Release Your Inner Map Maker!

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2
posted on January 6th, 2013, 5:16 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on January 6th, 2013, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Join us in building the maps of the future!

[url=//www.fleetops.net/news/item/237-release-inner-map-maker]Click here to read this article![/url]
posted on January 6th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Whilst this might set the cat amongst the pigeons, there is no reason a map cannot be asymmetrical and ergo looking somewhat like "reality" and be balanced. The two are not mutually exclusive. So yes, rate a map based on balance. It is important. But don't exclude none symmetrical designs as instantly being imbalanced. :)
posted on January 6th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Give me one good reason why a map cannot favor Dilithium? I can give you one reason why a map should not favor Tritanium. Because it's useless beyond the first expansion.
posted on January 6th, 2013, 8:55 pm
I agree with Squire James. Asymmetrical maps are more fun and realistic. They create interesting challenges on how to defend your position, while having to take on a totally different strategy of tackling an opponent. I can understand how those types of maps can become unbalanced, but if you know what to look for, how to form a strategy, etc, it's really not that bad.
posted on January 6th, 2013, 10:32 pm
interesting, that 1v1 map looks like it would be a 3 player map. unfortunately it doesnt show the starting positions, will be interesting to see how it plays. and that pic of the runabout, cant wait to find out what that will be used for ingame :)

i have to say i do prefer a map to not look symmetrical (perhaps it could be semetrical to the balancing of moons and such important items, but aesthetically it could look asymmetrical)

also where would you guys like submissions to be uploaded? in this thread?
posted on January 7th, 2013, 12:05 am
@TChapman500Because too much dilithium contemplates spamming and no ability use. We already see too little support ship uses (except for leahvals and dodes, but those are more of a combat units anyway) and more people tend to spam ships and not invest in abilities anyway. And thi moons are absolutely useful even after your 1st expansion for the following reasons: subsystem upgrades, ability research and the possibility of putting up another yard to build some support ships.
posted on January 7th, 2013, 5:11 am
Feel free to post new maps in the Map Exchange section - that way everybody can comment on each map individually :)

As Zweistein stated, we'd like to push for a larger emphasis in technologies and level - dilithium heavy maps make it hard to justify building tritanium heavy units or tritanium heavy tech ups. The map choices play as much a hand in balance as the actual technology tree - making it consistently easy to stay low tier is not intended :).
posted on January 7th, 2013, 8:08 am
@TChapman - "Give me one good reason why a map cannot favor Dilithium? I can give you one reason why a map should not favor Tritanium. Because it's useless beyond the first expansion." Because the new version is different enough from the current version. Tritanium is NOT useless beyond the first expansion. Not remotely. Have faith in development, young one.
posted on January 7th, 2013, 7:47 pm
Okay, I'll see what I can come up with.
posted on January 8th, 2013, 12:01 am
actually.. since my rebalance mod wasn't a hit I'm trying this approach now.
posted on January 13th, 2013, 5:58 am
I disagree against asymmetrical maps because players can easily start off with an unfair advantage due to their starting location. I support symmetrical maps with even resources because each side has equal advantage. Whichever team has better skill will evidently prevail.Defiant001 has posted pictures of some of the maps I've created. Those maps are very fair and balanced in terms of resources and starting locations. In addition, I've made those maps rush proof in order to foster base development, expansion and tech upgrades. I understand that rush-proof maps are not popular among the FO community but it wouldnt hurt to try a different gaming style. I am always happy to distribute the maps I have and let other people edit them. Anyone is welcome to get in contact with either Defiant001 or me. Jokarr got in contact with me about distributing my maps to him, so he also has copies.
posted on January 13th, 2013, 10:49 am
Asymmetric in terms of appearance rather than asymmetric in terms of resources Battlehawk :)
posted on January 13th, 2013, 10:45 pm
Question guys.. what do I do when ships start to avoid a particular area of empty space even if the shortest route to their destination goes through there. I have a choke, just big enough to build a starbase in, but ships tend to fly all the way around the map rather then go through it. How do I fix that?

Also at one case I was placing s tar in my map and due to some glitch or bug, when I released the ctrl key it skyrocketed so far up in the map I can delete it (it doesn't even show on the screen unless you enter alternative mode) but it does generate light and take up memory data. How do I delete it?
posted on January 14th, 2013, 6:42 am
If memory serves, Ctrl-Shift-A in the map editor will bring up a list of all objects. Find your star, and delete it :)
posted on January 14th, 2013, 7:25 pm
Cool that worked.. now i just need to know what the fuck do the ships avoid a certain part of open space and rather take the path that takes them around the entire map instead of directly. Also pathing blockers are broken. They sometimes led ships through even though you spam like 100 of the in one place.
1, 2