Borg Identification Guide...

guide.fleetops.net
posted on August 9th, 2010, 4:19 pm
I'm still having problems identifying the different Borg variants in-game from the tool-tips (especially in-combat), mostly because I just don't have the time to ID & track each one once I spot them.

I've seen Mal and Yando click on a Borg ship in the replays, and say that "this is this" or "that is that", but what exactly are they looking at?  It's pretty simple to ID Scubes and Dodecs as Intercept/Regen/EM/etc...after those however, it becomes a bit more difficult.

Perhaps just a section of the guide that deals with those little green icons on the ships, and what they stand for?
posted on August 9th, 2010, 4:52 pm
Agreed! Im having trouble identifiying everything bigger than a assimilator.A section in the guide would be helpfull :)
posted on August 9th, 2010, 5:21 pm
The guide's database will include passive/special icons in future.
posted on August 9th, 2010, 5:30 pm
well you can look at the passives and know what is most likely.

for scubes: its obvious, em scube has em field passive. intercept scube has torp weapon etc

for dodeca: double vinca has the specials icons, inter/regen has torp, microtech, liquid torps. double inter has torp and liquid torps only.

for adaptors: also obvious, if its not got the race adaption passive then it can only have 1 config.

for assims: torp compensation means at least 1 torp module is there. the number at the bottom right corner of the passive icon indicates how many. a 2 means 2 torps. if there is microtech then they have regen. if there is a beam then there is a beam module. nanite factory indicates well u can guess that. so if it has auto assim special and microtech then its 2 auto assim and 1 regen. if its beam weapon, torp comp and microtech then its beam torp regen modules.

for spheres: these nearly always have 3 regen and 1 something else. just identify the other thing. if a torp weapon is there then its 3 regen 1 torp. if its deflector dominator then its 3 regen 1 prime. i always build 3 regen 1 holding, so mine have the holding beam special. if its 3 beam then the sphere will have the beam compensation passive icon with a little 3 in the corner.

for diamonds: i always make them with 3 otc.

cubes: usually either 2 armour, regen, 3 torp or 2 armour, regen, 2 torp, 1 beam. other modules will be present if the player has too little money lol. look at the number next to the torp compensation icon.
posted on August 9th, 2010, 5:33 pm
I think the problem is that the icons are small and some of them look just like each other, it can be hard to tell at a glance. Would be nice if each module had a letter to identify it.
posted on August 9th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Well, I'm usually looking at the special energy amount when I scan a vessel, or by the off/def/sys stats.  If you want a fast reference and don't feel like memorizing all that, just make the borg ships you encounter the most, write down their special energy amounts, and then you have a handy paper that will tell you what you're up against. ^-^