Impact!

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
posted on February 5th, 2010, 3:53 pm
there are only minor elements that armada2 and legacy have in common, and definitely its not the core game engine :) Armada2 uses a software render for many elements, for example :P nobody would use a 10 year old engine.. they just recycled some parts, like ODFs, but thats just the input format, not the engine itself. They are not the same engine and not linked to armada2 exept some makeup on the outside.

To quote the development team:
MadDoc wrote:Star Trek®: Legacy and Tactical Assault, are they "complete builds" (new game engine) or are they based on existing gaming engines, if so, what engines are they based on?

At Mad Doc®, we’re capitalizing on our years and years of experience with Star Trek games, and we’ve actually been working on the core graphics engine for Legacy as its own new engine since 2002. Now we have platforms powerful enough to give us a result that looks downright cinematic – it’s why we’re doing the big push on Legacy and the game engine now. And let me just say, it’s paying off, because the game is looking spectacular!

Yep, there are plans for hull damage, but thats not possible at the moment. we would like to do something about that in future engine upgrades, but that still requires a lot of development :) we are working on it, though

And yep, the green blob is a torpedo
posted on February 5th, 2010, 3:58 pm
Quatre wrote:NOOOO  :crybaby:

Klings and Rommis are sharing somehow the same weapontechnology
Rommi:
Disruptor: green (like the Klingons)
Disruptorbeam green
Torpedo green

Kling:
Disruptor :green
Disruptorbeam: a yellow green (later DS9) or red (older ships)
torpedo: red

Fed:
the color of the Fedweapons are all good as they are. Just somehow new effects are needed.

Dom:
Beams: Blue to purple
torps: white maybee with a light touch of blue

Borg:
green

But I don't get I why so much weapons in Star Trek are green.
The Feds needed their own colors but why gree for the bad guys.
Also funny, why the Doms are the only ones who use weapons with the higest energy density in visible light.  :unsure:

The color is be the type of energy or plasma directed into the disruptors. They happen to be green because they use a similar weapon plasma or energy discharge.

Federation Phasers are basically a simple energy discharge. The energy happens to be a faded orange because that is of the type of energy that is discharged. Borg Cutting beams are green because of the energy that is discharged. Poleron Beams are bluish because of the energy that is discharged. It is all a matter of the weapon properties and what is fired.
posted on February 5th, 2010, 4:33 pm
well technically a2 does not need to use odfs you can make it use .txt, .lus (well basically .* as long as u use the odf coding inside and when ever you make a reference to the file attach its extension aswell
posted on February 5th, 2010, 5:11 pm
yea, as for all files, the extension is irrelevant. its just a freaky invention of windows  :lol:

ODF is not a language or coding either, its a mere properties file, a bit like an ini, just with close to zero functionality
posted on February 7th, 2010, 2:04 am
Could the makers of this game fix the save function for the Map Editior. it wont save created maps.
posted on February 7th, 2010, 2:23 am
Are you running windows7 or vista?
posted on February 7th, 2010, 12:44 pm
Any chance of seeing those effects in action? ^-^
posted on February 7th, 2010, 1:17 pm
as soon as more alien effects are done, i will put a small vid up :)
posted on February 9th, 2010, 3:44 am
:thumbsup: This all sounds GREAT!  This game has come along way.  I am looking forward to Your Video Clip on the Impacts.
posted on February 9th, 2010, 8:21 am
cabal wrote:
Interstate '76 --> Battlezone --> Armada --> Armada 2 --(lots of changes)--> Legacy
It's entirely possible that there is a generation or two between A2 and Legacy that we don't know about.

I remember finding the mission objective files for Battlezone in the misc folder for A2. I was pleasantly surprised to see the connection considering Activision's Battlezone was also one of my favorite underrated RTS games of all time. I'm not surprised they share similar engines... great games operate alike after all.  :whistling:
posted on February 11th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Cool!

I saw this and got so excited!

So I wanted to be the first to remind you guys that while you're working on the sprites that you please don't forget to make a prototype or working Scimitar deflector shield impact.

Another thing that I just remembered, is that all ships have 2 kinds of shields:
-Deflector shield (makes sure that debris, small asteroids, etc. don't damage the ship)
-Main shield (the standard EM shield that protects the ship against explosions and weapons.)
posted on February 11th, 2010, 6:10 pm
Optec wrote:as soon as more alien effects are done, i will put a small vid up :)

Does that mean we'll see a Notexer eating a batch of Sabers? Or an Iconian shooting its virus at a cube making it explode from the inside out?
posted on February 11th, 2010, 6:16 pm
RogueKnight24 wrote:So I wanted to be the first to remind you guys that while you're working on the sprites that you please don't forget to make a prototype or working Scimitar deflector shield impact.

Lol .... I'm sure they haven't forgotten anything they've planned to input ... D
posted on February 11th, 2010, 7:23 pm
Well, the scimitar isn't in the game (though it should go under Romulan mixed tech/uncommon stuff) and since the devs are making it balanced, things like the scimitar, Species 8472, etc would unbalance the game.
posted on February 11th, 2010, 7:29 pm
The Scimitar has been addressed.  It's not only in the FAQ on the Guide, but it's also in the forums a number of times.

Literally go into the search bar for the whole forum and type "Scimitar" and you'll get half a dozen threads titled "Scimitar".

Try that.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9