The Miranda - Sheer Tenacity

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2
posted on May 3rd, 2014, 9:00 pm

For this year's April Fools we hailed the Miranda as the flagship of the Federation - join us now to discuss her true fate! No joke!

Read full article...
posted on May 4th, 2014, 9:18 pm
i can't wait to see the finished miranda. i like the idea of comedy voices for it.
posted on May 5th, 2014, 12:18 am
might be an old ship but like the excelsior if you just switch some components to modern stuff they should hold out pretty well. in the dominion wars they only went down like flies because everybody forgot to put shields up for the luls i guess.

iv always loved the design, so im glad its made an appearance

and yay for map events!
i not quite sure about limiting the map events to 1 map only rather than have it perhaps random (so it doesn't feel like going through the motions of certain maps) like the idea of exploration.

idea..
could each map object (or selected ones like 50% of them or what ever) be given a scan-able trait. upon scanning them you get new bonus of some type (so the more you explore the more you are rewarded, tho it has to be a proper science ship not scouts)
so you've scanned an asteroid field and you get that info back to base and it gives you something. other stuff could keep giving you stuff the longer you have a science station built near it to further research.
posted on May 5th, 2014, 12:19 am
Myles wrote:i can't wait to see the finished miranda. i like the idea of comedy voices for it.

I would, if the rest of the game goes into the same kind of direction.
But considering the other voice overs, it feels out of place. A bit comical, okay, but this is... too much.

(sounds like some weird girl from a chick flick... -_- )
posted on May 5th, 2014, 1:52 am
Very pretty renders. :) I like this whole map events thingy too. Also, the captain sounds kind of like she just walked off the UofO campus. It's kind of bizarre.
posted on May 5th, 2014, 4:01 am
Nice renders. Are they some of the first to be released from the NX engine?
posted on May 5th, 2014, 3:19 pm
This is kinda funny. I like the idea of having competetively usable maps with events or map objects where access or usage of those is a major point of consideration in gameplay. In the current game, that's not the case.

I also agree with the others here, the voice sounds good, but it doesn't really fit the theme. But since I expect the Miranda to rarely be in your hands anyway (and exclusively selected), this shouldn't come up in regular gameplay but rather be a nice easter egg. She does sound like she just came out of starfleet academy :D
posted on May 5th, 2014, 7:45 pm
That was a joke ? ! ? ! ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^%@&!!!!

I was looking forwards to it........

Can we use the yeager type isted is a far stongership.
posted on May 5th, 2014, 7:55 pm
Well if your gonna use the Miranda class it should be some what new. I mean that ship dates back to star trek 2. It should have a refit to it to justify it service.

1. Image

2. http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=166732

There should be a modern iteration.
posted on May 5th, 2014, 9:01 pm
There is a Miranda II in FO already. Also, the post says that it won't be a standard vessel and will only feature on specific maps. It doesn't sound to me like you're really going to be building them.
posted on May 7th, 2014, 1:46 am
ewm90, not all refits are visual from the exterior, a lot of refits just refit ship systems and so no visual changes are made. I think this became a problem after STar Trek 1, fans started to expect seeing massive changes like how the good old 1701 change from it's TOS configuration (TOS, not the Cage) to the refit version.

Nice work guys, I did my own Miranda sometime back and it cam sometimes be a difficult ship to get right. Out of curiosity what is it's poly count and what would the poly count average be for the new FO-NX engine?
posted on May 7th, 2014, 2:34 am
Lovely to see the Miranda make it into Fleet ops, and not as just a map object.

In Ds9 there were several scenes of Miranda class ships with varying exterior visual differences.... like lighted exterior nacelle grills and red bussards, as well as a red impulse engine glow to the aft torpedo launcher on the roll bar.
posted on May 9th, 2014, 5:42 pm
I agree with the remaining comments. While I'm sure a lot of hard work was put into these fine voice lines I don't see em anywhere fitting with the theme and atmosphere Fleet ops has and unless you changed the whole game into a comic both by design and other remaining voice lines they are simply out of place.
posted on May 9th, 2014, 6:35 pm
I think they'll blend. You gotta have variety somehow.

The Easter eggs in the ever so deadly serious halo 3 & 4 games were a fun find. Having played Spartan Ops MP, almost everyone went to the trouble of triggering them.

If the K'tinga makes it in as it did in FO, selecting the ship should trigger something like 'Perhaps I won't have to commit ritual suicide after all...' If it doesn't already. I usually turn them off, so I don't know.

And since we're standing on that slope if only a bit, perhaps every race could have some kind of throwback. The Rom BoP could have a high system value with weak everything else. But not the Borg, because resistance is futile...
posted on May 10th, 2014, 1:08 am
Jinseta Yensei wrote: But not the Borg, because resistance is futile...

i would love a 1 in a thousand chance of a voice over where when you assimilate a ship it sings in a borg voice the trollololol song

imagine this (skip to 0:24)

said like this

1, 2