Make FO 4.0 Loader Open Source or Finish Loader

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
posted on December 9th, 2014, 2:04 pm
Because FO 4.0 is no longer being developed, I would like to request that the loader be made open source. If that's not possible, then can the loader (and only the loader) be completed to what would be required for a 4.0 release.
posted on December 9th, 2014, 9:13 pm
I thought the devs only released the 4.0 loader as a favour for certain modders, with no support whatsoever?
posted on December 9th, 2014, 10:55 pm
Yeah, that was the deal.

And either of the things you've requested are massive amounts of work. Do you really want to take more of their time away from Fleet Ops NX?
posted on December 9th, 2014, 11:52 pm
Atlantis wrote:Yeah, that was the deal.

And either of the things you've requested are massive amounts of work. Do you really want to take more of their time away from Fleet Ops NX?

Assuming they still have the source code, uploading it somewhere would be pretty straight-forward. Finishing it would be extremely time consuming, though.
posted on December 10th, 2014, 1:08 am
cabal wrote:
Atlantis wrote:Yeah, that was the deal.

Assuming they still have the source code, uploading it somewhere would be pretty straight-forward. Finishing it would be extremely time consuming, though.

If they just release the source code, then those who want to deal with it can go through all the hard work and the NX developers won't lose very much (if any) time at all.
posted on December 10th, 2014, 1:19 am
It'd take more digging than I have time for right now, but I'm sure the question of source code release was raised previously, with the answer being a categorical no.
posted on December 11th, 2014, 12:38 am
Any chance of getting the 4.0 loader to work at all? I try it and nothing loads at all.
posted on December 14th, 2014, 3:02 am
Long ago we had thought about uploading our toolsets etc, but it's A) not that easy to do so (system and program specific; we'd have to write lots of readmes etc) and B ) some of the toolsets are proprietary and 'cracked' code is definitely not releasable online and C) somebody has to have the knowledge to know what to do with this stuff. If somebody already had the knowledge, we presume they'd already have figured out how to edit stuff in FO loader as is. Catch-22

The v4 loader will load only if you edit the packages config file to read Version=4.0.0.
posted on August 16th, 2015, 8:23 am
for all those who are intrested in fo4.0 working me and TChampman500 are working together and doing a fair level of progress to get fo3 stuff working correctly with the new loader (ive also spent a little bit of time looking at some of the new fo4 stuff to figure those stuff out for future possible releases) but due to changes in fo4 this has been taking a little longer than expected as some things no longer work how they used to and were also looking into reducing as many odfs as we can