Death of Armada2Files

Which race do you like most? What do you like - what you don't like? Discuss it here.
1, 2
posted on July 26th, 2015, 5:00 pm
I expect many of you have heard already, but the FileFront network has finally been taken down. This leaves only this site, Armada Fleet Command, and MSFC. Fortunately, most of the old files can still be found on the main GameFront site, but they're not always in the right location or labeled properly and we have no idea how long it will last. If you uploaded anything there, please re-upload it to either AFC or MSFC.
posted on July 26th, 2015, 8:55 pm
I knew this day would come.

I am glad AFC is still going. Hopefully, files are uploaded there (MFSC is a little restrictive when it comes to downloads)
posted on July 27th, 2015, 4:08 pm
I would never have believed such a thing as this page will close.

Aniway, I cannot download anything from this site, for almost 3-4 years, when they decide restrictions for some country's. And that was a bad idea, to not allow for people to download things from their site. And finally, they are closed :-)

Well, it's a good thing that we have the Armada fleet command site, because I'm using some ships from there to my mods :-) and there are mods that can be still used.

About MSFC, that is a restricted site, that allow to be a member if you need something from there :-)

And don't forget the Fleet ops site //www.fleetops.net/, because I learned a lot about modding ST Armada 2 and FO. This one is a good site and you can found here some great models and mods too and a learning guide, how to mod FO. This site is my inspiration my friend :-)

well, don't forget this site where we still can download some A1 and A2 mods or ships:

Armada 1:

http://www.moddb.com/mods?filter=t&kw=S ... =261&type=

Armada 2:

http://www.moddb.com/mods?filter=t&kw=S ... e=35&type=

The Internet it's a big place, it's impossible NOT to find some ships and stations for ST Armada 2.

A mod that bring Classic Armada 2 into Fleet Operations:
http://www.moddb.com/games/star-trek-ar ... a2-classic

Star Trek Armada 2 Group on DeviantArt: http://star-trek-armada-2.deviantart.com/
posted on July 28th, 2015, 3:53 am
About MSFC, that is a restricted site, that allow to be a member if you need something from there :-)

Some of us are not permitted to be members there.
posted on July 28th, 2015, 12:59 pm
A temporary solution until I can rehost all the files and create a new website:

http://web.archive.org/web/201409010411 ... com/files/
posted on July 28th, 2015, 3:44 pm
I have a copy of 99% of files that were hosted on A2F including their screenshots and a database of their full description, user comments and proper categories. I plan to make these available on a separate site within the next few weeks.
posted on July 28th, 2015, 6:54 pm
I saw this day coming for a long time, but that doesn't make it hurt any less. I was part of the site staff for a while, and I have first-hand experience with the horrendous state the backend (and, towards the end, the frontend) was in.

DOCa Cola wrote:I have a copy of 99% of files that were hosted on A2F including their screenshots and a database of their full description, user comments and proper categories. I plan to make these available on a separate site within the next few weeks.

That would be a godsend, Doca. I have no idea if and when the gamefront folks will make all of the network site archives available. Plus, the descriptions and comments are such a large part of what made A2Files what it was, it would be a shame to have lost them all. If there are any files you don't have in your archive, let us know. Many of us old time modders maintain our own small archives that might be able to bring you up to 100%.

Squire James wrote:

And I don't think MSFC is really suited as a replacement for A2F. It's a completely different site that has grown out of the A2 community. Nevertheless, it's not a bad place to hang out if one wants to chat with like-minded folks now that A2F is gone.
posted on July 28th, 2015, 7:58 pm
DOCa Cola wrote:I have a copy of 99% of files that were hosted on A2F including their screenshots and a database of their full description, user comments and proper categories. I plan to make these available on a separate site within the next few weeks.

Excellent news! That will make my own archiving project much easier.

Terra_Inc wrote:
Squire James wrote:

And I don't think MSFC is really suited as a replacement for A2F. It's a completely different site that has grown out of the A2 community. Nevertheless, it's not a bad place to hang out if one wants to chat with like-minded folks now that A2F is gone.

True, but we should probably have as many mirrors as possible. Even with our private collections and DOCa's archive, it's likely that a number of files are gone for good. The more duplicates we have of each file, the less likely that is to happen again.
posted on July 28th, 2015, 8:06 pm
CABAL wrote:
Terra_Inc wrote:And I don't think MSFC is really suited as a replacement for A2F. It's a completely different site that has grown out of the A2 community. Nevertheless, it's not a bad place to hang out if one wants to chat with like-minded folks now that A2F is gone.

True, but we should probably have as many mirrors as possible. Even with our private collections and DOCa's archive, it's likely that a number of files are gone for good. The more duplicates we have of each file, the less likely that is to happen again.

Yeah, I definitely agree with that. :thumbsup:
posted on July 31st, 2015, 10:16 am
Armada 2 files was where I got started. I learned how to mod through that website and naturally discovered Fleetops there. This is probably the first and only time I've actully been kind of upset at a website (or part of one anyway) shutting down despite the fact that it's been mostly dead there for some time. I still remember the first mod I downloaded from filefront, Andrew_Of_Borg's Species 9341 mod. I can't believe it's been a decade now. :lol:
posted on July 31st, 2015, 3:34 pm
Here is a list of files currently missing in my archive. http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=DEc0cppm
If anyone got them, it'd be a great help.
Notes:
- Some files listed are still present on the filefront file server, however they cannot be downloaded for some reason. This concerns all the pdf and gif files.
- Dominus should be able to provide me with the missing hitchhiker's guide pdfs :)
- Since i created my file lists with the help of archive.org and google cache, some files that were removed from Armada2Files at some point are included as well. I assume the music files for example were removed at some point due to copyright concerns.
- Some files on the list aren't that critical i'd say. For completeness it'd be still nice to have them.

Currently i have 2992 files with full descriptions in my archive. Plus descriptions for the 32 that are on the 'missing' list. That'd be 3024. The latest archived version of A2F shows 3076 files total in their statistics. However this number might include deleted/deactivated files, too. So i'd say the archive is pretty close to be complete already.
posted on July 31st, 2015, 4:23 pm
Ah, good. I can send you Aad's ship packs and Dan's Intrepid. Hold on a moment.

EDIT: Yes, here they are. Do you have an email address I can send them to?
posted on July 31st, 2015, 4:46 pm
thank you!
sure. my mail: docacola@fleetops.net
posted on July 31st, 2015, 4:58 pm
Is the "SOD Exporter 3dsMax Script" version 1.5 specifically? I have 1.5.2.
posted on July 31st, 2015, 5:06 pm
i assume, yes. The full description says it is version 1.5
1.5 Bug Fix: Dec 24, 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/20130521144 ... box;121474

in this case it wouldn't be a huge loss if we have a newer version available
1, 2