Forum Events - The Poll

Want to say something off topic? Something that has nothing to do with Trek? Post it here.

Question: What is your opinion about Forums Events?

Total votes: 19
1. I find Forum Events in general unprofessional. Despite several other reasons, they could also have a negative influence on the community (provokes insulting, trolling, name calling, etc.)8 votes (42%)
2. A Forum Event could be really fun. But only if it remains in one thread, it sticks to the forum regulations, it is optional and it's involving outside resources (Internet resources and the game Fleet Operations itself).10 votes (53%)
3. I'd love forum events even though they have global effects for a limited time or use the display options (such as the donator-button or a change of the avatar picture) for a limited time.1 votes (5%)
posted on June 26th, 2012, 7:57 pm
Hello Fleet Operations Community,

Here we go for yet another poll. This time we would like to know what you think about forum events in general. Please, vote so we have some orientation to improve the warm and fuzzy feeling on here.

A forum event would look like a kind of game dealing with the topic "Fleet Operations" that included the game Fleet Operations itself, a temporary change of your avatar or profile (such as an award or the "Donator" mark) or the use of internet resources that is capable of drawing a smile on your face. It would follow strict rules that apply only for this particular thread, but could potentially be extended on a global level for a certain period of time (for example a global punishment for dishonoring the event rules or loosing an event).
The point of action would be a thread in the appropriate section of the new Fleet Operations board explaining the event, stating the rules and the time of duration. The participation is free, however, once you would write into this event thread, you would automatically participate.

If you have anything to add, feel free to do so.
posted on June 26th, 2012, 9:57 pm
Too much hassle, too little profit.

Call me a grumpy old man, but i don't really see the benefits.
posted on June 26th, 2012, 10:13 pm
Andre27 wrote:Too much hassle, too little profit.

Call me a grumpy old man, but i don't really see the benefits.

Oh that's fair enough. You are not alone... but it's not me, grumpy old man. :lol:
posted on June 27th, 2012, 12:59 am
Jan wrote:... and fuzzy feeling on here...

I don't like fusszeh feelings (hoe hoe :D )

Anyways, would you mind giving a more specific example?
I'm quite unsure in which direction of "forum games" you think.
posted on June 27th, 2012, 10:14 am
Ok. For example. The devs seek trekky names for the new Romulan mines that will appear for the next patch or an array of visual effects that you imagine for a new special weapon. The forum event then serves as some kind of creativity channeling. The matter is stated in the opening post together with a set of rules that apply for this thread, e.g. you are only allowed to give one answer. If you post two times or you edited your post, you will get punished. A punishment could look like: You have to destroy a Romulan Star Base with Fed Scouts in 20 minutes. There had to be a witness sending the screenshot to the moderator.

That was a very simple example. Forum events serve three major things:

1. They can provide a brain storm support for the devs helping them to develop Fleet Operations (Creativity Channeling)

2. The fan base can more actively contribute to the face of Fleet Operations (which doesn't mean that the Feature Request forum fails its purpose, but with a forum event a dev matter could be really entangled)

3. It's entertaining especially during times of waiting for the new version plus it could give incentives for people to play over Tunngle having a great time (imagine a 1 vs 7 punishment or if you won an event you may face 7 opponents that play in Armada mode only allowed to use one ship class) :woot: . There are plenty of possibilities which could turn out to be real fun also including internet resources.
posted on June 27th, 2012, 3:23 pm
I got stuck thinking how to destroy a Romulan base with a Fed scout! :lol: It's an interesting idea but this topic haven't got to many replies sadly :mellow:
posted on June 27th, 2012, 8:30 pm
i hate gamification. It isn't fun. It just forces people to participate in stuff because people are OCD on achieving stuff