Classic A2 Borg question

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
posted on May 5th, 2015, 2:12 am
Possible bug? The Borg still require latinum to build other species stations and special weapons it's also still needed for planetary shields. Is this a known bug or is there a fix somewhere I can do?
posted on May 5th, 2015, 6:50 am
I think the borg can't build those things, they have to buy them from the ferengi :woot:
posted on May 5th, 2015, 10:23 am
You've obviously not played original A2. When the Borg capture a species station or construction ship, anything that normally requires latinum does not require latinum for the Borg because they don't trade. So if someone could give me a serious answer I'd appreciate it.
posted on May 5th, 2015, 1:50 pm
I was tearing things up in classic A2 not too long ago as the Borg, and I'm fairly certain after I assimilated planets, I could still build the planet shields just fine. I'm assuming it was just an oversight on tooltips and such.
posted on May 5th, 2015, 1:57 pm
Did you have problems using the tech assimilator station. I was playing 'there goes the neighborhood' and when i tried to research romulan weapons it said not enough latinum. Later i assimilated a rom const. Ship but couldnt build the research center same problem.
posted on May 5th, 2015, 4:26 pm
Never bothered with the campaign, actually. Hated it too much to give it a lookover. If I had to guess though, I believe each mission has it's own tech tree scripting, so that might have something to do with it.

...though now that I read that out loud... maybe not...
posted on May 6th, 2015, 12:56 am
I'm just wondering if anyone is having a problem with this and if there's a fix for it? I have the 2013 version of the classic A2 mod. Haven't been able to download the 2014 version.
posted on May 8th, 2015, 1:42 am
So how do I make the Borg NOT require latinum? I've looked all over for a resource or borg file but I can't really find anything.
posted on May 8th, 2015, 12:36 pm
If you're really this desperate about fixing these things, then go into the .odf files of the special weapons and remove the latinum costs yourself, because that's where the problem lies.

It's not the case that latinum is removed from Borg play, it just isn't needed for their techtree. When you start assimilating other races and need their tech, latinum will come into play.

It's like when I was lucky enough to "assimilate" some Species 8472 stuff. Once I could start building their ships and such, I needed biomatter, but since the Borg can't gather biomatter themselves, they need the assimilated 8472 ships to collect it for them.

The resources are always there, but once you start going into the other races, what resources you need will change up.
posted on May 15th, 2015, 5:59 am
ISS_Enterprise_D wrote: It's like when I was lucky enough to "assimilate" some Species 8472 stuff. Once I could start building their ships and such, I needed biomatter, but since the Borg can't gather biomatter themselves, they need the assimilated 8472 ships to collect it for them.

You've obviously have not played original A2 !!!...

You cannot assimilate Species 8472 stuff !!!...
posted on May 15th, 2015, 12:40 pm
I've played A2 longer than you buddy. And yes, you cannot "assimilate" 8472 per say... but you can trick their mother into building one of their ships while it's under your control. And then that ship is yours, so you can make a new mother.
posted on May 15th, 2015, 4:30 pm
ISS_Enterprise_D wrote: I've played A2 longer than you buddy. And yes, you cannot "assimilate" 8472 per say... but you can trick their mother into building one of their ships while it's under your control. And then that ship is yours, so you can make a new mother.

First of all you talk about "assimilating" Species 8472, not "trick their mother into building one of their ships while it's under your control."

Second - let's assume that you played A2 longer than me. That doesn't mean that you know everything and only your opinion matters, because you're some kind of expert on that or any other topic buddy...

Enterprise_D wrote: I was lucky enough to "assimilate" some Species 8472 stuff.
- NO

You used game gimmick that wasn't supposed to be !!!...
Species 8472 in that game was never supposed to be able to be assimilated (or taken over) by any other species in the game!!!... They (Species 8472) are supposed to be fight head on!...
You can use the ability of the Borg to "take over" Species 8472 "mother" and trick her into building one of their ships while it's under your control, but this is not "assimilating"!!!...
(Just like beaming in to a enemy ship is not "assimilating")!!!...
Even in the A2-Species 8472 tutorial is explicitly said that Species 8472 cannot be assimilated (or taken over) by any other species in the game - especially by the Borg!!!...
That was actually the greatest weakness of the Borg against Species 8472 - (inability to assimilate them)!...
posted on May 15th, 2015, 9:10 pm
OK buddy, now you're just being anal about this.

You wanna play semantics? Fine.

I CAPTURED the F*CKING SHIP. AS THE BORG. I still control them. Whether you assimilate or capture an enemy ship, you still control the damn thing, don't you? Yes. You do.

Was it meant to be in the final game? No, definitely not. But it is, after the patches and whatnot, so as far as I'm concerned it's a technique of the game. An underhanded one, but one all the same.

And also, given the fact I've been playing this game about 10 years and modding it for most of that time too, maybe I'm not a definitive expert on every single line of code in the game, but I know it almost back to front. So yeah, fairly certain I know a great deal more than you on the subject. Good day.
posted on May 15th, 2015, 11:31 pm
Enterprise_D wrote: OK buddy, now you're just being anal about this.

Considering that you are the one who's attacking me i disagree!...

Enterprise_D wrote: You wanna play semantics? Fine.

OK, LET'S PLAY!...

Enterprise_D wrote: I CAPTURED the F*CKING SHIP. AS THE BORG. I still control them. Whether you assimilate or capture an enemy ship, you still control the damn thing, don't you? Yes. You do.

It's not about that you control the enemy ship, it's about how you capture it - (through assimilation or through other methods)!...
You can't say
I was lucky enough to "assimilate" some Species 8472 stuff.
because you didn't "assimilate" Species 8472 stuff, you just control them by other means!...

Enterprise_D wrote: Was it meant to be in the final game? No, definitely not. But it is, after the patches and whatnot, so as far as I'm concerned it's a technique of the game. An underhanded one, but one all the same.

Yes, I totally agree - (but this is beside the point)!...
You can't say
I was lucky enough to "assimilate" some Species 8472 stuff.
because you didn't "assimilate" Species 8472 stuff, you just control them by other means!...

Enterprise_D wrote: And also, given the fact I've been playing this game about 10 years and modding it for most of that time too, maybe I'm not a definitive expert on every single line of code in the game, but I know it almost back to front. So yeah, fairly certain I know a great deal more than you on the subject. Good day.

First of all how did you know how long I've been playing and/or modding this game?!...
Second - let's assume that you played and modded A2 longer than me. That doesn't mean that you know everything and only your opinion matters!... And most of all that doesn't mean that only your opinion is relevant!...
And let's assume that you know a great deal more than me on the subject. That doesn't mean that you are immune to critical comment or remark from others!... Good day.