Borg Cubes and Realism....

Post ideas and suggestions on new features or improvements here.
1, 2
posted on July 26th, 2003, 2:07 am
Why dont' you make a TNG "Realistic" Borg cube and have it require credits? Make it just as powerfull and the right size, bu thave it cost like 6 credits or something so you can only have one. And then have the Transwarp hub cost fewer credits and then the Fusion cube just cost a whole lot.
posted on July 26th, 2003, 7:54 am
i don't like the idea of such super vessels. The Fusion cube is the best borg ship and i think it should stay it :)
posted on July 26th, 2003, 2:14 pm
Realy? Best borg ship? I never thought so....

Well, it was just an idea. I hate seeing a whole fleet of cubes get wipped out like their nothing....
posted on July 26th, 2003, 2:56 pm
think shield lowering torps.
posted on August 29th, 2003, 11:43 pm
iv got to addmit its very depressing watching a fleet of cubes pushed out the way bye a fleet of soves, just becuse of every film or tv epasode ever cubes are rock hard and not very often do u see more than 1, soo...i kind of like the idear of haveing a high credited cube that can portray a cube well...but u only see 1 of them at a time and very rearly, so when u see the cube u say holy mother of kirk and grab the nerest fleet and attack it, :-) this would be fun, also it would encurage stratagy when useing the cube becuse of its value u dont want to lose it...humm maby u could think about it..pls :P
posted on August 30th, 2003, 12:19 am
the big problem would be balancing, as borg you would have to invest very much ressources you'd have to save making a borg player vulnerable, also a cube would be proned for special abilities like 'oh there comes the big cube, here look at my vorcha with polaron torpedo and it's weapons are gone'. the other problem is, how strong should that cube be? 10x times stronger? 20x times stronger? and how long should it take to produce such a cube? and how long should it take to produce this cube then? 10 or 20 minutes? in this time your base is crushed by the sovy fleet and your shipyard too :)
it would just be unfair for borg players to have 'super cubes' what also would not meet our objective as we began to make fleet ops. waiting more than 5 minuts for a ship in a strategy game is just boring and 5 minutes are a long time.

DOCa Cola
posted on August 30th, 2003, 4:56 am
that is true but could there be a compromidse?? people are allready mass producing cubes like crazy, could a super cube be built of a special yard taking 5 or 10 min to make one and only one at a time, that way the borge player can get a realistic cube, and still have a base with some kind of defences. the only other problem to this is some one would raise a holy fit if 1 super cube trashed there base but it would be closer to the movie, so i see both sides. i wouldnt mind a super cube ie new borge leaders cube, lose it and its gone.that way if you use it as a hero vessel, and lose it your hero would be gone. but as i am not a mod team member and only a huge fan all i can do is say i will play it no matter how its made and maybe make a suggestion once in a while . as we are all different we will all want somehting different in the mod, thats understandable, and normal. Doca and the others from what i have seen in screenies are doin a great job. kkep it up Doca :)
posted on August 30th, 2003, 8:53 am
DOCa :cry:
keep it running, DOCa :cry:

well.. we have a super cube in armada2.. the fusion cube.. and i hate him.. it is a totaly unbalanced super vessel.
the borg cubes are powerful battleships, and in a "normal" game (maximum players on map, no endless money, no build time reductions) you do not produce cubes like crazy.. a singel cube is in fact powerful (most battles i have seen end up with 3 or 4 cubes).. ok in beta1.1 the AI is not as powerfull as in beta2, so there is time for the player to build up his fleet like crazy :D
the most powerful vessel for the borg is the fusion cube, for those who like it.
posted on August 30th, 2003, 10:28 am
i remember a fed singleplayer mission in armada2, when u hear the voice " something big is coming this way" or something like that.
and the big thing is borg fusion cube. it was easily destroyed in 20sec with about 10 sovereigns and their corbomit reflector. i know i lost about one or two ships... :lol:
NieKnight
posted on August 30th, 2003, 5:19 pm
it was quite funney with me as the enterprise went though the worm hole befor it came out so i never saw it
posted on August 30th, 2003, 5:21 pm
Last edited by DOCa Cola on August 30th, 2003, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
never played the armada 2 missions :)
i don't think the fleetops fusion cube is too strong, it is not easy to get and alone it is helpless, it is a good support unit

DOCa Cola
posted on August 30th, 2003, 10:19 pm
yeah, my big cube got knoked out by a enourmous fleet of sabers, with a transwarp gate nearby too :( it was goin gin then it sailed out in pieces
NieKnight
posted on August 31st, 2003, 11:09 am
kkep it up Doca :)

just thouht that optec needed some credeit
posted on September 2nd, 2003, 3:39 pm
the fusion is ok but it sholdnt be a support vessel it should be like a dreadnought,
able to destroy almost anything taking atleast a massive fleet to detroy it. im only saying this because a cube has 6 sides each side has 2 weapon ports and a holding beam point, when you merge the 8 to get a fusion, the fusion seem to lose the extra fireing points from the merge for some reason. just my 2 cents guys and gals

keep up the good work optec, doca and the rest of the team :D
posted on September 2nd, 2003, 3:57 pm
the fusion cube in fleet operations is made of scout cubes :wacko:

jep every side of a scout cube has one high.energy-torpedo-launcher, but a scout cube has not enough energy to fire instant torpedos at all sides (same to federation vessels by the way, yep they have let's say 24 phaser arrays, but that doesn't mean they can use all of them the same time..)
fused in a fusion cube the 8 scoutcubes can access beam weapons and the shield removing torpedo.. think it's fair.. and my "strength to money" calculator indicates that you save money from fusing a fusion cube (compared as if you would have to build it as a normal vessel - what you will never be able to)
1, 2