Cold Hard Numbers

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
posted on February 19th, 2012, 1:13 am
It's like the Legalization of Marijuana argument: we only point out the typos because dev screenies are so rare they feel taboo.  If you gave us tons and tons of screenies, we'd soon tire of being critical and get high off of the screenshots without bothering anyone. :D

@Remore
Actually, the amount of crew that need to die before the crew level goes yellow already feels different between ships, but maybe that's just because the algorithm is more complex than I realize.  It sounds like the Devs are already making the race profiles more distinct, maybe Feds could get a narrower yellow band (so they still get red crew at around the same point, but can stay at green with less crew than other races)

I feel like it would make more sense as a Fed feature than a Support feature.
posted on February 19th, 2012, 1:39 am
Last edited by Nebula_Class_Ftw on February 19th, 2012, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
godsvoice wrote:Station Pic In Text: and are being used since 24th century... and have been in use since...

I'm not sure about the second one, maybe it doesn't even need a correction, but when I read it, it felt a little off. My correction might be off to though. I don't know if we're writing from now time, or in later time. Maybe it doesn't matter, not a big deal.

"are being used since" is definitely wrong regardless of the writing time perspective. "are being used" can only apply to the present, it can't go into the past at all, while "since" covers the present and the past. "have been in use since" is indeed correct ("have been" covers primarily the past, but can include the present).
It's kind of an odd case, as most words just cover past xor present.
posted on February 19th, 2012, 2:39 am
Last edited by godsvoice on February 19th, 2012, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't believe there is any mal-intent from the community when they make such comments about screenies. While I can see from a dev or staff perspective how so many comments about something unfinished is a little much, at the same time, I think members probably are just trying to be of help. Very different intention there.  I don't see any of us being super spelling B winners or dictatorial teachers who look at these phrases and start posts to enforce proper English. Especially considering the typo correction topic that encourages mention of guide errors. Although, I think Dom's remark was pretty laid back, just that we ask and then critique, so there was never any real discussion of mal-intent anyways.

And about my earlier comment, it was minutes after waking up. I realized I had left my computer on all night, and I went over to it, then just kinda ended up checking a few emails and a couple sites and saw the new news post so made a quick comment before turning it off.

Other than that, I'm already messed up with my tenses since grade school. I went to a french immersion here in Canada. English is my first language, but I learnt mostly everything in French, math, history, etc and tenses (I think science was the only main one that might have been english for us). But they were pretty bad on the English side about teaching what it was you were learning in french (like what the french you were learning meant in English). ha, In high school it got weird. You had it all in your head, but in french. I can still imagine them all, Passe Compose, plus-que parfait subjonctif, passe/future anterieur, conditionnel, futur simple. Then you have avoir ou etre? and is it an er, re, or ir conjugation, or irregular. oh, and female male! but none of that applies in English. You can't even extend things like ing, ed, or er words. like run, running, runner, but there is no runned or ranned, its just ran. Break, broke, broken, breaking, but no he breaked it. Finally in Highschool (12) we had a really great teacher, and she broke down everything, when you say this is french, this is what you are meaning to see as from the English side. A little late in the game though. It still screws me up in english. You just end up getting the feel of it through having read english. I'm not even sure if there is an english teaching of proper tense usage (like in our curriculum, maybe there was in non immersion). Anyways, I'm probably dragging on.
posted on February 19th, 2012, 3:16 am
They're like the beta testers of tooltips, spotting things small enough to pass under the radar.

Speaking of trivial nitpicking, the Defiant apparently works for the Unite Federation now.
posted on February 19th, 2012, 4:30 am
Tyler wrote:They're like the beta testers of tooltips, spotting things small enough to pass under the radar.

Speaking of trivial nitpicking, the Defiant apparently works for the Unite Federation now.

Right: that's obviously supposed to be the Unité Federation.

(That actually makes sense, what with the Federation capital being Paris...)
posted on February 19th, 2012, 4:38 am
OH YES I want an avatar Picard that changes it to Unité Federation since he's French.

[Fancy e was shamelessly stolen from Redshirt's post, I have no idea how to insert that]
posted on February 19th, 2012, 4:43 am
é is alt-130 (found it by dumb luck.)
posted on February 19th, 2012, 4:57 am
Great post, only thing I noticed was that I don't see the ship names on the hull :( On the Defiant it should have clearly been visible, but I can't see it anywhere, or on any other ship. Any insight onto this? Has it been removed for this upcoming patch?
posted on February 19th, 2012, 5:02 am
Nope, it just hasn't been implemented in the current balance testing version :) . Adding the more aesthetic stuff - like tooltips and their corrections (:P to previous posts  :lol: ), or buttons and registeries - will all happen close to release. Prior to that, we're busy implementing balance and major feature testing, so there's not thaaaat much emphasis on getting the pretty stuff in-game. Except for newsposts of course  ^-^
posted on February 19th, 2012, 6:20 am
Cool post but i was really hoping that the cold hard numbers would be a date :]
posted on February 19th, 2012, 6:30 am
Well, usually Fleet Operations likes to get to know you a bit better before going out on a date - maybe what you like... long walks on the beach maybe, considerate of others...

I'm sorry, FleetOps just isn't ready yet - you'll know when she is :)
posted on February 19th, 2012, 11:43 am
"fancy e", is the letter e with an acute accent (fr: accent aigu) and it's much easier to type it by holding alt gr and pushing e. you can put acute accents on all the standard latin vowel letters using that.

áéíóú

if you turn on the UK extended keyboard (i think other english speaking countries may have extended keyboards too) in windoze's region settings then you can type all the other funny accents from many languages too, without the need to holding alt while typing out horrible numbers. i learned this the hard way preparing an essay in french.

also for completion (not to detract from the good humour of the joke) feds in french would be fédération-uni, not unité fédération, same as United Kingdom is Royaume-uni, and United States is Etats-uni. unité is the noun unity, not the adjective united. also adjectives and the nouns they modify are often switched in order, only few simple adjectives precede their noun in french.
posted on February 19th, 2012, 1:58 pm
The defiant used to counter short ranged vessels i take it this is no longer the case? so briels and kvorts would counter it then?

Ablative armour gives it a damage reduction from short range but its offensive profile also makes it takes more damage from pulses so the new profile just overwrite its previous bonus giving it nothing..... :blink:
posted on February 19th, 2012, 2:18 pm
can't do the exact maths on the defiant yet as we don't know what numbers the ablative armour and tactical weapons array passive will give. martok bops wouldn't counter defiants unless the passives were weakened a huge amount.

at current AA 50% less damage amounts, the defiant would still counter the martok bops, just by less amount.

if the AA passive is adjusted to be roughly 30% less damage from short range, then martok bop pulses will do to the defiant roughly the same damage they would do to an allrounder.

also the brel has TWA passive too, so the short range defiant can damage it more. plus the defiant is just far higher tech and armed with its own pulses, so the brel/kvort would need to hard counter it (like monsoon does to e2 currently), before the higher tech defiants would be countered by martok bops.

taqqy bops have torps too, which will now miss the off profile defiant with greater freq, so she doesn't stand a chance.

the defiant currently absolutely slaughters bops if you can get to them, the only reason we don't see this often is because they are from different parts of the game. if enemy bop spams you, you aren't gonna have time to get defiants. also by the time fed makes defiants, the klinks will be making something like vorchas, and not relying on bops any more.
posted on February 19th, 2012, 2:30 pm
MrXT wrote:Ablative armour gives it a damage reduction from short range but its offensive profile also makes it takes more damage from pulses so the new profile just overwrite its previous bonus giving it nothing..... :blink:

Pulse weaponry is not necessarily short-range weaponry...

There are pulse-weapons of all ranges, and the B'Rel/K'Vort ones will still be less powerful against the Defiant-class if the AA still reduces short-range weaponry and if the standard-bops remain short-range-based.

based on our current stuff

B'rels and K'vorts = short-ranged, pulse

Defiant = Ablative Armor but Offensive profile.

Guess what? Because of Ablative armor, the damage Bonus the BoP's would usually get will be reduced or eliminated. Defiants will take normal damage instead increased damage.

Also, the bops are pretty much certainly going to be offensive-profile-vessels too.
The Defiant has Pulse-weapons, too. So the Defiant will do more damage to them, not the other way around. Defiants will that way still counter BoPs.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6