Creating New Race

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on May 19th, 2014, 2:15 am
I have a sound issue with a new race I created. I copied the borg.odf file and changed it to alternateborg.odf. Inside the file I changed only a couple of references as it pertains to the new race. However, in game there is no sound for the new race even though all the original borg sounds are still listed. Everything else works fine and they are added to the game and play fine. The only sound that plays is when the new race fuses their cubes otherwise nothing.

Is there something that I'm missing why my new race doesn't have any voices/sound effects?
posted on May 19th, 2014, 2:36 am
Ah yes, that old monster. There is a master .odf which points to the others. Every event set for every race is in it. I had tried transplanting the Vulcans in with other mods and discovered it. Can't tell you where it is, but be prepared to give the better part of a couple days to it if you really want to do it.
posted on May 19th, 2014, 2:45 am
Cool, thank you. I think I just found it too. I believe it's the events.dat file in the main directory. Looks like it's all the sound settings for races. Holy crap this is going to be a lot of editing. :o
posted on May 19th, 2014, 2:53 am
Glad I could help. A minor note to watch out for, and this is why I don't try to mod STA:II anymore, watch how many races you set up. The game max is 13 I believe with NPCs included. After that, fully functioning races simply disappear from the selection queue. I learned that one the hard way.

I think you can get away with removing the NPCs from that list without doing any harm. But if you're thinking of adding more races, it's best to wait until you have them all. Then comes the joyous task of editing the events file.

Also, I'd recommend Notepad++ if you don't have it already. Makes things a little easier.
posted on May 19th, 2014, 3:04 am
Thank you for the help. I'm actually only adding one race as a surprise for the Upgrade Project so no worry there.

I've also used notepad ++ for years and love it.
posted on May 20th, 2014, 7:19 am
Yeah notepad++ is awesome I use it to work on MSFC too. :D

A trick for editing that file, you could copy the contents (all the entries) into another file then replace say borg with the name of your race and then copy the new edited entries back over. It would save a lot of typing, though I don't know if it would be easier than just coping each borg line individually and deleting the borg entry of the duplicated entry and typing in your new race name.
posted on May 20th, 2014, 4:16 pm
I never thought of your suggestions Majestic. DOH

Right after Jinseta pointed me towards the file I just sat down and banged out the changes. I did just copy the borg line and changed the name. Took me about 45 minutes, so wasn't as bad as I thought, but still. :)
posted on May 21st, 2014, 3:00 am
Glad that worked out for you.

I had tried to edit that file on years back on an XP machine not having notepad++. I had hoped to transplant the Vulcans in with a three-race mod that had the Tholians. They all had well written AI. The Vulcans were tough and Tholians were hard as hell.

After a couple days and finding out I couldn't have them all, I figured screw it, I'll just find a decent total convert. And then I met FO. :wub: Don't regret a moment ^_^
posted on May 23rd, 2014, 7:33 am
rifraf wrote:I never thought of your suggestions Majestic. DOH

Right after Jinseta pointed me towards the file I just sat down and banged out the changes. I did just copy the borg line and changed the name. Took me about 45 minutes, so wasn't as bad as I thought, but still. :)

No problems Rifraf, at least next time you have an alternative if you wish to take it. :D