The Starbase

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3
posted on January 27th, 2013, 11:14 pm
Hats off to all the developers involved with this mod. The visuals look lovely and I hope I get the chance to play the next version of this mod. I like the direction for the federation. Having adaptable bases that can fit into different play styles and avatars., should be fun :-) . Plus it does make the federation more distinct from the others. Alright they were different before, but now there's a play feature which is even more distinctive :-) .
posted on January 28th, 2013, 4:31 pm
DAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!! Its a good feature! :DBut what about the dominion? On multiple episodes on DS9 they have been seen building bugs out of their starbases! Why not replace the upgrades with the ability to add a shipyard to it for only bugs and bombers?
posted on January 28th, 2013, 11:01 pm
Mods could draw inspiration off of this!
posted on January 28th, 2013, 11:28 pm
I like the dominion and Klingon idea. The dominion bug ships are very simple ships, small scale, simple weapons systems. A dominion base should have the construction abilities to create one, going by this and the ship scale. For the Klingons having a feature which allowed warriors to benefit from an experienced group of warriors is nice. The only disadvantage of this is that it feels too defensive for klingons. Its still a good idea, but I think a more direct feature would also be fun. Perhaps hanger bays containing klingon fighter packs? Get the upgrade at the first research station, allowing you to install them on Klingon starbases and even mining stations? Perhaps the starbase hanger could be given upgraded or specialized fighters that hurt a particular ship class e.g cruiser, support class etc.
posted on February 1st, 2013, 8:01 pm
I will suggest a fourth type of base refit: A Squadron Hangar. No bonuses to O/D/S values, but the Starbase gets hangars to churn out about a dozen Peregrine fighters.
posted on February 1st, 2013, 9:02 pm
Its basically been stated that this is the Fed/Rom overhaul update with the other 3 getting only little changes. Though IIRC the Borg get a partial/half overhaul this time then the rest most likely in V5 with the third avatars and the 6th race. More on that in a different thread.

As for the alternate upgradable outposts...it sounds like it will be a whole lot of fun!
posted on February 2nd, 2013, 1:45 am
Can the Feds get a Death Star? Make it tech level 3 so that you can't build it right away, but once you build it you can blow up enemy starbases from across the map. :D
posted on February 2nd, 2013, 3:25 pm
Has there been any pictures of the different fed starbase types? They sound great, especially considering they will have each have a unique look :-) .
posted on February 3rd, 2013, 11:56 am
Not yet. Graphics development and gameplay/balancing development are parallel. That means they don't have their models yet, but will get them soon. :)
posted on February 4th, 2013, 3:42 am
maybe a reveal of what the models look like when they are done? :-)
posted on February 10th, 2013, 9:47 pm
I like it, you guys are spot on with the Federation and Romulan design philosophies However, I have three words for the Romulan faction:Cloaking. Repair. Yard.Roms have always had TERRIBLE power projection, and while I'm sure mines help with this, they still need to establish ship support. Yes the game will work without it, but there are a lot of cool map designs that can't be done without such a mechanic for the Roms.Some other ideas, if you're interested. I can't claim them as my own since they're half-based on what you've already said here.DominionThree different types of Starbase, like the Feds, but instead of having different roles they all have about the same firepower. What is different is that each one can upgrade a different stat, Offense, Defense, and Speed (or whatever the third is). This way a Dominion player will have to build 3 of them to access all of his upgrades, encouraging him to establish at least 3 bases at moon pairs or in strategic positions.BorgThe Borg must have a central command, but they don't particularly care where it is. The Borg cannot build uplinks without an active outpost on the map, and only the active outpost can build their constructors/extractors. They start out with an "active" outpost, and can only have one at a time.However, the can also build "inactive" outposts, which have weapons but can only build scouts and probes. An inactive outpost can upgrade to an active outpost without much cost, but it takes time. Also, an active outpost can revert to an inactive outpost which takes time but does not cost any resources.
posted on March 3rd, 2013, 2:41 am
Perhaps ensigns are particularly effective pilots when it comes to piloting courses for starbases.
posted on March 3rd, 2013, 2:43 am
plotting courses* no edits anymore?
posted on March 3rd, 2013, 4:55 am
@godsvoice: There is edit, it's under the arrow for a drop down menu, its the first option, except I e noticed an error with it, it doesn't work when a user is posting using an iPad or iPod. Literally nothing happens well on my iPad when I try clicking on it, ok other than my page zooming in. I don't know if this can be fixed or if its a problem with the Safari Browser on the iPad and iPod unless its connected to the iOS. I ignore the problem and wait till I get on my laptop to fix it.

Plus starbases aren't really supposed to move, of course they can spin like they are orbiting a planet. Deep Space Nine has maneuvering thrusters for positioning and that's how they were able to move the station from orbiting Bajor to guarding the mouth of the Bajoran Wormhole. So really stations have minor engines for minor positioning and maneuvering, if they can be implemented like that.
posted on March 4th, 2013, 3:15 am
oh, haha, no. i was just referring to the caption in the thread title. ensign plot a course for... i didn't mean ensigns actually moving star basesit shouldn't read piloting courses for star bases, but plotting a course to a star base... bah!
1, 2, 3