Cold Hard Numbers

Announcements and news by us. Post comments about them here.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
posted on February 18th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on February 18th, 2012, 7:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Previously we had mentioned that each profile gets distinct benefits with respect to weapons, as well as stating that ordnance will have particular characteristics. Yet, there were frequent questions about actual raw numbers and comparison to earlier patches, which we will answer in this news post. Of course, we must warn that since we are still in development, numbers are not necessarily set in stone.

Click here to read this article!
posted on February 18th, 2012, 5:04 pm
so if i'm getting this straight, torps have a base hit rate of 80%, but for support ships this will be reduced by 40% of the base, ie they will hit 80*0.6= 48% of the time.

while pulses always hit and do a base damage of 80% of the damagebase value, but against supports they will do 40% more, so 80*1.4=112% of the damagebase value.

second paragraph, first line, a vessel consists of.... shouldn't that be a weapon consists of?
posted on February 18th, 2012, 5:04 pm
looks like nice info
posted on February 18th, 2012, 5:08 pm
Woops! Thanks :)

Yup, those calculations are correct  :thumbsup:
posted on February 18th, 2012, 5:31 pm
Really liking what I read!!
posted on February 18th, 2012, 5:33 pm
so stations get a 40% reduction in pulse damage, bringing pulse damage down to 48% of damagebase, and get a 25% increase in torpedo hit rate, bringing torpedo hit rate up to 100%.

i really like the idea of miners being even weaker against pulses and better against torps. a full fleet won't be much better than a small raiding fleet at raiding now. previously a lot of people just brought the whole fleet for cloaked raids, now small fleets of raiders can truly be a nightmare.

brels will cement themselves as a real attractive ship.

the remore lore text has a little typo, unmaned instead of unmanned.
posted on February 18th, 2012, 6:18 pm
I personally don't see the base damage of a weapon to be 80%, but just weapons having different average damage per second. But i guess you can see it anyway you like :)

Yet, torpedoes have a base hit chance of 80%, so +25% on stations equals a sure hit. I'm currently fiddeling around with the tooltips and we will probably change the display to something like "torpedoes become a sure hit" or so where the hit chance of a weapon reaches or exceeds 100%, as that's a lot clearer in this corner case.
posted on February 18th, 2012, 6:19 pm
Defiant Pic In Text: and made the this unique... and made this unique

Station Pic In Text: and are being used since 24th century... and have been in use since...

I'm not sure about the second one, maybe it doesn't even need a correction, but when I read it, it felt a little off. My correction might be off to though. I don't know if we're writing from now time, or in later time. Maybe it doesn't matter, not a big deal.

As for post, pretty good. Yeah, I was gonna say I might go for brels... but kvorts are pulse damage too right? So I don't know if it actually cements them in. There has to be a reason for brel use of pulse, instead of kvort pulse. But I guess there is one, brels are cheaper. So maybe.

I was thinking people would have commented on differences to the actual numbers. It looks like, unless I'm wrong, numbers have dropped? Remore went down below 20 to 19? I don't remember what it was, don't really build it, but wasn't it in the mid 20s? Maybe it is because of new yard allocation. It is easier to get to now than before when it was in eraudi? The new yard right? Defiant looks a little less too, 36 - 34.

I guess I was just expecting increases, better support vessels, so stronger remore not weaker, but offensive ships would maybe have got increase to offensive and weaker defensive. But the defiant is now weaker offensively, and stronger defensively. Went from 36 offensive to 34, and went from 38 defensive to 42. Yet it is offensive profile.

Always nice to get pics though, I guess this is more on the technical side of things than general information. But its what some of us asked for so no problems there.
posted on February 18th, 2012, 6:24 pm
Yep, the tooltips are still work in progress and get a few correction cycles  :sweatdrop:

The shift in stat's on some units might also be caused by other changes, as, for example, the faction-specific stats profiles are a bit more significant now, as they are now better integrated in the gameplay and techtree buildup. I noted down to write about that one soon too  ^-^
posted on February 18th, 2012, 6:37 pm
Excellent post, this is exactly what I was hoping for.  When combined with the weakening of passives, this will make ship balance less extreme overall, while defining clear roles for raiding and killing bases.  Bravo!

Yes, the tooltips need a bit of grammar correction.  I would offer to help with that, but it could potentially be more trouble giving me access than I would be able to help out.  I count about 6 or so typos in the tooltips displayed here  :pinch:

I can see what you mean about racial profiles, though.  That defiant has a higher defense/offense ratio than the current one!

EDIT: one thing I just realized.  Will turrets and platforms use the same damage profile as structures, or will they be less extreme?  After all, they're smaller and more closely related to ship balance.
posted on February 18th, 2012, 6:52 pm
Optec wrote:I personally don't see the base damage of a weapon to be 80%, but just weapons having different average damage per second. But i guess you can see it anyway you like :)

i don't see them that way either, i would call "base damage" the value in the odf for the damagebase line.

i go this vibe of base damage of pulses being 80% from the recent newsposts, where the profiles adjust damage for pulses by a percentage, from a base which is already 80% of the damagebase value.

ie offensive profile ships take 25% more damage from pulses, instead of saying they take "base damage" in the sense of the damagebase value.
posted on February 18th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Last edited by Optec on February 18th, 2012, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ah ok i get your point myles. the damagebase value in the odf are now the actual base damage on vessels without damage modifications (for example against an allround ship), so weapons just differ in average dps due to some mechanics, like having multitargeting or the like, which is also correctly accounted for in the offensive value. At the end of the day both the ODFs and the actual game mechanics should be easier to understand now :)

//edit:
Defensive Platforms are now a seperate profile, which - currently - shares the damage statistics with stations, so there is no difference here at the moment (besides its easier and clearer to explain special weapons like "increases the damage of all nearby platforms" when they are grouped in a profile). Yet, this might not be final. We will have to do more testing and see how all the new game mechanics and special abilities change the gameplay to see if we want to give turrets their own unique damage and hitchance modifications. This is a hot topic on my table :sweatdrop:
posted on February 18th, 2012, 7:06 pm
thanks optec, that has helped clarify things a lot :),
posted on February 18th, 2012, 8:34 pm
All your minerz are belong to Boggz' B'rels :badgrin:
posted on February 18th, 2012, 8:37 pm
So if the Remore is highly automated, can it lose crew without dropping its rate of fire?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6