KA2: Empire at War 1.2 beta

1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
posted on May 22nd, 2015, 6:49 am
That would be great !... :thumbsup:
And most importantly you will save my job ! :lol:
posted on May 22nd, 2015, 5:27 pm
Squire James wrote:I played as the Klingon Empire against the Romulan Star Empire just the other day. If it happens again, could you send a crash report from the bug catcher? Thanks!

Here it is :)
after this I suddenly could just play... strange

Attachments

exceptArmada2.txt
log
(24.91 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
posted on May 22nd, 2015, 8:06 pm
Hmm strange. It seems to be pointing to a techtree error, as you've said, but then the memory dump mentions a physics file and the Tholian advanced shipyard.

If I might ask for more details, which map were you playing and against what side or sides?
posted on May 26th, 2015, 7:22 am
I was playing the default map, against a Random easy AI, so it could have been tholian.
I did see the error multiple times though, always when playing Klingon vs Random AI.
posted on May 29th, 2015, 1:09 pm
Hmm .... I played thru the entire Tholian techtre and they didn't give me error, - until i quit the game !... ???
As soon as i quit the game i received a error message !?... :pinch:
That didn't happen with the other races !?... :o

EDIT - It is interesting that i received a error message even when i played with other races against the Tholians !!!???... :o
posted on May 29th, 2015, 2:04 pm
Hmmm, could be an issue with the "Admirals Log" then. I shall have to investigate.

Is it repeatable? (happen every time). Also, next time it happens could you post the crash log please?
posted on May 30th, 2015, 7:12 am
Last edited by Fleet Trek on May 30th, 2015, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squire James wrote: Is it repeatable? (happen every time).

Yes, it happens every time i play with or against the Tholians !?...

Squire James wrote: Also, next time it happens could you post the crash log please?

error.jpg
error.jpg (241.68 KiB) Viewed 1061 times
posted on May 30th, 2015, 4:26 pm
Right! This is good! (well not, good, but if it's repeatable it's usually easier to solve than that bug that only appears if it's dark outside , on a certain day of the year, and you've sacrificed a live chicken....)

I'll get right to it gentlemen. I apologise for any inconvenience this causes. (it's especially odd since there is little I've changed with the Tholians since earlier releases, so why it's "broke" I am unsure, but we will find out!)

EDIT: Okay, tested it myself. Playing as both the Tholians and as the Federation against the Tholians, using the map editor to place all Tholian ships and stations on the map, and both looking at the admirals log ingame and ending the game and viewing it that way, I can't seem to make it crash. The only bug I found was that I forgot to rename two admirals log images, so the Sapphire and the Citrine didn't have pictures, but this didn't cause a crash. (easy fix for you, just rename TDN.png to TSapphire.png and TMonitor.png to TCitrine.png.)

Could you just confirm that you are running the latest 1.41 patch?

DOUBLE EDIT: On closer inspection, it seems to be once combat has occurred (TallyScreenInfo.CreateEffectivenessData) though why this would cause a crash and how to fix it I am unsure.
posted on May 30th, 2015, 6:00 pm
Squire James wrote: Could you just confirm that you are running the latest 1.41 patch?

1.41 - Patch:
1.jpg
1.41 - Patch
1.jpg (418.4 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

Squire James wrote: (it's especially odd since there is little I've changed with the Tholians since earlier releases, so why it's "broke" I am unsure, but we will find out!)

I seem to remember having the same problems with the Tholians earlier, but i didn't say anything because i thought that you know about it ... (And i thought that it will be fixed sooner or later) ...

Squire James wrote: DOUBLE EDIT: On closer inspection, it seems to be once combat has occurred (TallyScreenInfo.CreateEffectivenessData) though why this would cause a crash and how to fix it I am unsure.

I am sure you will fix it . :thumbsup:
posted on January 4th, 2016, 9:22 pm
Just a quick post really to announce that KA2 EAW v1.5 has been released.

- Physics files have been entirely redone. Hopefully this will solve the "wandering ships" problem, ships endlessly turning etc.

- Reworked weapons ranges. Tractor Beam weapons are now very short ranged, (all extrapolated from KA range data) Hellbores are now long range, capable of out-ranging most weapons. Each race's torpedo cruiser now has very long ranged torpedoes that can only target stations (and large monsters...)

- Most Hydran ships now have a fighter complement. These are hellbore or fusion beam armed, and the exact complement varies ship to ship. Some carry all fusions, some all hellbores, some a mix. Tooltips have been modified to reflect this.

- General bug fixes and graphical tweaks.

- New hero units (Commander Thok Mak for the Klingon Empire, Admiral Lenara for the Romulan Star Empire) and new VOs for the USS Star Empire and the IKS QeH'ral (namely, Captain Torlek, the player character from Klingon Academy)

- New VOs for several ship classes, to increase variety.

- Several new, symmetrical maps.

- New FleetOps style explosion effects

- New upgrade functionality. Carriers can upgrade to carry new types of fighter, and ISC ships can upgrade to their Disruptor armed "D" Refits.

- Secondary, Heavy and Advanced weapons no longer target fightercraft. (Ships will now engage them with primary weapons only)

- Changed probe functionality. Now fires a probe from a forward torpedo tube in the direction the ship is facing, which travels for a set time until it fades out.

- Added Plasma-Detecting Probes (PDPs) to certain ships. These probes are functionally the same as regular ones, but also reveal cloaked ships in their sensor range.

- Added new, subtle phaser flares to beam weapons. Not as garish as normal A2 flares, they help to blend the effect better, especially with large beams like the PPD or the AMFP.
posted on January 5th, 2016, 12:46 pm
Squire James wrote:Just a quick post really to announce that KA2 EAW v1.5 has been released.

:thumbsup:
posted on March 18th, 2016, 9:54 pm
My friend James, I played today with your mod and appreciate your effort to create such a complex game-play with all that races included.
posted on March 19th, 2016, 12:23 pm
Thanks :) I am still working on it, little tweaks here and there.

For example, I've redone the graphics for all three disruptor types using the actual graphics files from KA. With a little tweaking to fit the way the Storm3d engine handles weapons fire compared to the KA Engine, they look identical to how they appear in KA. Subtle difference but worth it, especially as it only took a few minutes :)

After watching some Lets' Plays, I realised I had the graphical effect for the GHRC and the QCB wrong (I have them as green and blue, when in KA they are a sort of, purply wave and a green tractor beam). I've fixed these, again using files from KA itself. Also modified the way the tractor beam looks to emulate KA more closely.

Something that took WAAAY longer, and I am not entirely sure if it's an improvement was converting and modifying the Klingon Starbase model from KA. This is more or less like building a whole new model when it comes to converting from KA formats, as they have no texture mapping, so you have to remap everything (often every single face!) yourself. The Starbase was actually 5 separate models, which after all that I then had to reassemble into one model, and then remap everything AGAIN so it uses a single texture file.

It's not fantastically different to the original model (after all, the Starbase from SFC was based on the same basic model as the KA one, 14 Degrees East just simplified the texture mapping, design and poly-reduced it) but, it is slightly more detailed. Still working on the final textures (I find KA models have insufficient lightmaps for my tastes, so I go back and add new lightmapped searchlights and what not. It's the same load on the engine but it makes models look SO much better) Once i've finished the lightmaps, I'll upload some comparison shots. I might convert a few more models from KA to see if they are any improvement over what I have currently.

Also done some boring behind the scenes stuff like altering damage ratios (weapons are less likely to knock out life support on stations now), and converting all sound files to a common bit rate, sample rate and bit depth. Oooh, also I changed the sound effect for the Hydran Trading Station, and I added new unique sound effects for each Lyran Station rather than using the Hydran ones. I also added an extra "voice" for the Lyrans to add variety, and changed some of the voiceovers for the Romulan Hero, Admiral Lenara.
posted on March 19th, 2016, 1:49 pm
FOScreenShot_160319_123737.png
Old Starbase from SFC
FOScreenShot_160319_123737.png (828.89 KiB) Viewed 665 times

Old Starbase from SFC, with a few texture edits by me (landing pads altered to KA style ones, for example)

FOScreenShot_160319_123636.png
New Starbase from KA
FOScreenShot_160319_123636.png (847.78 KiB) Viewed 665 times

New Starbase from KA, with texture remapping and lightmaps by me.

What do you think? Was it worth the many many hours of work to convert it :lol:
posted on March 20th, 2016, 9:16 pm
Would it be awkward of me to suggest something in between? :-P

I like the textures of the KA one more, and the core section especially. But I'm not a fan of the pods and the arms. If you took the arms and pods from the SFC model, put the KA textures on them, and attached them to the KA core, you'd be on to a winner, in my opinion. :-)
1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18