KA2: Empire at War 1.2 beta

1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18
posted on January 8th, 2014, 1:24 am
Good good. I apologise for that odd way of installing but it's a necessary evil, at least until I perhaps work out how to make it standalone.
posted on January 29th, 2014, 5:48 am
So, to give you all a small update...

From a visual perspective, nothing much has changed. However, I've gone into the events.dat, and completely rebuilt it so that it makes more sense from a coding perspective. I've cut out some unused and unnecessary sound files and applied a proper naming convention to the rest. I also converted the music to .mp3 format to save space. All in all I saved about 140mb of space just doing that.

I reinstated a modified version of the old KA intro video, along with my own slant on the "Activision" logo scene.

I've been tweaking the AI to attempt to get it to build a little more rationally and build it's stations further apart. Seems to have had some success. I've also added hero ships for three sides (Federation, Gorn and ISC) and pending proper voices overs, will add them for the Klingons, Romulans and Tholians.

I've recoded the tech tree and shipyards so that now, if you capture an opponents shipyard, you can build your ships from there. Advanced/Imperial/Praetorian etc shipyards the same, except whatever your second stage shipyard could build. This even works for the Hydrans, so if you capture an enemy stage 2 shipyard, you can build your capital ships from there instead of using construction ships.

I've removed the ambient impulse engine sounds, as they never really worked right, seemed to interfere with the music (likely too many sounds playing at once) and were too loud when there were lots of ships.

Graphics wise, I've added some variation in planetary atmospheres. I've also been tweaking the sun models that I believe came from the midnight universe mod. They weren't quite right for me, and I added a few new variants.

posted on January 29th, 2014, 8:02 pm
Those suns do look very nice. I'm interested in the sound modding you did. Just changing them to MP3 doesn't affect anything game wise? The game engine plays them as normal? What program did you use to convert them?

I like the idea of getting rid of the ambient engine sounds too as you stated.
posted on January 29th, 2014, 10:56 pm
Well the new audio engine in FleetOps allows the use of .mp3s for music and .oggs for effects, voiceovers etc. I left the voiceovers and effects as waves just because they are small enough not to warrant conversion IMHO.

Music wise I actually redid the music using higher quality sources, so it actually sounds better than the original wavs (A2 Stock only allowed 22kHz files, whereas the FleetOps multimedia pack uses 44kHz files, so I found my original sound track files that are in 44kHz and recompiled (stuck several tracks together) to make new mp3 files.

You will need to go into the race odfs (Fed.odf for example) and change the lines where it specifies what music file to play to change the extension. I also changed the file name, since the old naming convention was odd. So, I followed FleetOps and just have "Federation.mp3" and "Gorn.mp3" etc.
posted on September 22nd, 2014, 6:43 pm
posted on September 23rd, 2014, 12:35 pm
Thanks new relese! Klingon Academy my favorite game. Unfortunately not countinous :( But your mod is good :)
posted on September 23rd, 2014, 2:24 pm
Squire James wrote:Just a small post to say that the KA2 EAW v1.3 Beta is out now.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/klingon-academy-ii-the-general-war/downloads/ka2-empire-at-war-v13-beta

I follow the new instal method, but game can't start after selection KA2 mod :(
Please help me! Thanks
posted on September 23rd, 2014, 2:59 pm
Right, lets start from the top :)

If you have installed the STA2 Classic Mod, you should have a Mods folder inside your FleetOps folder. In my case, I have FleetOps on my storage drive so it's "D:\Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations\Data\Mods"

Inside here you should have whatever directory the STA2 Classic Mod creates. (Mods\STA2 Classic) for example.

You should also have downloaded the Texture Replacement Folder from the KA2 ModDB page.

Copy the Classic Mods folder and rename the copy to "CutDown".
Open this new folder. Find the textures folder. Delete it.
Open the Replacement Texture Folder RAR and copy the Textures folder from it to your new CutDown directory.

Now install KA2 EAW 1.3. It should install to Mods\KA2 EAW (so that if you open that folder, inside are the various config files, odf folder, sounds folder etc.)

Now run FleetOps, click Options then Mod Settings. It should have an option for "KA2 EAW Development"
posted on September 23rd, 2014, 3:17 pm
Squire James wrote:Right, lets start from the top :)

If you have installed the STA2 Classic Mod, you should have a Mods folder inside your FleetOps folder. In my case, I have FleetOps on my storage drive so it's "D:\Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations\Data\Mods"

Inside here you should have whatever directory the STA2 Classic Mod creates. (Mods\STA2 Classic) for example.

You should also have downloaded the Texture Replacement Folder from the KA2 ModDB page.

Copy the Classic Mods folder and rename the copy to "CutDown".
Open this new folder. Find the textures folder. Delete it.
Open the Replacement Texture Folder RAR and copy the Textures folder from it to your new CutDown directory.

Now install KA2 EAW 1.3. It should install to Mods\KA2 EAW (so that if you open that folder, inside are the various config files, odf folder, sounds folder etc.)

Now run FleetOps, click Options then Mod Settings. It should have an option for "KA2 EAW Development"

Thank you, now works! :thumbsup: I will drink more cafee :lol:
posted on September 26th, 2014, 9:50 am
I was try all races, but app crash at different time :( This beta problem?
posted on September 26th, 2014, 8:04 pm
Could you be a tad more specific? Which races crash, and what are you building, doing etc when it crashes?
posted on September 27th, 2014, 6:55 am
Hi I'm new here and I apologise if i make mistakes ... :sweatdrop:
Also i finally managed to register myself which is my own fault...I tried a hundred times-sorry... :blush:
I em sorry about my bad english any misspellings typing errors or anything else but english is not my first language... :sweatdrop: U have wonderful website,wonderful community and wonderful community driven game-s... :thumbsup:
The Fleet Operations is fantastic and any other game mod here-but unfortunately i haven't try them all... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
About the topic-ka2 empire at war is great but crashes when lots of ships use their special and on some maps... :ermm:
posted on September 28th, 2014, 11:27 pm
Right, thanks to a valued community member :) i've hunted and squished a few more game breaking bugs. The patch (v.131) will be available soon (just been uploaded to modDb). It's very small, literally just a few ODFs.
posted on September 28th, 2014, 11:34 pm
Hi, I have been a long time fan of your mod. I recently downloaded the latest version, and followed the directions to install. including downloading STA2_Classic, creating "Fleetops\data\mods" folder, replacing the textures in "CutDown", installing KA2 1.3 into the mods folder.

I am having the trouble that when ever the game finishes the loading animation with the splash screen the game crashes. It also does this with classic to. The mod loads, and I can pick sides, but when I hit launch and the load animation finishes I am back at my desktop with the error that reads Fleet ops has stopped responding checking for solutions. Is there something I missed?
posted on September 28th, 2014, 11:35 pm
RIght, the critical part is that you deleted the texture folder from the CutDown folder, then copy and pasted the one provided. If you copy and paste and merely overwrite, the faulty files (those pesky _1 and _2 files) remain.
1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18