Tryptic's Mod: cleaning and streamlining

I want my 15 rapid-fire quantum torpedo launchers Uber-Defiant now! - Get help from modders. Share your work. Discuss modifications.
posted on September 6th, 2015, 6:03 pm
Hey guys! It's been a while and I don't know how many of you are left, but I wanted to give an update for those of you who are.

As many of you already know, I am a member of the U.S. armed forces. I've been tasked with a deployment, so I'm going to be very busy for several months beginning in late October. Before I go, I wanted to leave behind a more complete version of my mod, something that will last a while if I don't get back to it.

As such, I've reviewed the mod and given myself 4 main tasks before I leave:

1. Assign hotkeys to every ship, structure, research, and special ability in the game.
2. Fix the AI build lists to make it properly compatible with the mod for all 5 races.
3. Modify mixed tech for all of the races(This task was already mostly complete)
4. Fix various bugs and roll back some of the more experimental ideas in Tryptic's Mod. The original goal was for it to be like a balance patch for fleet ops, after all.

What I have

I've just finished adding hotkeys to the Borg, who are the most work out of the other races due to all the holding beams and regeneration. Mixed tech is almost done, and the AI files will follow.

What I need

I need a new model, or at least a new texture for the Generix Centurion refit. I have a darker one that I can use, but what I would like is one with two green lights on top, to be different from the Generix spectre which has one. If anyone is able and willing to help with this, please let me know!

I also need people to help test the balance of the game, or just to look for broken tooltips or hotkeys. Remember, anyone who makes a significant contribution to the mod will get their name added to the ship of their choice as a special name that sometimes shows up in game (like "Tryptic's Command Ship" or "Shadow's Interceptor")
posted on September 6th, 2015, 8:04 pm
Im all ways happy to help bug test you mod tryptic just let me know when sometime over the coming weekends i guess
posted on September 9th, 2015, 2:10 am
I am in for bug testing as well at least as far as obvious stuff goes since I don't know how to mod this engine at all.
posted on September 10th, 2015, 4:38 pm
Update: dominion hotkeys are complete.

I started looking at the AI files and really studying AI behavior. It seems like the AI totally ignores dilithium moons, has anybody worked on this before who can give me some better understanding of how it works?
posted on September 10th, 2015, 8:59 pm
Tryptic wrote:Update: dominion hotkeys are complete.

I started looking at the AI files and really studying AI behavior. It seems like the AI totally ignores dilithium moons, has anybody worked on this before who can give me some better understanding of how it works?

I am by no means an expert on this, but...

From what I have gathered, the AI always starts with an unlimited number of resources. Then it is programmed to build a set of buildings, and one of those 'building commands' builds a refinery by nearby moons. The AI doesn't actually 'use' the resources it gathers, but it does count the number of moons it controls. It uses that number to calculate what types of ships to build in what number. This is why it is possible for a dominion AI to build so many large ships even without a working supply mining station.

So, the AI kinda-sorta uses dilithium moons, but it doesn't actually use the resources like a player would. Sorry if you knew all that already...
posted on September 11th, 2015, 11:24 pm
afaik they are resource limited, they just have very high cost modifiers, making their ships almost free on higher difficulty settings.
posted on September 17th, 2015, 3:42 pm
Hey Tryptic don't know if you talk to shadow or not but he said the Fed AI is much better now best its been in FO iv yet to try it but he seem very happy with your work so keep it up bud :D They should put you on Dev Team we then might see N.X be for we all die.
posted on December 14th, 2015, 7:30 am
Just a quick status update:

-All AI are updated now, although I'm still tweaking Borg.
-Mixed-tech is mostly done across the board. I just need to add the Romulan-Klingon Mixed-Tech Centurion that gets troopship bonuses :woot:
-Hotkeys are mostly done. These require a whole bunch of testing though.

There is very little work remaining, I'm happy to say. You can expect to see some testing versions coming out in the next week :thumbsup: