Norexan Rename (FO 3.2.7)

1, 2
posted on May 14th, 2013, 7:51 am
Edits the name of the Norexan Class, into Valdore or Mogai. There is two seperate archives included in the Zip file, one for each name.

Attachments

(FO 3.2.7) Norexan rename.zip
Both mods are in here
(112.16 KiB) Downloaded 488 times
posted on May 16th, 2013, 2:07 am
small but crucial details are always nice, like frosting on the cake ;)
posted on July 5th, 2013, 7:47 am
But sadly, it's incorrect :lol:
Norexan is the real name of the class and both Valdore and Mogai are just names of starship that represent the class. It's like you would call the Constitution, Galaxy or Sovereign classes all Enterprise Class.
posted on July 5th, 2013, 8:26 am
k_merse wrote:But sadly, it's incorrect :lol:
Norexan is the real name of the class and both Valdore and Mogai are just names of starship that represent the class. It's like you would call the Constitution, Galaxy or Sovereign classes all Enterprise Class.

you know you could do the basic research on this topic before you come into a thread with so much confidence.

the class has no canon name. we saw 2 ships of the class, 1 was named valdore. we can't even be 100% certain that both warbirds in nemesis were in the same class, they had different hull colours, they might be similar classes. that is the entirety of the information we have. norexan class, mogai class, valdore class, all 3 are equally acceptable. the naming of the class is a fan decision. the only thing we can call it without making a decision is "valdore type".
posted on July 5th, 2013, 8:48 am
Aye. we chose Norexan because we didn't like to name it after it's first show appearance and "Mogai" is a normal Romulan name for a Romulan vulture we already used for the constructor before Nemesis aired.
But all three have their canon foundations, so its up to you how to call it. In the "Fleet Operations Universe" its Norexan :)
posted on July 5th, 2013, 12:21 pm
It depends on what you accept as "official".
posted on July 5th, 2013, 2:05 pm
According to John Eaves, they always called it 'Valdore Class'.

It was always called the Valdore class in what we were doing! and this was the signature Valdore!
posted on July 5th, 2013, 2:41 pm
Personally, I call it "those bastard assassin ships" when AI bashing Romulans.
posted on July 5th, 2013, 5:06 pm
k_merse wrote:It depends on what you accept as "official".

official and canon are two very different things. canon is deliberately strict and is mostly simple: the 5 live action tv shows and the first 10 movies form the prime universe canon. the animated series is debated. the two jj films are the alternate universe canon. nothing else can ever be canon.

especially not a book or game. william shatner once took a shit on a typewriter, published it and got the star trek official license. try tell anybody shatnerverse is canon.

Tyler wrote:According to John Eaves, they always called it 'Valdore Class'.

sadly john eaves was never a character in a canon production. while show staffers are usually worth listening to, their words aren't canon either. the name they used for it behind the scenes never made it to the final product. personally, valdore class would satisfy me fine. you (in your op) have the right idea, let fans choose their own name for it.
posted on July 5th, 2013, 5:46 pm
Myles wrote:
k_merse wrote:
the class has no canon name. we saw 2 ships of the class, 1 was named valdore.

im trying to understand where each name came from..

so one ship was named Valdore and the other was?

Norexan came from?

Mogai came from?
posted on July 5th, 2013, 6:39 pm
Myles wrote:sadly john eaves was never a character in a canon production. while show staffers are usually worth listening to, their words aren't canon either. the name they used for it behind the scenes never made it to the final product. personally, valdore class would satisfy me fine. you (in your op) have the right idea, let fans choose their own name for it.

I didn't say it was canon, just pointing out an offical source where a class name was used.

I find it odd that several other ships are accepted under names only used by the creators, but not others.

hellodean wrote:Norexan came from?

Mogai came from?

Most likely made up by games and novels, I don't know of them being used anywhere else.
posted on July 5th, 2013, 8:18 pm
hellodean wrote:so one ship was named Valdore and the other was?

not given a name. it wasn't even confirmed as part of the same class as the valdore. it just looked incredibly similar, but in a different colour.

Tyler wrote:I find it odd that several other ships are accepted under names only used by the creators, but not others.

care to give examples? and define "accepted" more tightly. i would suggest accepted to be used unqualified as the class name in its memory alpha article title.
posted on July 6th, 2013, 12:26 am
Myles wrote:care to give examples? and define "accepted" more tightly. i would suggest accepted to be used unqualified as the class name in its memory alpha article title.

By 'accepted', I mean ones which are consistently called by a single name despite never being identified on-screen.

Ones like the Akira or Norway, which don't cause the same debates as the Valdore.
posted on July 6th, 2013, 10:59 am
Tyler wrote:Ones like the Akira or Norway, which don't cause the same debates as the Valdore.

akira is weird. i've only ever known it as akira class. the ma article has akira class unqualified, but i can't find a canon source for the name. technically you could make an argument for calling the akira class something else in a fan work without violating canon. i guess fans vote with their feet on this one, there's never been debate on akira class. the biggest factor is that no official work has ever contradicted it either.

with the valdore, we have no canon name, a staffer said valdore class (my personal vote), and official works have said mogai and norexan. if official sources can't even agree it, it's no wonder the fans haven't agreed.

the norway class is canon, see the ma article's background section, the class was clearly labelled in the background of a ds9 scene.
posted on July 6th, 2013, 1:13 pm
Never noticed that Norway label before, I've only seen it labeled in tech manuals and staff notes like the Akira.
1, 2