Spread Your Wings

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
posted on February 9th, 2012, 5:50 am
nope, mines in the 25th century are a bit smarther than detonating from every thing that goes by :)
posted on February 9th, 2012, 2:35 pm
A holographic mine emits a sensor-picture of itself, leading the mine-crusher to a false location, while the real mine will detonate at its back and kill its engines. The next mine will use this opportunity to slip through the tiny hole in the shields and crack the hull open. Intelligent mines :-)

Lets say, the borg space is full of it  :D
posted on February 9th, 2012, 2:55 pm
Optec wrote:nope, mines in the 25th century are a bit smarther than detonating from every thing that goes by :)

So they transmit a false warp signature which makes the appear as cruisers/battleships :P
posted on February 9th, 2012, 10:30 pm
Naw, real mines remain phase-cloaked until a ship flies through them, rematerializing and detonating when they detect the atmosphere inside the ship.  Direct hull damage + 10 damage to one subsystem, extra damage to borg  :thumbsup:

Actually there are a lot of fun mines in SOTS: cloaked mines, leap-mines and gravity mines that damage ships by smashing them into other ships.
posted on February 9th, 2012, 11:01 pm
no, truly smart mines have free will and don't want their only purpose in life to be violent, they hate their creators and hence explode when built, using their only ability in life to strike back at those would be so vile as to create sentient mines. that's a smart mine.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 6:14 am
Except for Ferengi mines, who offer you the chance to pass in peace, for some latinum.

In fact, thinking of things like that, I realized a type of mine that the Klingons would probably be in favor of.  One that disrupted warp fields, limiting all ships in the minefield to impulse speeds, effectively making them stand and fight.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 9:49 am
silent93 wrote:Except for Ferengi mines, who offer you the chance to pass in peace, for some latinum.

a vending machine for peace :D

seems like that mission in a1 where you could bribe the ferengi to go away and leave you to steal omega from the spoonheads.

silent93 wrote:In fact, thinking of things like that, I realized a type of mine that the Klingons would probably be in favor of.  One that disrupted warp fields, limiting all ships in the minefield to impulse speeds, effectively making them stand and fight.

seems similar to graviton mines, and is a good idea. but not for gameplay since warp isn't allowed. maybe a mine that slows ships slightly, but that could get op fast.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 12:58 pm
Last edited by Tyler on February 10th, 2012, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since Warp is used in a Federation special, an anti-Warp mine could be used to screw with Warp-Ins in some way. Something like forcing them out of Warp before reaching the target location if they pass within a certain distance.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 1:21 pm
Tyler wrote:Since Warp is used in a Federation special, an anti-Warp mine could be used to screw with Warp-Ins in some way. Something like forcing them out of Warp before reaching the target location if they pass within a certain distance.

WANT, WANT SO BAD. If only just to laugh at enemy after use.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 3:18 pm
Oh wow, flashback to one of the greatest moments of my childhood:

Messing around in TA, I once realized that on the Painted Desert there was a spire near my base that was so tall, I could use a transport plane to drop a walking bomb on top of it and the little guy could destroy aircraft with his explosion.  Anti-Aircraft mines :D

With regards to Warpin though, I feel like it should already be limited to arriving at a built station or next to a certain ship like the Sovy, and then when some ship reaches Veteran it can send warpins wherever you want.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 4:54 pm
Tryptic wrote:Oh wow, flashback to one of the greatest moments of my childhood:

Messing around in TA, I once realized that on the Painted Desert there was a spire near my base that was so tall, I could use a transport plane to drop a walking bomb on top of it and the little guy could destroy aircraft with his explosion.  Anti-Aircraft mines :D

i loved painted desert :D games that good live on in your memory forever.

transport planes were seriously op though if you got some twat who just discovered the miracle of commander bombing.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 9:57 pm
Tyler wrote:Since Warp is used in a Federation special, an anti-Warp mine could be used to screw with Warp-Ins in some way. Something like forcing them out of Warp before reaching the target location if they pass within a certain distance.

The approach angle is random; there's no way of reliably interdicting an incoming Federation warp-in. This would just be a huge waste.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 11:06 pm
Myles wrote:i loved painted desert :D games that good live on in your memory forever.

transport planes were seriously op though if you got some twat who just discovered the miracle of commander bombing.

Oh yeah.  I once had a perfectly good match going with this guy when he realized that I was going to win and my base was relatively compact, so he just walked his commander into the middle and took me out.

Also it was probably too expensive to be an effective strat, but the mobile anti-nuke unit made a good boom and could be flown over your enemy's base for some laughs.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 11:17 pm
Redshirt wrote:The approach angle is random; there's no way of reliably interdicting an incoming Federation warp-in. This would just be a huge waste.

How's that a waste? A small mine costing nothing but special energy you put down that might slow down a Warp-In and buy a few seconds to evacuate an expansion, compared to Warp-In working every time.
posted on February 10th, 2012, 11:22 pm

As i understand warp-in is being overhauled as well with a marker where the warp-in will go.
Before we propose drastic measures to kill warp-ins i propose we wait and see how the new balance will affect the warp-in.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5