Scout Me In

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4
posted on February 11th, 2012, 8:09 pm
Myles wrote:i still think starbases should eventually shoot at grey mode scouts after a time, even without sensor stations. some person on that base has eventually got to look out a window or notice the faint sensor trace on a routine scan. maybe after a really long time, and add a random component, such as random time between 30 and 60 seconds, with a roughly normal distribution centred around 45 seconds. that way you can't just leave a scout in your enemy's main base forever, but you can still get a good look with little effort.

Well, cloaked scouts can already do this.  And a different colored pixel will appear on the other player's map.
posted on February 11th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Last edited by Tryptic on February 11th, 2012, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would much prefer the range-based idea I had.  I really don't care if a scout is allowed to sit for a long time at the edge of your base, they can already do that because their vision is so good.

What I have a problem with is your scout sitting right next to the starbase which doesn't make sense that it wouldn't be detected.

But the real problem would be in the endgame with massive fleets when you'll be able to weave your scout through the enemy's ships and he won't be able to click on it properly, or worse he will end up firing on his own ships.  To adjust my previous post, I think that ALL weapons should still fire on grey-mode scouts that come within dogfight range.  It's the only way to prevent this kind of abuse.

Imagine if a large Klingon fleet HAD to cloak out but there was a Federation scout in their midst that was effectively untargetable due to all the chaotic fleet movement.  I'm talking multiple fleets of different races swarming in different directions firing wildly with various special ability animations going off.  Now obviously when the scout begins to scan it lights up and is easy to target, but you must decloak to get it and now you have to wait for the cooldown.

Of course, the AoE damage from Offensive-profile ships could help ease this problem a lot.  Perhaps these volleys should do increased damage to scouts in grey-mode to represent a vulnerability to high-energy spikes hitting the shield.
posted on February 11th, 2012, 10:04 pm
erm there is no chance of firing on your own ships as right clicking one of your own ships doesn't give an attack order, and there is no benefit to bringing up the attack cursor (hotkey a) to shoot an enemy scout. all that will be hard is getting your mouse to click on the enemy scout.
posted on February 11th, 2012, 10:12 pm
The OP said that you will need to use the attack command, but I wonder...

Dom, we need your guidance!  Will we be able to right-click a scout to kill it?
posted on February 11th, 2012, 10:19 pm
i think right clicking an enemy counts as an attack command, just like right clicking space counts as a move command and right clicking a resource (when controlling a miner) counts as a mine command.
posted on February 11th, 2012, 10:28 pm
Yes, but it sounds like they modified scouts to the extent that they don't even COUNT as enemies while in grey-mode.  How else would they prevent stations from firing on them?  I suspect you're right and right-clicking will work, but it could be either way.
posted on February 11th, 2012, 10:59 pm
I am very interested in the concepts of these new traits. I was wondering if we could see visible differences (like exterior lighting shut off and bussard collectors and engines dimmed). This would be a nice asthetic piece that can make things just a wee bit less obvious to see for someone who is visually just skimming over things.

Maybe we can also have it that to enemy players, the opacity of the ship is reduced giving a transparency effect making it even harder for them to see. Kinda like making it as if you are actually running the entire game off sensors. Because I'm sure not everyone would be looking out their windows looking for grey status flybys.
posted on February 11th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Yes, by the sounds of the OP, right clicking is the way to give attack orders. It would have to be.

How else is manual control to be executed by player?
posted on February 12th, 2012, 12:24 am
godsvoice wrote:Yes, by the sounds of the OP, right clicking is the way to give attack orders. It would have to be.

'a'?
posted on February 12th, 2012, 1:22 am
They're going for ease of use for new players, though.  There's no reason to restrict it to 'A'.
posted on February 12th, 2012, 1:34 am
A is the hotkey used to force fire, which I believe is what he was pointing out.
posted on February 12th, 2012, 4:47 am
Yup, just an observation, not a point.
posted on February 12th, 2012, 12:27 pm
from my perspective, when you right click on an enemy, you are giving the same order as if you pushed a then left clicked on the enemy. both are attack orders.

the only reason the a hotkey is useful is for firing on allied ships that don't get the right click attack cursor.
posted on February 12th, 2012, 7:54 pm
godsvoice wrote:Yes, by the sounds of the OP, right clicking is the way to give attack orders. It would have to be.

Myles wrote:from my perspective, when you right click on an enemy, you are giving the same order as if you pushed a then left clicked on the enemy. both are attack orders.

Hence 'a'; I wasn't making a comment on its virtues or lack thereof.
posted on February 13th, 2012, 12:31 am
My question wasn't meant literally.

I wasn't asking how else would you attack.

Just saying that a manual attack is a manual attack, and hence, manual attacks should work.

Whether they are short cuts through the keyboard, or mouse clicking, makes no difference.
1, 2, 3, 4