Tryptic's Mod Version 2.0 under construction

1, 2
posted on April 18th, 2014, 5:14 pm
Hey guys, I know it's been a while but I wanted to update everyone on my progress. Yes, I am working on creating the next version of Tryptic's mod, and I want to make one thing clear: the goal of my mod is for it to be balanced and fun enough that it fully replaces 3.27 as the default mode, as if it were version 3.3. I understand that I can't just make stuff up and force it on people which is why ALL of my work is open to criticism and suggestion. I've already taken many ideas from the community and now that I've finished with the basics I want Version 2 to be based heavily on your feedback.

Here is the list of changes in version 1.6:
//www.fleetops.net/forums/modifica ... on-1-12559

And I will continue to post further changes in this thread.

For V2, my current focus is the Borg transmission matrix. I want to make the specials more available early game and more usable late game. I also want to continue my theme of giving each of the races some long range scouting mechanic: the Romulans have the intelligence center, the feds have the improved Canaveral and the Dominion have the improved hyperspace sensor station, which will no longer require a regular scout station in V2. I need something for the Borg and the Klingons.
posted on April 18th, 2014, 6:56 pm
Thanks for your work on this.

The only thing that comes to mind is that nanites need to be toned down. Seriously toned down. The Spring 2011 tournament finale between Boggz and Old Time Pro, where Boggz had 3/4 of the map and far more units, demonstrates why.
posted on April 19th, 2014, 1:52 pm
MadHatter wrote:...
The only thing that comes to mind is that nanites need to be toned down. Seriously toned down. ....

Well, i wouldn't take that single game to balance nanites. Boggz was rather passive mid game, and "having more units" is a rather obvious thing against Borg.
What about making them stronger, but smaller in radius? Keeps at least annoying me, that the ingame effect doesn't line up with the actual radius, creating an unnecessary micro disadvantage for the non Borg.
I wouldn't suggest to extremely buff / nerf certain features.

For your scout station idea: the scout relays by the borg could automatically send out a tachyon ping every 20 seconds, if a double EM adaptor is nearby (medium range?), creating some mechanic where a borg player gains a slight advantage on his home land. Also remove them from auto targetting. Far away placements of course still possible, but undesired.
Suggested Drawback: instead of all units, only Scubes and Adaptors can pop them now. Energy consumption raised from 50 to 75 / 100, increase the cost of placing them, instead of 10 supply, maybe 20 di + 10 supply.
Combined with the sensor research, the Borg could gain some serious sensor advantage, for the lack of other fancy specials.

And last but not least: have you talked to Nephalim?
posted on April 19th, 2014, 3:47 pm
@MadHatter Yeah, I agree. I use that game as an example too: what I've done so far is to increase the energy cost and add a cost in CC to limit mass spamming by 4-5 diamonds. The other thing I'm looking at is the range, since Diamonds can cast it very far away and the radius is so big...if I lower those, then I'll probably also lower the energy/CC cost again since people would use a larger number of smaller nanite fields.

@beserene Wow, that's actually very close to what I was thinking last night. I've had this idea, that certain borg ships get their specials without the transmission matrix research, and then the transmission matrix gives that special to all the other ships as well. In this case, EM scubes and adaptors would be able to drop the scout stations right away but the other ships require the tech, and like you said the EM ships would be able to activate a ping from one as well.

As for the extreme range scouting, perhaps some sort of grey mode for the detector. That would allow it to transwarp near an enemy fleet and survive for a few seconds, maybe. We'll see...
posted on April 19th, 2014, 6:54 pm
If nothing else at all is done for them, the effect area needs to match the graphical area.
posted on April 22nd, 2014, 11:56 am
More powerfull for Borg :) etc starbase, turrent aray. :)
posted on April 22nd, 2014, 4:31 pm
Hello guys :D !

First of all: Tryptic, I have to say that your mod is awesome :thumbsup: !!! I really like your changes which add much more diversity between the five races! Keep up the really good work!

Here are my thoughts on v1.6.
I am curious what you guys think about it, so feel free to comment! Thanks a lot!

Romulan Singularity Generator
Turrets are powered up to artillery range --> the visual range of the radius (red line) is not adjusted yet.
Also: Why not use the Singularity Generator as stationary sensor station of some sort (e.g. refitting the sensor range)?

Romulan Disruptor Turret
I would like to see a change to the alternate weaponry. As of now Romulan Turrets are useless in late-game (even with the cloaking device). If the weaponry would be changed to Plasma Torpedos larger late-game vessels would recive more damage from the turrets. I am not sure about the correct balancing (maybe the technology has to be a little bit more expensive).

Borg Pyramid
I really like your change to Borg Spheres with the Holding beam module so that Nanites can be used. I think it would be a good buff to the Pyramid if those vessels could also make more use of their (four) holding beam moduls!

Dominion Bomber
The Bomber in the mod fires 2 torpedos at once. I would like to see a small change: The Fed Torpedo Nebula fires 2 torpedos in a volley and then recharges. If the Dom Bomber would fire in a similar pattern, it would be a little bit more "organic". But that is just my opinion...

Kingon Neghvar
I like the fact, that the Veteran slots are reduced, but that is kind of imbalanced imo. While you can have 4 veteran Neghvars, it is possible to promote just 2 Luspets, 2 Sovereigns, 2 V-13s, 2 Norexans or 2 Big-Ds...

Alien Technology
I don't know if this is possible, but I would like to see more technology that makes original ships stronger.
For example: Instead of one normal Defiant and one cloaking Defiant, I would like to see that the Alien Technoloy unlocks a refit or something else so that all Defiants can be upgraded with the cloaking device. That as to be very expensive of course.

Till next time :)
Cya
posted on April 28th, 2014, 2:14 am
I just wanted to give you guys an update of what I've been doing. To be honest this week has pretty busy IRL for me, I got a car for free from my coworker except it doesn't run, so it's become a personal project to see if I can get it working again. But enough about real life...

My big focus for Tryptic's Mod this weekend has been the OOS issues caused by certain ships. As Dom explained it to me, the issue has to do with things that take several seconds to refit into other things. He most generously shared a fix with me that he was working on in the past, and I'm busy reworking all of them to use the new system. Dominus said that this alternate code seemed to be working for their test group, but warned that it hasn't been stress-tested in large games like 4v4's. So once Tryptic's Mod V2 comes out I'll ask you guys to start up big team games and then try to OOS the game. Things that should be affected by this patch are the Fed turrets, Newton, and Generix refits.

Also I've been slowly altering artillery ships to use the Devs' new standard for V4, which is 1200 range instead of 1100.

Also I've been tweaking ship stats based on peoples' feedback. Here's a short list of some (not all) of the tweaks:

-D'Deridex build time increased
-Canaveral cost and build time reduced a bit
-Griffin crew reduced
-Klingon Field Yard Extensions supply cost removed
-Klingon HWP requires Battle Yard instead of Field Research
-Klingon scout station requires no tech, vision range increased
-Alien Tech research time reduced some more
-Fed pulse platform and Romulan Disruptor turret damage increased
-Fed torpedo platform offense/defense reduced OR requires chassis level 3. Not sure which one yet.
-Borg detector gets 1 shield hp, so it must be shot once before boarding it.
-A whole bunch of Borg specials tweaked (nothing new added yet though)
posted on April 28th, 2014, 3:39 am
For Fed turrets, maybe Chassis 1 for pulse, Chassis 2 for phaser, and Chassis 3 for torpedo?
posted on April 28th, 2014, 3:59 am
MadHatter wrote:For Fed turrets, maybe Chassis 1 for pulse, Chassis 2 for phaser, and Chassis 3 for torpedo?

I kinda miss an argument here.
posted on April 28th, 2014, 4:15 am
You should visit the argument clinic for that!

Somewhat more seriously, my suggestion takes Tryptic's idea that Federation torpedo turrets should depend on Chassis 3 and extends it to a logical progression across the turret types and chassis levels.
posted on April 28th, 2014, 10:55 am
beserene wrote:
MadHatter wrote:For Fed turrets, maybe Chassis 1 for pulse, Chassis 2 for phaser, and Chassis 3 for torpedo?

I kinda miss an argument here.

Actually I was thinking something like this. I think what Kamk is trying to say is "don't change it without telling us why," which is a good policy to follow. Let me first say that I think Pulse platforms don't deal enough damage to fill their role of anti-early game raiders (28 offense value). If I were to increase that, the pulse platform becomes a better option and pushing the phaser platform back to chassis level 2 becomes less crucial for Feds. I've already streamlined the Fed technology tree to depend on chassis levels a lot more, and with my change to Eraudi yards this seems like a logical next step.
posted on April 29th, 2014, 8:33 pm
Well, kinda tough to see sometimes, if people really suggest something or just randomly brainstorm without actually thinking about the impact.

Never used them as anti-raid, more like an "the longer you stay, the more it will hurt" tool - a cheap and fast upgradeable annoyance, not more, as probably intended. Also they're quite decent together with phaser platforms (similar to the Dominion one). A single turret doesn't hurt anyone, but that changes quickly with a couple of them, or if you overstay your welcome.
I'd probably lower the cost a bit, so actually getting platforms for the upgrade isn't always the main goal, more to have a small panic button (they're cheap, they ugprade fast).
posted on April 29th, 2014, 9:45 pm
Yeah, that's how I see them too. I'll look into the upgrade time, maybe the pulse platform could get full shields when it upgrades as an advantage over the others...

But still, I think a little more than 28 offense is needed. The dominion turret is in a good place with 34 offense +20% vs shields which makes it 41. The Romulan turret and pulse platform are like "oh no there's an engine-disabled griffin floating next to those miners! Now I'll never be able to raid them!" XD
posted on May 8th, 2014, 11:59 am
Okay, I haven't finished every single feature yet, but as I promised Mighty Master I wouldn't go too long developing Version 2, I've decided to release it this weekend. I'll try to upload my backlog of replays to YouTube tonight so that I can record new ones freely. I look forward to playing and recording with you guys :D
1, 2