New Guide FAQ - unable to select

guide.fleetops.net
posted on June 19th, 2010, 3:37 am
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on June 21st, 2010, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I put this here because it is so important that it deserves its own thread, as otherwise people are apt to miss it :)

[align=center]Help! I lost control of all my ships and can’t select anything![/align]

You’ve experienced the notorious and aptly named “can’t select anything bug”. First do not panic. This bug always occurs due to rapid clicking of the refit buttons on vessels, or when you upgrade offense/defense on the Tavara and starbases too quickly, causing the controls to lock up. If you simply hit one of the numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0) on your keyboard (not the numpad) it will unlock selection (don't use one of your fleet hotkeys).

There are several semi-solutions that seem to work.

Note that it is wise to first type that you have encountered this bug that way people do not boot you due to some of the following tricks.

The first is to hit escape and then reenter the game. Typing stuff into the chat button can also work or blindly typing just on screen may activate selection. Lastly, trying to select the unit or structure that gave you the issue and then trying to do something with it (like build a unit) can unlock your selection as well.
Good luck, and hopefully this does not occur for you.
posted on June 19th, 2010, 3:39 am
also if you hit any of the numbers on your keyboard ( not keypad ) you can unlock your freeze

:)
posted on June 19th, 2010, 4:44 am
no not for me but i did suicide all my forces against my enemies base and once they were all destroyed i regained control. Zebh and i won that game too :)
posted on June 19th, 2010, 5:09 am
Last edited by Dominus_Noctis on June 19th, 2010, 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arash8472 wrote:also if you hit any of the numbers on your keyboard ( not keypad ) you can unlock your freeze

:)

Oh wow, that's foolproof! Brilliant man!  :woot:  :thumbsup:

P.S. If Doca sees this thread and is still wondering how to replicate this bug, all he needs to do is rapidly click the first upgrade button of a starbase and it will lock up most of the time without fail.
posted on June 19th, 2010, 7:56 am
I had that bug before.
Does that fix also work if you dont have any fleet numbers assigned yet?
posted on June 19th, 2010, 2:37 pm
Hm, good question. I'd suggest not using the numbers of your fleets (I recall that just left me with the ability to select them, but not to do anything with them), but I wasn't able to replicate the bug again for some reason...
posted on June 21st, 2010, 2:34 pm
you can still do stuff with them you just have to use the hotkeys. e.g. I believe that M is the move order and that A is the attack order.
posted on June 21st, 2010, 3:38 pm
no if you have a fleet number it will not work, you will still be stuck. it needs to be one without fleet number..