Variety: Spice of Victory

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 8:19 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on February 2nd, 2012, 10:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Everybody remember that long-ago newspost about synergies? If not, a little trip down memory lane:

Click here to read this article!
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 8:24 pm
i love remore  :wub: thanks for more awesome point defence.

will akira be where the e2 is currently? a starting unit for the eraudi?
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 9:17 pm
This just keeps getting better. I'm gonna guess the Akira now fires bursts of photons, and is now in the E2 slot on the eraudi yard. Oh please "make it so".  :D
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 9:19 pm
Sounds amazing.  It's certainly a big step to take, but this offensive/defensive profile thing sounds like it could really work better than the current system.  It'll be a little bit harder for brand new players, but MUCH easier to understand for medium-skilled players who've been playing for a month or two.  Overall a much nicer learning curve.  :thumbsup:
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 10:05 pm
I love it. I really like the specials becoming much easier to figure out and use. I especially like the profiles for the units. Maybe the counter tables will get more compact!
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 10:27 pm
Have there been any "other" modifications to the point defense?  possibly making them work with SODs in addition to phaser sprites... or something... :innocent:
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 10:41 pm
All of these Monsoons in our fleet means that we’re at risk of getting hit by torpedoes
  :ermm:
I don't understand this. Will defensive units only have a good defense against certain types of weapons? ANd if Offensive units will also have defensive values(ECM was mentioned) - why take low dps defensive ships then?
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 11:13 pm
Lt. Cmdr. Marian Hope wrote:  :ermm:
I don't understand this. Will defensive units only have a good defense against certain types of weapons? ANd if Offensive units will also have defensive values(ECM was mentioned) - why take low dps defensive ships then?

profile decides the miss chance mechanic that size used to dictate.

currently torps miss based on size, now they will miss based on profile. ships will start with a hit chance of 80%, then profiles will modify the chance, offensive profile ships will get hit less at 60%, defensive will get hit more, at 100%.

so monsoons will tank, with their naturally strong def, and high speed, they will continue not to hit hard, they will become auto targeted due to their profile, and they will not dodge torps. which is to be expected, if you are a ship that is saying to the enemy "shoot me, not my weaker allies, please shoot me, i can take the hits" then you don't dodge their fire, you absorb it. that's the defensive profile.

offensive profile ships hit hard (presumably shrike gets this) but also don't want to get shot at, so they have the ecm stuff, and dodge more.
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 11:14 pm
Release the patch now!!! Pls
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 11:22 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on February 2nd, 2012, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nice bunch of questions :)

The Excelsior II is still leading the charge at the Eraudi Yard - the Akira is still relatively higher technology :). You have to pay to get those torpedoes, baby!

Myles has got it right. Each profile gets its own unique set of characteristics in addition to the torpedo avoidance rates and pulse damage changes. Offensive Profile units get special area of effect "critical strikes" and Defensive units can take even more damage than in previous patches (and of course, they are auto-targeted). Allround ships get a decreased chance of being disabled, and cost a bit less :). These are independent of the passives (like High Density Shield Generators for the Monsoon), which in general have weaker effects. As a result of the profile and passives changes, the counter tables have gotten much cleaner and friendlier.

@Adm. Zaxxon: the Point Defense weapon hasn't actually been changed at the base coding level, just simple ODF work to create the desired effect. If you shoot me a PM I can explain more how to achieve the same effect :)
posted on February 2nd, 2012, 11:29 pm
hmmm that brings up more questions than it answers. if the akira is gonna be providing the fed's torp hose, then will the e2 retain its ability to do the same? or does the e2 get a new role? and where will the akira go? higher than e2 in eraudi? or in one of the starting yards, the screenies didn't include akiras in either antares or cassiopeia yards (maybe things changed). and will sovvie be underpowered still :P
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 2:28 am
Myles wrote:and will sovvie be underpowered still :P

:D Because let's be honest: anything less than insta-killing a Cube would be underpowered! RAWR!  :badgrin: MOAR transphasic torpedoes!!
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 2:52 am
The sovvie is very underpowered  :(

I never even build them, they are totally irrelevant to my strategy. Cost too much, and an E2 has better range. I think type XV burst fire phasers and slightly higher speed would be tempting (current patch only, of course).
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 3:00 am
Boggz wrote: :D Because let's be honest: anything less than insta-killing a Cube would be underpowered! RAWR!  :badgrin: MOAR transphasic torpedoes!!

Hey, Captain Picard did it in a movie once!  It's canon!
posted on February 3rd, 2012, 3:08 am
Not always good to use 'canon' so quickly, canon also has people trust Troi to pilot a starship...
1, 2, 3