Voyager has a total of 11 phaser arrays. 4 on the top and 7 on the bottom. And it also appears that Voyager has two "warp cores" from which it can draw power from when the warp drive is not in use. In Dark Frontier, Janeway stated that her ship can match the firepower of a Borg probe immediately before firing two phaser arrays in parallel. Assuming that two phaser arrays match the firepower of a single Borg probe disruptor beam (please model that in Fleet Ops, devs), then that means that if power is drawn from one of the warp cores, Voyager can out-match a probe by a factor of about 3.5.

This kind of firepower would have come in handy when preventing the Kazon from capturing the ship. Forget photon torpoedoes, just draw the necessary power from the warp core and broadside the Kazon ships one-by-one using the 7 ventral phaser arrays and the surviving Kazon (if they were smart) would retreat. And there are many other instances where this firepower would have come in handy. Like when Voyager was trying to prevent the Kazon from taking the array or when they were trying to shut down that Borg vinculum but had to defend against an attack at the same time.

One thing's for sure, nobody in their right mind would mess with a ship that can destroy a whole fleet at a rate of 1 shot per ship. And demonstrating this type of firepower would certainly mean that a faction would only dare to attack Voyager once, guaranteeing them safe passage back to Federation space.

On a side note, the Galaxy Class has 11 phaser arrays. 5 on the top and 6 on the bottom (at least when it's in one piece). Wonder how many battles would have been made easier if the vessel aligned itself to fire the maximum number of phaser arrays at once. Especially when they had to correct a timeline error in the middle of a Klingon-Earth war. The warp core certainly could have supplied the required power.

I can also see from other sources that the Sovereign Class has 12 phaser arrays. 7 on the top and 5 on the bottom. I'm sure drawing power from the warp core to power the top 7 would have also come in handy a few times.
posted on July 21st, 2016, 6:09 pm
Why are you assuming that drawing power from the warp core is enough to power all of the phaser arrays?

Perhaps the fact that it didn't happen doesn't actually mean Janeway was stupid. Perhaps it means it doesn't work that way.

Perhaps Voyager WAS using all available power, channelled just through those two arrays. That's why she said they could match it's firepower, not outgun it by a factor of 3.5. The available power limited them to only matching it.
posted on July 21st, 2016, 11:08 pm
TChapman500 wrote:I've been looking at the blueprints for the Intrepid Class cruiser here and discovered that Voyager has a total of 11 phaser arrays. 4 on the top and 7 on the bottom. And it also appears that Voyager has two "warp cores" from which it can draw power from when the warp drive is not in use. In Dark Frontier, Janeway stated that her ship can match the firepower of a Borg probe immediately before firing two phaser arrays in parallel. Assuming that two phaser arrays match the firepower of a single Borg probe disruptor beam (please model that in Fleet Ops, devs), then that means that if power is drawn from one of the warp cores, Voyager can out-match a probe by a factor of about 3.5.

This kind of firepower would have come in handy when preventing the Kazon from capturing the ship. Forget photon torpoedoes, just draw the necessary power from the warp core and broadside the Kazon ships one-by-one using the 7 ventral phaser arrays and the surviving Kazon (if they were smart) would retreat. And there are many other instances where this firepower would have come in handy. Like when Voyager was trying to prevent the Kazon from taking the array or when they were trying to shut down that Borg vinculum but had to defend against an attack at the same time.

One thing's for sure, nobody in their right mind would mess with a ship that can destroy a whole fleet at a rate of 1 shot per ship. And demonstrating this type of firepower would certainly mean that a faction would only dare to attack Voyager once, guaranteeing them safe passage back to Federation space.

On a side note, the Galaxy Class has 11 phaser arrays. 5 on the top and 6 on the bottom (at least when it's in one piece). Wonder how many battles would have been made easier if the vessel aligned itself to fire the maximum number of phaser arrays at once. Especially when they had to correct a timeline error in the middle of a Klingon-Earth war. The warp core certainly could have supplied the required power.

I can also see from other sources that the Sovereign Class has 12 phaser arrays. 7 on the top and 5 on the bottom. I'm sure drawing power from the warp core to power the top 7 would have also come in handy a few times.

That's an interesting look on it, but I believe the ship just doesn't have enough power, to generate them all.
(unless of course Janeway downplayed it since the journey home was going to be exhausting one and never fully utilized the FULL power of the intrepid class)