Armada 1 in Windows 8 - Won't open

Talk about anything related to old versions of Armada.
posted on September 1st, 2013, 8:26 pm
I recently got a Windows 8 laptop and have tried to install my older games to it to play. Star Trek Armada is the only one that will not open at all. Well...the splash screen appears, but then it just vanishes and...nothing. Dungeon Keeper and Red Alert 2 are a couple of the other games I've tried to make work and both work perfectly, so does anyone know what Armada has that they don't that's preventing it from starting? It's the PC game I've enjoyed and played the most and I'd really like to get it working on this laptop as my old one barely has any battery life now.

And yes, I've tried to boot it up in each compatibility mode and with 16 bit colours and with the set resolution. Nothing in the compatibility tab has worked. I've also tried the 1.3 patch and performed an uninstall and reinstall.
posted on September 1st, 2013, 9:29 pm
This is a Win8 issue, and as far as I know, no solution had been found. The same machine running WIn7 loads A1 just fine, but not while running Win8.

I don't run WIn8, so haven't tried myself, but this is what seems to be the general conclusion.
posted on September 1st, 2013, 9:58 pm
Ahh well...that's irritating. Thanks anyway.
posted on January 19th, 2014, 2:17 pm
5 of 13 wrote:I recently got a Windows 8 laptop and have tried to install my older games to it to play. Star Trek Armada is the only one that will not open at all. Well...the splash screen appears, but then it just vanishes and...nothing. Dungeon Keeper and Red Alert 2 are a couple of the other games I've tried to make work and both work perfectly, so does anyone know what Armada has that they don't that's preventing it from starting? It's the PC game I've enjoyed and played the most and I'd really like to get it working on this laptop as my old one barely has any battery life now.

And yes, I've tried to boot it up in each compatibility mode and with 16 bit colours and with the set resolution. Nothing in the compatibility tab has worked. I've also tried the 1.3 patch and performed an uninstall and reinstall.

I had a similar issue with Armada 2, but using FleetOps with the A2 Classic mod worked just fine. Wonder if there's a mod for A1! If there is, that could be your answer. Warning: FleetOps is 244MB and took me several hours to download even though I have high speed internet and the A2 Classic was 435MB and also took several hours to download. :hmmm: So if you're short on time, don't attempt this!
posted on January 19th, 2014, 6:33 pm
There is an A1 mod for Fleet Ops, but it's not finished yet. It is called Super Classic. The thread is here.