The Starbase

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3
posted on January 26th, 2013, 7:33 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on January 26th, 2013, 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Plot a course for the starbase, ensign!

[url=//www.fleetops.net/news/item/238-the-starbase]Click here to read this article![/url]
posted on January 26th, 2013, 8:51 pm
Sounds interesting. If they match the builders mindset, the Borg one must be a monster...
posted on January 26th, 2013, 9:44 pm
Fed.... base spam.... lol... do want =D
posted on January 26th, 2013, 9:56 pm
i like the addition of repairing to a starbase, that seems to be one of the main features of installations in canon, repairing ships.

i'm wary of the feds ability to use bases for map control, mainly because it kinda clashes a little with the dominion perimeter. also because the feds have very defensively strong ships. having ships that are hard to kill, combined with strong map control must be a nightmare to balance. i really want this to work.

the danube is something nice to look forward to. i'm not sure how valuable a few extra HP will be, though. scouts are fragile, danubes will be a little less fragile, but they're still pretty much dead in combat. i've missed probes, i look forward to their return.
posted on January 26th, 2013, 11:01 pm
always great to see another update :)

since it says that the science refit gets more system value, does that mean they all have specials? as the defensive one i assume uses special energy for generating the platforms. what specials do the others get?

"Increasing System Value and line of sight if you build science facilities"
so it needs to be in the area of a science building to get those benefits or just anywhere on the map?

does the runabout have the "grey mode" as well?
posted on January 26th, 2013, 11:13 pm
To answer a few questions :)

None of the Outposts have special weapons - those replicated Platforms are placed automatically when the Outpost is in combat :) . System Value here just improves hitpoint repair.

The Exploration refit doesn't need to be close to a science facility to get the vision bonus.

The Runabout does also have Grey Mode :)

The Outposts are not at all like the really nasty capture+hold Perimeters: they are more about rebuilding your civil ships in far off locations, getting unique tech opportunities, and pushing back small raiding groups, rather than any full fledged invasion force. While the Perimeter can allow you to decisively claim a part of the map with its very high offensive and defensive capabilities, the comparatively weak Outposts need to be well supported to have an impact. A single Outpost of any configuration is still outmatched by the Romulan Sector Command for instance - though it is cheaper :).
posted on January 26th, 2013, 11:39 pm
ah thanks for the info. :)

it suits me well that outposts are cheaper, means placing one next to a moon for fast replacements of destroyed miners is viable.

follow up question, how do you tilt the camera to get those shots of the starbase?
and is it that bright star in the pic that gives the great lighting effects? as before its been said you dont tweak the image..

posted on January 27th, 2013, 12:30 am
hellodean wrote:follow up question, how do you tilt the camera to get those shots of the starbase?

don't tilt the camera, tilt the starbase. objects in map editor can be rotated in all the ways an aeroplane can be (ieroll pitch yaw).

double click the object to get its values if you want to edit them incrementally. if you wanna be adventurous you can hold the right click on an object and move the mouse around to do this, but i always find that to be too hamfisted, the ship ends up flailing around like mad. a bad artist always blames his brushes.

beware, if you fiddle with position and attitude (roll/pitch/yaw) of a ship that has active engines, when you switch back to gameplay mode (eg to take a screenshot with weapons fire), the ship will immediately return to where it was before you moved it, and it won't keep attitude. disable the engines of a ship if you spend time positioning it.

glad to hear grey mode is still on the way. i can't wait to see how the danube model looks.
posted on January 27th, 2013, 12:55 am
We need an official FO YouTube channel so that developers can post videos demonstrating these new features.
posted on January 27th, 2013, 1:10 am
ah i did wonder if it was done that way. i havnt tried to set up an image from the editor before, i try to capture it during a skirmish and keep pausing /unpausing/pausing again until i get a good shot. perhaps i should try that way.

edit
TChapman500 wrote
"We need an official FO YouTube channel so that developers can post videos demonstrating these new features."

i thought they did already? i saw a mock up of a fleetops intro ages ago and thought it was official. but looking at it again the name of the channel name doesnt sound official
posted on January 27th, 2013, 10:34 am
hellodean wrote:ah i did wonder if it was done that way. i havnt tried to set up an image from the editor before, i try to capture it during a skirmish and keep pausing /unpausing/pausing again until i get a good shot. perhaps i should try that way.

you can use the hotkey control+e to switch between map editor and gameplay. you can do this from map editor or from skirmish mode.

you can disable other systems as well, like weapons, to have only certain ships firing. you can also disable shields completely to have hull impacts.

set game speed to slowest if you want more time to pause a shot.

consider adding a new light source below your action if you aren't happy with the lighting on the underside of ships.

hellodean wrote:i thought they did already? i saw a mock up of a fleetops intro ages ago and thought it was official. but looking at it again the name of the channel name doesnt sound official

that's from forum user funnystuffpictures. he's good with video like that. he made that, and posted it on his own channel. i don't think it was official, but this community was of the size that pretty much everyone around at the time saw it.
posted on January 27th, 2013, 12:13 pm
ha i didnt know you could edit from a skirmish game.
you have given me plenty of good stuff to try out now, thanks.

ontopic.
since this news post only says about the feds and romulans, are the others staying the same or are they changing but how is still a secret?
posted on January 27th, 2013, 12:43 pm
hellodean wrote:since this news post only says about the feds and romulans, are the others staying the same or are they changing but how is still a secret?

i'm hoping the other bases are gonna get some love.

maybe the klingon starbase can get some honour-based tricks. maybe if you bring high ranked ships near the starbase, it triggers a small AoE that gives nearby ships a damage boost. i'd figure that the starbase would have a 'hall of honour' thing, where the highly honourable warriors (those from high ranking ships) would inspire the newbies (those from lower ranked ships) with songs of glorious battle.

the higher the rank of the giving ship, the bigger the boon. the bigger (in size/cost/yard needed) the ranked ship the more honourable warriors it has to do the inspiring. only officer rank ships (1 gold bar and above) can give the effect. only non officers can receive it.

eg put a vet/2 gold bar vorcha near a starbase, then 2 random ships (can't affect officer ranks) nearby get a 10% extra damage boost.

eg put a single gold bar kvort nearby and 1 random ship (can't affect officer ranks) get a 5% extra damage boost.

eg put a vet/2 gold bar neghvar nearby and 3 random ships (not officers) get a 5% extra damage boost.

boosts last for a fixed period, maybe 15-25 seconds. all ships involved have to be within medium range of starbase.

basically it would simulate what would happen if the klingons were drinking at the starbase, and the enemy came to attack them, all the experienced warriors would give words of encouragement to get the new warriors fighting better.

my only concern is that it's slightly complicated, too much for a tooltip. a flat rate of bonus would solve that, but then a ranked brel is going to have the same effect as a ranked neggie, which seems silly. maybe if the hall only admits ship captains to drink. so it's high ranked captains inspiring low ranked captains.

so all officer ranked ships can give a flat rate bonus of 10% damage to 1 non officer ship. as a brel and neggie have 1 captain each.
posted on January 27th, 2013, 1:52 pm
Awesome work! I'm looking forward to the new FleetOps! :) Hope a new patch will come this year. ..

(sorry for my bad english - i'm from Germany :blush: )
posted on January 27th, 2013, 2:03 pm
im assuming the other races will get their bases worked on when the devs get to that race from the newsposts released looks like they are only upto feds and romulans atm but all in good time :P
1, 2, 3